PDA

View Full Version : Realtek HD Audio - No Sound Suddenly?

Miaow
06-09-2011, 4:58pm
Hoping someone might be able to help here - lost all sound (Realtek HD audio) Ive removed the driver and reinstalled it via windows update with no luck - every so often i get really light sound can just hear it but usually is nothing at all - any ideas on what to do next? this happened the same day as itunes died - i fixed that by uninstall and reinstall but the sound no luck?

Realtek manager is set on speakers - all seems ok volumes full and no mutes?

Edit: currently installing the newer version of direct x to see if helps

Miaow
06-09-2011, 6:01pm
well directx did nothing lol - now i did my mistake pres F6 a heap of times the other night now i believe this could be releated to sound (but on wind 7) im using xp though

So im wondering if i did something with that F6 key and now how to restore it back to normal?

fess67
06-09-2011, 6:31pm
What do you see within the Sounds section in your Windows Control panel? Check on the Playback tab that the correct speakers are selected as the default ones and that they are configured correctly there.

Miaow
06-09-2011, 7:18pm
all is fine according to settings in there - thats what i cant understand? Driver reinstall did nothing :/

ricktas
06-09-2011, 7:28pm
Is this a laptop or desktop system. You have made sure the speaker plug(s) are plugged in, and to the correct sockets?

Miaow
06-09-2011, 7:36pm
Is this a laptop or desktop system. You have made sure the speaker plug(s) are plugged in, and to the correct sockets?

desktop and yep all leads in right places - suddenly died when itunes did the other night
have very faint sound but not really obvious

ricktas
06-09-2011, 7:49pm
Have you checked the BIOS? Maybe its reset something for some reason

fess67
06-09-2011, 7:50pm
As ever with computers there are a number of places we can check to try to solve this issue. Try having a look at this site and working through the possible issues to see if they can help. If I may give one piece of advice (based on my experience of managing computer networks of 400+ machines)...even if you think you have tried something, or if you think 'it cannot be that', try it anyway as part of a methodical diagnostic process. That includes things like unplugging the speakers from the back of the machine..etc..etc even when logic says that they have not been touched since it was all working fine.

Link...http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-020642.htm

Good luck

Miaow
06-09-2011, 7:54pm
no havent checked bios - but i do have slight sound its light its incredibly muted
tried all plugs etc tried reinstalling drivers and drictx
will chck out out more in the morning i think when more awake attempting to watch a dvd that ej keeping turning off ARGH

ricktas
06-09-2011, 7:58pm
Some things to check/consider

speakers are dead
cable is damaged
speaker port is damaged
sound card is damaged
drivers
software is controlling the volume (possibly iTunes is doing something seeing as it happened when Itunes crashed)
Motherboard issue
BIOS issue

Its basically a process of elimination to find the cause

Miaow
06-09-2011, 8:00pm
Some things to check/consider

speakers are dead
cable is damaged
speaker port is damaged
sound card is damaged
drivers
software is controlling the volume (possibly iTunes is doing something seeing as it happened when Itunes crashed)
Motherboard issue
BIOS issue

Its basically a process of elimination to find the cause

Im really thinking might be itunes related as we were doing a few downlads in there and music that night 0 but how to fix find the problem :/

I have some sound so speakers arent dead
cables must be ok if the light sound
drivers uninstalled and reinstalled no fix

Miaow
06-09-2011, 8:29pm
cant find out how to get into bios (compaq) managed to do system diagnostics which were all ok

ricktas
06-09-2011, 9:10pm
Bios is usually accessed by repeatedly hitting either F8 or DEL during start-up

Boo53
06-09-2011, 10:17pm
If it was working, but isn't now, would a system restore work?

Miaow
07-09-2011, 7:51am
When it first happened i tried a system restore but it said it couldnt do it

redhead65
07-09-2011, 9:49pm
Did the problem occur after a Windows update? I've had problems with Realtek HD Audio on one of my PCs, admittedly running on Windows 7 64 Bit, that were caused by acdepting a driver update from Windows Update. I uninstalled the Windows Update supplied drivers and and used the drivers on the motherboard manufacturer's web site. These fixed my problem. Note: you can also find Realtek drivers on the Realtek web site or on the web sites of other PC manufacturers that use the same Realtek HD Audio chip / chipset.

idrive
07-09-2011, 9:50pm
Definitely sounds software related more than h/w.

Try backing up iTunes and uninstalling.

bricat
14-09-2011, 3:02am
Bonjour is a part of Itunes and causes problems when Itunes is uninstalled. Google bonjour and see if this relates to you

Miaow
18-09-2011, 3:53pm
Gee im blond - I checked the monitor at the time also and couldnt find anything related to sound .......

Well today Trev admitted he did something on the monitor to knock it out - took him long enough to admit to it - finally in about 2 submenus found it and put the volume back up

Yep all is now good