PDA

View Full Version : Think you have a photo storage problem?

ricktas
25-11-2011, 8:30am
So you think you are going to run out of space for your digital images with your 1 or 2TB drive. Consider this. The animated movie "Monsters Vs Aliens" used up 93TB of storage just for the images used in the movie. Each day, they worked, the animators created 3 seconds of the movie. They would create these in low-resolution, set their software to process them and it would take all night for the computers to create the additional 3 seconds of movie quality footage.

Intel are working with the movie industry to get this to 2.5 minutes of footage a week, within the next 4 years. Would you work all week to produce 2.5 minutes of images?

Rattus79
25-11-2011, 9:18am
Me, no I don't have enough patience for that.

That said, what a great gaming system that would make, Crysis would look awesome!!!

JM Tran
25-11-2011, 10:22am
well if I was being paid 6 figures, then yes:)

Bennymiata
25-11-2011, 10:51am
An IT friend of mine was invloved in setting up high speed links from the movie studios at Fox Studios in Sydney to their main studios in Los Angeles.
Every night, they would send many, many TB's of rushes over the internet.
The costs to the studios were HUUUUGE, and required special cable and links.

No wonder these Pixar movies cost so much to make.

ApolloLXII
25-11-2011, 12:50pm
This just highlights how much work and effort goes into making these kinds of movies, a lot of which people don't realise when they are watching them. Sometimes, it pays to watch the "making of" extras that are often included with the DVD releases that show how the initial artists drawings become the finished product. That kind of stuff never ceases to amaze me.

:slogo:

ameerat42
25-11-2011, 2:52pm
Hence a Carbon Tax, a Mining Tax, and soon - already! - a Nerd Tax!:Doh: I mean, we (some of us) pay to go and see them.

Added: Ah, yes, Apollo62. I am one of those who have failed to appreciate this subtlety. Yes, I should sit and reflect more on these marvels of modernity.

AmyK
25-11-2011, 10:02pm
I spent well over 100 hours for one assignment for the animation course I was doing at Uni over 4 weeks, to produce 6 seconds of film :( However we only needed 5-10 seconds for the assignment luckily :P My iMac nearly had a heart attack numerous times, and the stop motion software I was using crashed more times than I can remember from memory issues. And my iMac isn't sluggish...1GB graphics, 1TB HDD, 16GB RAM

virgal_tracy
26-11-2011, 6:41am
Photographers already do this. Consider that a photograph (as a generalization) takes 1/100 sec. That's 100 images per sec and 6000 per minute. 3 secs is 18000 images.

How long does it take a photographer to produce 18k images? Certainly longer than 3secs. Animators have it easy.

wheellathe
26-11-2011, 9:26am
So you guys are saying that me trusty 486 wouldnt handle short movies, even if I doubled the RAM to 32.

Roo
26-11-2011, 9:47am
I would shoot myself by the end of the first week or fall into a catatonic situation from sheer boredom. So little output for so much effort.