PDA

View Full Version : I applied for this job

Duane Pipe
08-12-2011, 3:25pm
As some of you know I am unemployed due to Osteoarthritis and shoulder injuries.
Being a Welder by trade that's out of the question and with no farther education job opportunities are very limited in the Latrobe Valley, other than labouring, retail and being a professional there really is nothing, so I'm hoping that not to many people see this advertised.
I applied for the job online and emailed the employer a sample of my work which depicted my eye for composition and PP skills
so I hope I have bluffed them:D, just joking. I really hope that I can offer them what they are looking for.

http://www.seek.com.au/Job/amateur-photographer-wights-motor-world/in/traralgon-la-trobe-valley-traralgon-la-trobe-valley/21256876

Bennymiata
08-12-2011, 3:30pm
To me, they seem to want someone to work for almost nothing.

I wouldn't expect that they will pay you $100 an hour to do it, more like $15-20 an hour.

But hey, it's better than nothing!

Duane Pipe
08-12-2011, 4:10pm
Yeah that's right Benny, I am hoping for around $30ph but like you said its better than nothing
Im not that excited yet, I might not even get an interview ;)

kiwi
08-12-2011, 4:12pm
good luck.......

William
08-12-2011, 4:16pm
Good one Dave , Go for it

Quote : Successful applicants will be trustworthy, reliable, computer savvy, have excellent time management skills, and possess an eye for detail.

Sounds like you mate , At least it will get you out and around , Easy peasy, At least you dont have to get cars to smile :D

outstar79
08-12-2011, 4:29pm
Good luck Dave!

kiwi
08-12-2011, 4:33pm
FYI the reason they want a student is that the only have to pay 45% of the minimum hourly wage of $17.50 per hour

Now, that doesn't take into account the use of YOUR gear

Duane Pipe
08-12-2011, 4:38pm
Thats me for sure Bill. I have nothing to lose and every thing to gain.
I did ring him and gave a shot spiel about my situation and the reply was that he would look at my application, so I thought
that I should email him one of my pix.:th3:
I think I might approach him tomorrow in person that way I can baffle him with my Bull Sh!t, Oops sorry:D tell him a bit more about my self and my situation and also my photography experience as well as ask all the questions regarding the position, I'm gonna get my foot in the door before the other applicants ;)

Wayne
08-12-2011, 4:48pm
I agree with Benny and Kiwi.

They want a student, fair enough because it is probably very casual work with not a great deal of hours involved so people looking for FT work won't be interested.
They want an amateur because they likely know what a professional will charge, and also know lots of amateurs with a DSLR and a willingness to work for peanuts exist.

Car dealers are often cheap bastards, both when they sell you a car, and when you work for them....

William
08-12-2011, 4:52pm
I see where Darren and Wayne are coming from Re: Wages, But in your case I'd go and do it , Bit of extra spending money , And get you out of the house , It's not an 8hr day and you probably would'nt have to pay tax, But I know your situation , And it is a start , Oh well thats my opinion , Still say go for it - Bill ;)

Duane Pipe
08-12-2011, 5:04pm
FYI the reason they want a student is that the only have to pay 45% of the minimum hourly wage of $17.50 per hour

Now, that doesn't take into account the use of YOUR gear

Good point Darren, I have an ABN so maybe I could work under a contract, but don't forget I am only trying to get my foot in the door at the moment

Duane Pipe
08-12-2011, 5:15pm
Only a two weeks ago my local Push Bike dealer where I get my parts from actually told me to go to Whites and apply for a car delivery drivers position and to tell them that he sent me, although there was no positions he has people on the inside So maybe kill two birds
with the same stone

Duane Pipe
08-12-2011, 5:19pm
I agree with Benny and Kiwi.

They want a student, fair enough because it is probably very casual work with not a great deal of hours involved so people looking for FT work won't be interested.
They want an amateur because they likely know what a professional will charge, and also know lots of amateurs with a DSLR and a willingness to work for peanuts exist.

Car dealers are often cheap bastards, both when they sell you a car, and when you work for them....

Been there and dealt with car sales people/car yards and I totally agree they will tell any lie to make a sale or to save money

geoffsta
08-12-2011, 5:29pm
Best of luck Dave. Hope to see some automotive shots soon. I really hope you get in. Could lead to other opportunities. :th3:

Duane Pipe
08-12-2011, 5:30pm
I see where Darren and Wayne are coming from Re: Wages, But in your case I'd go and do it , Bit of extra spending money , And get you out of the house , It's not an 8hr day and you probably would'nt have to pay tax, But I know your situation , And it is a start , Oh well thats my opinion , Still say go for it - Bill ;)

Thats right Bill, get the hell out of the house" even if it only pays for diesel for the weekends adventures :th3:

Speedway
08-12-2011, 5:31pm
Good Luck Dave I hope it does give you a foot in and they are not just trying to get it on the cheap.
Keith.

Duane Pipe
08-12-2011, 5:59pm
If its an hourly rate thats reasonable I will be happy. Thanks Keith

Allie
08-12-2011, 7:34pm
Best wishes Dave and good on you for giving it a try too.:th3:

Mark L
08-12-2011, 8:24pm
We are looking at moving down your way, the last thing holding us back was the need for a little part-time employment. Thanks for the link Dave, there's now two applicants.
Just kidding.:D:D
Hope they understand that someone who is keen will give better results than the cheapest possible option. Good luck.

Shelley
08-12-2011, 8:35pm
Yeah, all the best Duane and really hope the employment situation improves for you.

camerasnoop
08-12-2011, 8:44pm
Yeah, good luck Dave.

reflect
08-12-2011, 10:17pm
Good luck and go for it, if it suits your situation then great and have a bit of fun doing it

mudman
08-12-2011, 10:40pm
good luck Duane, if you get the job you will be able to deduct/ depreciate your gear as a work related expense. so get a full frame and L lenses and right them off as much as you can:th3:

Analog6
09-12-2011, 7:58am
Good luck! Nothing ventured . . . .

rellik666
09-12-2011, 11:37am
Good Luck, but not sure that advert is technically legal....

Then to have

Students are highly encouraged to apply.

Wights Motor World is an equal opportunity employer.

Hum.....Anyhow, hope you go well..... :th3:

Lance B
09-12-2011, 11:46am
Good luck to you, I hope all goes well and you get the job!

Seabee
09-12-2011, 12:10pm
Good luck Dave.................it's a start and as you said "a foot in the door".
A journey has to have a beginning and you are thinking in a good positive manner.......it's not always about the money, the boost in self esteem would surely compensate more than any monetary value placed upon tiis position.

I have a friend in the same boat..........but unfortunately she wouldn't work in an iron lung.
Good on you for seeing the positives this situation could bring for you................best of luck and I am tipping you may be safe on this one considering it is in Traralgon, lol.

Duane Pipe
09-12-2011, 4:51pm
We are looking at moving down your way, the last thing holding us back was the need for a little part-time employment. Thanks for the link Dave, there's now two applicants.
Just kidding.:D:D
Hope they understand that someone who is keen will give better results than the cheapest possible option. Good luck.

You pulling my leg Mark about moving down this way

Duane Pipe
09-12-2011, 4:57pm
Yeah, all the best Duane and really hope the employment situation improves for you.

Thanks Shelley but it may get worse if they start shutting down power stations. They were the back bone that built the Latrobe Valley:(
But I suppose they cant shut them without building an alternative which might create more work:th3:

pjs2
10-12-2011, 9:44am
First tip

Wear the uniform you have on in your avatar. Proves your a student :)

Second tip

Take the job. Get the experiance up. Create a CV. I'm sure that there are other car yards, motor bike shops, push bike shops around the area that use this internet thingy to sell stuff. Being a casual position could be it's blessing giving you time to do other companies as well. Go hard I recon.
Good luck
Peter

p.s
Even if this job dosen't pan out get your CV up and try everyone else anyway.

mikew09
10-12-2011, 10:09am
Good luck - I sincerely hope you get it. I am sure it will prove challenging but enjoyably at the same time. Been on the unemployed road show myself a while ago and it is not fun. Hope it all goes really well for you, could the start of a whole new career ;-).
Sometimes mishaps in life turn out to be a good thing.

Duane Pipe
10-12-2011, 10:55am
Thank you all for the replies and for a laugh and the support. Cheers:th3:

mongo
10-12-2011, 9:52pm
Mongo wishes you well with this Dave. Whatever happens, let us know.

Duane Pipe
16-12-2011, 4:22pm
Haven't heard any thing yet Mongo but I will keep everyone informed :beer_mug:

Kerro
17-12-2011, 11:18am
Good luck Dave. And in time for New Year maybe. Onya mate...

Duane Pipe
20-12-2011, 7:04pm
Thanks Kerro I still haven heard any thing yet, It Pi$$es me of when they haven't got the decency to reply via email, even if it is to say Sorry But your application this time has been trashed But please feel free to apply for a future vacancy....:angry0: Sorry for the late reply Kerro.:cool: I haven't seen a post from you for a while mate:)