PDA

View Full Version : Flickr ...

arnica
08-02-2012, 2:12pm
Hi Guys,

I was having a look at some pics on Flickr and noticed that most of the members on there were "Pro". I understand that in order to become a "Pro" member, there is a yearly subscription fee.

Here’s what you get with Flickr Pro

Unlimited uploads and storage
Unlimited sets and collections
Access to your original files
Stats on your account
Ad-free browsing and sharing
HD video uploads & playback

I never understood why people would go "Pro". I've got nothing against it, I just wanted to find out why ...

rene52
08-02-2012, 2:28pm
It depends I suppose. I usually find that the site is more of a photo dumping ground (now mind you I have my photos up there and yes I have a pro account) the main reason I had to go the pro way was because I had more than 200 photos that I wanted to show off. I only upload the small versions at low resolution though. I do also sometimes watermak my photos but I have steered away as some of the groups and comps I joined require no watermarks.

rellik666
08-02-2012, 2:38pm
I am pro too.....why wouldn't you be? $40 for 2 years worth of unlimited storage and an easy way to display to family and friends?

I mainly use it as 3rd and final backup if all my hard drives failed.......

Xenedis
08-02-2012, 3:06pm
I never understood why people would go "Pro". I've got nothing against it, I just wanted to find out why ...

Being limited to only three sets (ie, albums) and 200 of my most recent photos on display, plus the numerous other limitations, doesn't appeal to me.

When I joined Flickr in January of 2006, I had a free account for all of five or ten minutes before I upgraded it.

KeeFy
08-02-2012, 3:10pm
I am pro too.....why wouldn't you be? $40 for 2 years worth of unlimited storage and an easy way to display to family and friends?

I mainly use it as 3rd and final backup if all my hard drives failed.......

Same. I use it mainly as my photo backup. All i do is use lightroom to sync the final image and tada. Done. Good as a database for your photos that you can view and extract the full picture if you needed to without being near your own computer.

enVision
08-02-2012, 4:08pm
what's wrong with photobucket? May not have the same reputation at flickr, but I've never had a problem with it, and it stays free.

ricktas
08-02-2012, 6:22pm
what's wrong with photobucket? May not have the same reputation at flickr, but I've never had a problem with it, and it stays free.

Photobucket also has a paid service, that lets you do more too.

It is offering more with a paid service and each person just needs to work out what they want from a hosting service and pay or not.

Kerrie
08-02-2012, 6:26pm
I thought that "pro" status meant that the person was a professional photographer :Doh:

I learn something new every day here

geoffsta
08-02-2012, 6:40pm
I only use flickr so I can show my images on here. I have 2 backups ( One internal One External ) Plus the one I upload my images on.
I only went pro so I could do just that little bit more if I want.
I'm not a pro, and don't want to be. But it's good to show family and friends my images.

Jimbo
14-02-2012, 9:54pm
Flickr also has a social network aspect to it, and there's a lot of people that devote a lot of effort to getting their photos "favourited" to achieve Explore status. I have read that it's hard to do this unless you have a "Pro" account.

Allie
15-02-2012, 12:06am
I had a pro account with photobucket and there is no way I'll ever fit that description as a photographer (both by lack of intent and the fact I just don't get to take enough photos :scared:) but for programs that I use and like, I want to support the application developers. This pro account has currently lapsed with photobucket but I'll reactivate it soon.

Mark L
15-02-2012, 9:47pm
......... This pro account has currently lapsed with photobucket but I'll reactivate it soon.
They'll get by without your money. Donate it to Rick instead.:D

Roosta
16-02-2012, 10:42am
I've set mine up for the Rugby Union stuff I shoot, saves me putting them somewhere else, easliy accesible to all that need to see them, and can flick me an email and say No 3 please, done deal.

And it saves AP wearing the upload space.

Erin
17-02-2012, 10:07am
Photobucket takes a age to load.

Love Flickr for the social aspect and that, out of all the gallery/storage solutions, it's the one that seems the most intuitive for me. Pro accounts are cool because it unlocks various features which is great for those into resource sharing too.

Bax
17-02-2012, 12:19pm
I'm a pro as well. The name is somewhat ridiculous - as I don't want to imply to other people that I'm a pro, its just that I could be bothered paying for extra storage and tools. The AUD was up when my year expired so I bought another two. Why not.

ricktas
17-02-2012, 2:08pm
The other thing about being "Pro" is that you are supporting the site. Yes to make a profit, but also to pay their programmers, coders, staff and service providers to ensure that Flickr, or any other membership based site for that matter, remains a viable company and continues to run.

Its just a business model. The same as any other business that charges for a service.

So yes, you get extra benefits, by being a Pro (paying) site member on Flickr, but you also contribute to the site and ensure it keeps on existing.

Ezookiel
17-02-2012, 3:10pm
I've been a bit put off going there due to the odd way they have of embedding an image for viewing here. Photobucket make that an absolute cinch, it even puts the information on your clipboard for you so you don't even have to copy the details ready to paste them here.
There was a thread here a while back explaining the "right" way to show flickr images, that seemed ridiculous to me to be so overly structured for such a simple - and most highly sort after - capability as displaying a photo on forums.
I can see I'm going to have to go over there and see why so many choose it over photobucket, I'm mainly with them because I don't think flickr even existed when PB first started up, and I've been putting stuff up on forums since they were bulletinboards, and you dialed into them.

Xenedis
17-02-2012, 4:18pm
I've been a bit put off going there due to the odd way they have of embedding an image for viewing here. Photobucket make that an absolute cinch, it even puts the information on your clipboard for you so you don't even have to copy the details ready to paste them here.
There was a thread here a while back explaining the "right" way to show flickr images, that seemed ridiculous to me to be so overly structured for such a simple - and most highly sort after - capability as displaying a photo on forums.

I really don't see what the perceived difficulty is.

Click 'Share', copy the code which pops up, and you're good to go.

ricktas
17-02-2012, 4:24pm
I can see I'm going to have to go over there and see why so many choose it over photobucket, I'm mainly with them because I don't think flickr even existed when PB first started up, and I've been putting stuff up on forums since they were bulletinboards, and you dialed into them.

Flickr just like a 'back-link' to their site. Consider it advertising! They give you free space to store your photos (unless you pay for a pro account), so they want to get something back as well, so the 'back-link' gets the Flickr name out there.

In the end, linking from Photobucket, Flickr, Picasa, smugmug, facebook, etc is good for AP, cause it keeps our bandwidth down as we are not hosting or serving up your photo to everyone who views your thread. The display of the photo is done via your hosting site and uses their bandwidth.