PDA

View Full Version : Lightroom Q's

MiniFighter
31-01-2012, 10:27pm
Howdy all :)

As you may have read somewhere over the forums i have recently purchased LR :D. I have been self teaching but want to learn more.

I have a few things that i would like to do, i was wondering if anyone could tell me if it were possible to do these in Lightroom (and with an EOS1100d lol)

Stitch images together to make a pano.
Layer images like they do when shooting star trails.
Im also struggling a little with selective colouring.

Any help, direction, assistance or mockery most welcome :)

Wayne.

Rockwallaby
01-02-2012, 1:29am
Hi Wayne,

You cannot stitch images together within LR, however if you have Photoshop you can from LR by doing this -

Select images to stitch in the filmstrip
Go to the "Photo" menu at the top
Go to "edit in"
Select "merge to panorama in Photoshop.

It will open Photoshop so you can stitch away.

No layers function in LR but doing similar to the panorama you can open Photoshop with each image as a separate layer.

* removed- see the site rules, in particular 3-7*

Cheers,
Ian

Rockwallaby
01-02-2012, 12:04pm
Hi again Wayne,

the above reply was my first post here and apparently I have been a naughty boy for posting a helpful link.

The link was to videos by Julieanne Kost which I have found very helpful in learning LR. I wanted to give you a direct link to her website but that is not allowed, I suggest you do a google for Julieanne Kost.

Cheers,

Kym
01-02-2012, 1:04pm
@Rockwallaby -- please refer to the site rules #4
BTW the reason for that rule is fundamentally anti-spam and also to prevent people either promoting or dissing another site.

dieselpower
01-02-2012, 1:35pm
If you already use pano editing software that's not photoshop, you might be able to create an export profile or alternate external edit profile to export images out to your select editor in a format it understands properly (eg. tiff).

Also newer versions of AutoPano Giga contain an export profile which will take the images over to AutoPano for you. I can't give specific help at the moment as I'm not on a computer with LightRoom - if you want more details on how to do either of the above just shout and I'll type it out.

As Ian said above, Pano and Layering ability is not present natively. You could simulate layering with the adjustment brushes, by painting the same area with multiple brushes to give the effect/s you want. Note however this only applies to the local adjustment brushes, no other tools have this ability.

Selective colouring works by a similar process. Use an adjustment brush, set the saturation slider to -100 and paint around what you want to remain in colour. It's a bit clunky but gets the job done.

kiwi
01-02-2012, 1:58pm
Wayne, check out the Lightroom plugins available.

I'll make it easy re selective colouring - just dont :-)

andrewda
06-02-2012, 8:25am
Hi Wyane,

As stated above you can not stitch or have layers in Lightroom. There is a plugin call Perfect Layers which is the only way to have layers in Lightroom. The best way to stitch is within photoshop.

Regards, Andrew