PDA

View Full Version : My Anti virus program is due for renewal

agb
25-09-2011, 12:51pm
My antivirus program is up for renewal, and I have had a look at the website top 10 reviews, http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/index.html and find that my current program is in fact #20 on the list of antivirus programs. I can say however that I have never had any problem with it and the couple of times I have had a problem it has been detected and quarantined .I thought however that since it is up for renewal I should look at some others, and I wondered if there are any gurus here who could say if there is a significant difference between the top 10, and whether a suite would be better than the simply av program that I am using.

arthurking83
25-09-2011, 1:30pm
Have to say(and I hate doing this!!) but this M$ Security Essentials bizo has me impressed by it's lack of system crashing and all round invisibility.
Whether it's missed any virii on my PC is a complete unknown to me, but it's free and it doesn't slow down or affect my PC in any way.

Used to run NOD for years .. many years and mainly because it was completely benign to any of my PC and others that I'd put together for others.
But it was up[ for renewal a while back and I thought to try something else .. so at that stage(when I'd built this PC) I tried AVG's freebie for a while.
Damn PC occasionally ran slow or had some stability issue somewhere along the line that used to bug me ... silly things like removable drives not showing up, or just some slowness or sluggishness for no reason.
Removed AVG and installed M$'s Security Essentials and basically forgot about it for the next few months or more. Didn't even notice that at the time the PC never gave me any issues in any way.

Went back to AVG for a week or so(from v9.something to a new v10) as I somehow made it onto their mailing lists .. and the PC started to run slowly again. This was about a year ago now and within that week I remember giving AVG the boot, and almost purchasing a new subscription to NOD again .. but remembered that MS's AV hadn't caused me any issues, so installed this again instead.
Been running it ever since without a care in the world, and I'm constantly installing and uninstalling software for trial and a lookysee and so on.

I suppose, even tho I spend 99.99% of my spare time on the net, I don't frequent pron sites and leet software purveyors, and as for those annoying emails from PayPal and all those banks that I've never had an account with .. well they don't even make it past the quick glance stage .... so I'm probably less likely to be swamped with virii anyhow.

Cage
25-09-2011, 1:54pm
+1 for MS Security Essentials :th3:

nc1183
25-09-2011, 5:03pm
I have never had a drama with AVG in the 4 years I have been using it. My brother uses it when he sets up new computers as a part of his business, and as far as i know, he hasn't had a drama either.

nixworries
25-09-2011, 5:06pm
i like using avast antivirus, so far nothing has got past it. easy to install and it has a free version.

peterb666
25-09-2011, 5:14pm
+1 for MS Security Essentials :th3:

Likewise. Have been using it on one of our 4 computers for a year now and cannot fault it.

My own PCs anti-virus softare is about to expire and I am not impressed that the renewal subscription is twice the cost of buying a new installation from a retail store for the same so it gets the flick.

Mark L
25-09-2011, 7:25pm
There's some info in this thread (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?90554-Norton-Internet-Security-SUCKS!).
We tried Avast for a while, but it seemed to make our laptop overheat a bit. Change to $ecurity Essentials and it seems just fine.
We try to practice safe web browsing and figured why pay for something that you can get for free?

woofie
27-09-2011, 6:21pm
I use to have AVG but now Avast. No problem with either. Not a fan on Norton though.

agb
27-09-2011, 6:53pm
Thanks for all of the replies.
I stopped the automatic renewal of my then current av program and for some reason, although it had a month to go it said I was out of date, so I uninstalled it.
I then downloaded webroot security suite for a trial and found that it kept telling me to do something, and that irked me, so I got rid of that, and so I took the advice of others and have installed MS security essentials.
Keeps fingers crossed that it all goes to plan.
When you think of it it is in Microsoft's interests to keep viruses and tojans etc at bay so lets hope they keep trying very hard.

midnight
28-09-2011, 8:22pm
My security is up for renewal also, will have to give MS security ago also i think.
Thanks for the info.

Suter200
03-10-2011, 10:28am
My av is up and after reading this I will give MS security a go

Wayne
03-10-2011, 10:33am
Eset NOD32, perhaps the best there is, uses few resources, catches everything in the wild, no nagging and very robust and reliable. Used by many network professionals. The best part...often cheaper than many of the heavily marketed alternatives.

flame70
03-10-2011, 10:36am
Eset NOD32 i have found is the way to go , best of all no obvious slowing of the computer and it just does its job. :)

alanmill
06-10-2011, 1:23pm
I've never had any issues with Trend av with either system stability, or slowness, but looking at the list, I might have to give MS or NOD a go as well based off the features listed in that review.

maccaroneski
06-10-2011, 8:59pm
I work at McAfee and I use the free AVG....

William
07-10-2011, 11:25am
Thanks Tony, So do I, And in conjunction with Malwarebytes and Spybot , Never had a problem :th3:

ngrafx
07-10-2011, 12:06pm
* Eset NOD32 * For me.. :) Since its conception.. :) Most of the others are system resource suckers..

Meumerke
07-10-2011, 12:58pm
Ran Eset (NOD) for years than switched to MS Security Essentials when it was launched (for free :D). No problems at all, run it on 4 machines. It even runs fine on Windows 8. :cool:

agb
07-10-2011, 2:54pm
Its amazing, when I had the "other" antivirus program installed the hard drive never stopped chattering. Now that I have M$ Security Essentials it is nice and peaceful most of the time.
Coincidence?

Meumerke
07-10-2011, 4:37pm
Coincidence?

Not really.

If you look at processes in Windows 8 you will see that MS SE runs very lightly.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-5fQM9YWigXA/To6eXKTS9nI/AAAAAAAAAow/8YA2iIuqRh8/s1280/Process%252520pic.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-53CQElfGv0Q/To6dUjEjEsI/AAAAAAAAAo4/O4g_oH6wy1Y/s1280/Performance%2525202.jpg

lazzam
07-10-2011, 7:24pm
I've been using Kaspersky for years and never had a problem. At the moment my two laptops and netbook have Kaspersky Internet Security (2 year 3 computer license) installed and the desktop is running Kaspersky Pure 2010. Both programs update their databases and scan the hard-drives automatically using little processor power and are unobtrusive, even on the netbook. I've also found moving my license from one computer to another is a snack.
Another aspect that deserves praise is Kasperky's helpdesk. I'm not sure how long I've been using this product but it must be more than a decade and, in this time, have only had to ring them regarding proceedure, not problems. Each time my call was answered immediately and the person I spoke to gave the impression they were experts, not someone reading from a process cue card.
Every now and then I'm asked to recommend an antivirus program and, without hesitation, I suggest Kaspersky but, invariabley, this advice is ignored and the enquirer opts for something free off the internet. The next I hear about it is the person whinging about not having their computer for a couple weeks while the local computer shop removes the viruses, trojans and malware then charges three times the cost of Kaspersky for the service.

wmphoto
14-10-2011, 9:36pm
Used to run Norton but damn thing slowed the computer so much I took it off. Then ran PC Internet Security and couldn't get that one off quick enough. Have since gone back to AVG but might look at MS SE now.

ricktas
15-10-2011, 5:29am
Thanks for this thread. I was running AVG but decided to swap to M$ security essentials. Agre it runs smoothly, doesn't slow down the machine. Installed on all 3 computers here and happy with it. So thanks for the suggestion/recommendation.

mikew09
15-10-2011, 9:03am
Took th Ms solution myself when my CA subscription expired. I agree, very light on resource size and you expect that as MS are able to DEV into the bowls of their os. Never had an issue with MS and has detected and quarantined threads when using data from others pc's so that has to say something. Free and excellent, can't say the same their firewall thought.

PDii
15-10-2011, 9:22pm
I swapped to MS today too after running Notorn for the last 3 years. I suppose time will tell if it's any good.

Meumerke
15-10-2011, 10:06pm
Took th Ms solution myself when my CA subscription expired. I agree, very light on resource size and you expect that as MS are able to DEV into the bowls of their os. Never had an issue with MS and has detected and quarantined threads when using data from others pc's so that has to say something. Free and excellent, can't say the same their firewall thought.

That's why I use MS SE with the standalone version of Comodo Firewall. :)

easty1
18-10-2011, 8:28am
Dont like norton seems to slow every thing down I use AVG now and it seems to do the job OK

peterb666
27-10-2011, 4:56pm
I work at McAfee and I use the free AVG....

Company loyalty.

peterb666
27-10-2011, 4:58pm
I just got rid of Bitdefender. Very annoying for the last couple of months wanting you to buy overpriced upgrades. Nasty thing about Bitdefender is that when the update subscription expires, it completely disables Bitdefender and leaves you unprotected unless you have already installed another product. Poor show.

peterb666
31-10-2011, 7:16pm
BitDefender keep sending me emails. I have now added them to my spam filter.

agb
03-11-2013, 7:48pm
I know some time has passed since this was last visited, but what do we do now?
http://www.howtogeek.com/173291/goodbye-microsoft-security-essentials-microsoft-now-recommends-you-use-a-third-party-antivirus/

ameerat42
03-11-2013, 8:07pm
MSE - Microsoft Security Essential + your Win firewall. Add to that the standalone MalwareBytes.

THAT'S if you do not subscribe to one from your ISP. I WOULD NOT subscribe to any other paid one, no matter what.

ALSO: SuperAntiVirus is free and can be installed on a USB stick for QUITE independent use, rather like Malware Bytes.

So, now what?

gabby
03-11-2013, 8:22pm
I'm interested in this topic as I've been running Norton 360 for the last two years after a spoof attempt freaked me out. I have felt very safe with it. Lately though I have found my computer being very slow to start up. I spoke to the computer techs at work and they told me that Norton is notoriously heavy in its demands and could be the culprit. I am therefore going to try an alternate security system once my years payment is up. MS Security Essentials sounds great- do you find it tries to block certain games etc??

ameerat42
03-11-2013, 8:25pm
...do you find it tries to block certain games etc??...

Two answers I hope you find to be of some use:
1. I do not have any games.
2. I do not use MSE on MY computer, but I have installed it on two others that I monitor regularly and have had no such issues with.

I reckon you'd have to try it. DO load the other programs, though. I run them every so often.
Am.

farmer_rob
03-11-2013, 8:55pm
I'm using Avast (free version), have been for about 4 years. I ditched Norton because it was too resource-heavy, and they started taking features out of the firewall that I liked (ad blocking).

Avast has a pc and a mac version. (Macs DO get viruses.)

On my PC (win xp), I also use a free firewall that is effective, but no longer available standalone, ad aware ad blocking software (paid), "no script" in firefox and a free version of superantispyware. (Paranoid moi?). I avoid IE like the plague. However, this PC is old, and being archived.

On my mac, I use Avast, rely on the osx firewall and have "no script" in firefox. I try to avoid safari (too little control over what happens).

At work, we use Norton AV, together with some fancy web filtering and mail filtering server-based software. The system load from Norton is not too bad, but I have a very fast PC at work.

I think these keep my system clean, but for the real story you'd need to ask the NSA:cool:.

Mark L
03-11-2013, 8:58pm
MS Security Essentials sounds great- do you find it tries to block certain games etc??
We dumped Norton after it let 4 scareware things scare us. I dislike huge multi-national companies, but use Security Essentials. It is light on resources and works. Why wouldn't it? MS wouldn't put up with the bad publicity if it didn't.
It's free to download and try gabby.

- - - Updated - - -

I think these keep my system clean, but for the real story you'd need to ask the NSA:cool:.

I think you just did. Bet they don't reply though.:)

peterb666
04-11-2013, 11:41am
I bought a new Windows 8 Laptop a couple of months ago and it came with a free trial of Nortons so I thought I would see if it were any better than it use to be. I was reasonably impressed by how much it had approved but decided to not buy a subscription to Nortons and went to Security Essentials.

Nortons turns out to be little better than malware after expirary causing problems with internet and stopping my wireless printing to my laser printer. I had to download a removal tool from Nortons to clean up the mess it created and restore full functionality of internet site access and get my wireless printing back. Guys, this is not the way to go to win friends and encourage subscriptions.

ktoopi
06-11-2013, 3:02pm
I use Avast....have been for about 4 years and find it excellent. I started with the free version but now I subscribe.

I had Nortons and it did nothing but stuff everything up and make my computer run reaaaaaaallly slooooooooow.