PDA

View Full Version : Sports Lover - New to the Site and New to Photography

Gavo
18-01-2012, 1:40am
I am a passionate sports fan and have always wished to photograph it as a hobbie. Due to the expense of it I put the idea on the backburner many years ago as it was somehting I couldn't afford. Last week it finally dawned on me that I no longer lived under the financial constraints I used to and I decided it was time. So on Wednesday I started shopping and by Friday I had a camera (Canon 550D). Entry level camera I know but the last camera I had owned was a Kodak 110 so I didn't want to complicant things too much. I also grabbed a Sigma 70-300 DG Macro lens and headed to the baseball to get some pics. I put the camera on the sports setting and fired away. Friday night they were ok, Saturday a little better, but on Sunday afternoon they were fantastic. I have done some reading and I now have a little bit of an understanding as to why they were so much better in the afternoon light. Tomorrow I will head to the ballpark again and play around with the settings manually to see if I can improve my shots. Something tells me it is a long road ahead... At least it will be a fun one.

ricktas
18-01-2012, 6:14am
Welcome to AP Gavo. See you on the forums

Kym
18-01-2012, 8:50am
:gday: & Welcome
- lets see some photos in the main CC forums (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?5) and have fun! Maybe try a competition or 2.

Gavo
18-01-2012, 9:26am
Thanks guys...

I am quickly finding that out Kym. Using "sports" mode on a sunny afternoon I was getting 1/2000 shutter speeds. At a poorly lit night game, 1/60. Looks like I will have to experiment with manual mode. All part of the fun I guess.