PDA

View Full Version : A Photoshop annoyance

ameerat42
18-08-2011, 10:11am
Hi Folks
I've had CS2 Photoshop for a few years and occasionally it would "lose its preferences", ie, open up as if only just installed.
Then I've had to set it all up (Edit-Preferences) how I want it.

Well, recently it's been happening often, like a few times a week. Does anybody know where such prefs are kept? I've looked in Program Files, Application Data, Temporary files, but can't find anything (except the temp file that opens with a PS session).

Or, does anyone know why I'd keep losing them?
Ta, Am.

ricktas
18-08-2011, 10:24am
what operating system is on your computer Am?

ameerat42
18-08-2011, 10:37am
Rick. It's WinXP Svc Pack 2 (didn't like 3). 2GB RAM on a Q6600 processor.
Am.

ricktas
18-08-2011, 10:41am
Ok.

Your preference file could be located in the following:

C:\Documents and Settings\ [user name] \Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop\9.0\Adobe Photoshop CS2 Settings

The file itself is called something like Adobe Photoshop CS2 prefs.psp
You could try searching your documents and settings folder for *prefs.psp if you cannot find it

So once you find it, make sure PS is not running, delete the file, restart PS, setup your preferences again and away you go. It does sound like your prefs file is corrupt.

ameerat42
18-08-2011, 11:37am
Thanks, Rick. I found it right as you said and did delete it. I started and PS and set prefs again. Now I'll see how long it lasts.
Am.

ricktas
18-08-2011, 12:12pm
Happy to be of assistance, hope it stays stable for you now!

farmer_rob
18-08-2011, 4:49pm
You might want to take a copy of the preference file, so you can copy it back if the prefs go again.

ameerat42
18-08-2011, 7:57pm
Ta, farmer_rob. That would save mucking around each time it does that. I did what Rick suggested and Photoshop fairly flew. I stopped it twice today and took off again both times. I'll see how it goes and I'll definitely make up a little script to copy the pristine file back.
Am.