PDA

View Full Version : CS5.5 Just ordered and at a price to make you jealous!

danny
18-08-2011, 5:57pm
Have just ordered CS5.5 Masters collection and it only cost me... $97 (no I have not left of a zero). I know it does sound crazy given the RRP, and yes it is legitimate. It is a benefit of being a NSW teacher. It seems that Adobe and the department have a licensing agreement that means that we get it for a price that is a fraction of the RRP.

I can't wait for it to arrive. :efelant:

Scotty72
18-08-2011, 6:06pm
Good, isn't it :th3:

You can get Microsoft Word etc for about $35 too :efelant:

colinbm
18-08-2011, 6:39pm
Is this for educational use only ?
Col

danny
18-08-2011, 7:25pm
Col

Agreement is for "home use"!

danny
18-08-2011, 7:27pm
Good, isn't it :th3:

You can get Microsoft Word etc for about $35 too :efelant:

Have done that already. It just seems to good to be true!

Scotty72
18-08-2011, 7:58pm
Col

No, it is for personal use.

We aren't supposed to use it if we are running a photography business etc. But, I don't so, it doesn't bother me.

I guess we are being used as a type of marketing arm: the schools install it; if we are to use it, we get it really cheaply so we can get good enough to start to use it in classes, the kids get used to using it; the kids' parents buy.

Happening a lot these day with all sorts of products.

Reps turn up to staff meetings, offering us (school and/or teachers) free or discounted use of products - it is clearly designed to use us to push the products onto the kids.

The DEC (as the NSW DET is now called) is so cashed starved these days that this is now accepted (where as a decade ago - it was unethical). One of the public primary schools in my area is festooned with billboards and banners for local businesses as they try to replace their lost funding. Unheard of in the past but, I guess we are in a different world now.

Scotty

Scotty72
18-08-2011, 8:05pm
Have done that already. It just seems to good to be true!

Get used to this sort of thing.

We get our DER laptops back tomorrow after they were re-imaged. I have heard that they have packed on a whole new range of software that the crappy laptops can't cope with - so, they are offering deals to get you to install their software on your personal laptop. A new bunch of Adobe stuff, I am told (but not sure yet).

Is your school using Sentral (attendance, reporting etc) yet?

colinbm
18-08-2011, 8:37pm
Do pensioners on the gov payroll get deals like this too ?
Col

danny
18-08-2011, 8:56pm
Is your school using Sentral (attendance, reporting etc) yet?

No, think we were down for trial stage but that went out the wind when BBB (big boss Barry) took over! ;)

ameerat42
18-08-2011, 9:10pm
Well, whatever it's use is, it SPHINX!@
AND, it sounds like a PYRAMID scheme to me. All us (Nile River) punters have to pay fill price!!!
While U Gizas get the pick of the crop! (Bunch of THEBES!)
Y can't we all get it CHEOPS like that??

NOT PHARAOH!!! That's what I SIS!
Am(phora. IXth Dynasty.)

Mark L
18-08-2011, 9:21pm
So if I know a teacher, can they purchase it for my personal use?:)
I'll even advertise what good software it is on AP, if that helps.:):)

Scotty72
18-08-2011, 9:33pm
no, it has to be order through the school - delivered to the school and signed off by the school

colinbm
18-08-2011, 10:15pm
Discrimination of tax payers money at taxpayers expense :scrtch:
Col

kiwi
18-08-2011, 10:34pm
Discrimination of tax payers money at taxpayers expense :scrtch:
Col

I don't understand, taxpayers arent underwriting adobe at schools, adobe is as a marketing thing.

Scotty72
18-08-2011, 10:38pm
I don't understand, taxpayers arent underwriting adobe at schools, adobe is as a marketing thing.

You're right Darren but, the mere facts never get in the way of Australia's national sport: Teacher Bashing.

colinbm
18-08-2011, 10:46pm
Even the police up here have been discouraged from dipping their snouts into the golden arches trough.
Col

ricstew
20-08-2011, 11:56am
a kid at school or uni gets a good deal too!

Scotty72
20-08-2011, 12:19pm
Even the police up here have been discouraged from dipping their snouts into the golden arches trough.
Col

But, cops getting a 1/2 price cheeseburger is very different.

Society says it wants kids to get the best education so they can become tech-savvy, computer literate etc.

It is self-evident that, if the kids are going to learn on all of this hyper-expense software, they need teachers who are themselves highly competent with the software.

Given that society likes to pay teachers (and nurses too) the absolute minimum (the lowest of all professionals with a 4 year degree), how do you expect that teachers will be able to afford to become familiar with all this software which is priced way beyond our reach?

People aren't willing to pay taxes for a decent education system so the departments could afford to invest in the equipment and training teachers need.

So, the public: don't want to pay for reasonable teacher salaries; don't think schools or the equipment needed to run them are worth the investment THEN complain when we are given an opportunity to invest in the ability for us to do our job.

I guess that Australia's investment in its kids education is just another of those mother-hood notions we are famous for...

'Education is the most important investment for our country's future... but we don't want to actually spend a cent on it.'

As reflected in the fact that our education spending / GDP is woeful (far less than UK, USA, NZ and most of western Europe)

Giving a cop a discounted cheeseburger is hardly benifiting the national interest.

unistudent1962
20-08-2011, 5:40pm
a kid at school or uni gets a good deal too!

As does any in teacher in Australia.
I paid $135 for Photoshop CS5 extended version.
Then claimed half of it back through the Education Tax Rebate.

Max
21-08-2011, 9:04am
teachers getting benefits, you will get no arguments from me, its a tough gig. In fact you all deserve a payrise, ultimately you are teaching the kids. The better the teachers, the better the result.

danny
22-08-2011, 7:45pm
Arrived... installed.... now to learn to use it :eek:

Danny