PDA

View Full Version : How to you backup your image data?

wideangle
25-02-2011, 6:45pm
What methods are people using to make a backup of their photographs? There comes a time I reckon when simply just backing up manually can lead to human error. Do people use software programs to auto sync their photos to another drive so they know they have a mirror duplicate of the original files, or are you still copying over manually? What programs are people using to perform this?

jjphoto
25-02-2011, 6:58pm
I don't. I wait for my disk to crash then I start all over again. Easy!

OK, not really. I make 2 external copies on usb HDD's, all manual, it's much easier IMHO. So far I have over 30 HDD's and now I'm am actively deleting old stuff. I'm also throwing negatives and slides away. The cat and dog are starting to look nervous too...

JJ

wideangle
25-02-2011, 7:11pm
I don't. I wait for my disk to crash then I start all over again. Easy!

OK, not really. I make 2 external copies on usb HDD's, all manual, it's much easier IMHO. So far I have over 30 HDD's and now I'm am actively deleting old stuff. I'm also throwing negatives and slides away. The cat and dog are starting to look nervous too...

JJ

I reckon in the longer terms it's better having automated backup software to sync what you do and save on 1 device onto another automatically. Because I know how many times one "has to get around to backing up" and then to backup takes ages (and live in the hope that the drives don't crash in the meantime!)

Interested to hear what other people do/use

Xenedis
25-02-2011, 7:21pm
For one of my backup drives (my off-site drive), I use Apple Time Machine. That backups up changes on the entire drive.

I manually back up data to my two on-site drives, but only my home directory.

wideangle
25-02-2011, 8:57pm
Are there any programs that mirror files being moved, saved and deleted so you have another hard drive copy without having to manually copy stuff over?

kiwi
25-02-2011, 9:02pm
Plenty, I use microsofts free synctoy though mist hard drives come with their own similar tools

Note, I NEVER sync deletes....think about it

wideangle
25-02-2011, 9:06pm
Note, I NEVER sync deletes....think about it

lol, yes good point!;)

kiwi
25-02-2011, 9:11pm
Lol, exactly, that's why I like synctoy as it has a contribute mode where it just syncs new files and renamed files. Ill manage more major maintenance manually

wideangle
25-02-2011, 9:14pm
Lol, exactly, that's why I like synctoy as it has a contribute mode where it just syncs new files and renamed files. Ill manage more major maintenance manually

Interested to know why you say you manage major maintenance manually.

kiwi
25-02-2011, 9:25pm
Because I want control over which directories I move or delete, knowing that if I stuff up there's always a backup.

wideangle
25-02-2011, 9:27pm
Because I want control over which directories I move or delete, knowing that if I stuff up there's always a backup.

Isn't that what backup software is for - automates the process?

Ploddy
25-02-2011, 9:28pm
Windows Home Server. Automatic, regular, incremental.

Hassle free.

fess67
25-02-2011, 10:26pm
I mirror my images drive.

I have a network attached drive that I backup to weekly.

I backup to an external drive on the 1st of every month. - month by month catalogue.

This way I am covered against most issues. I use disk RAID, Lightroom backup, Acronis for my main backup. Several external hard drives and a network disk array. I have maybe 5 photos worth bragging about, but you know what it took me ages to get those pics so I am going to protect them well :)

peterking
26-02-2011, 12:01am
Netgear with NAS drive and software. FW800 drive and Shadow 5. USB drive taken offsite that has folders manually copied. BTW iMac. It rocks!

Mat
26-02-2011, 12:14am
I use AutoSync and I don't propgate deletions.

ricktas
26-02-2011, 7:23am
I have a 10TB Raid5 system. It automatically backs-up all files in specified folders on my system. I have it set to back-up my RAW files as they are uploaded to my PC from the memory card, and then due to my file structure for photo storage, it backs up any edited versions as I save them as well. There are lots of automated backup solutions out there.

Once a month I run it manually on another external drive, and that drive is stored at a friend's place. I go get the drive, backup, and take the drive back. I hold their backup drive at my place. Most of these software allow you to name and setup several backup solutions, so you can have it do a range of functions for you at different schedules, as needed.

http://data-backup-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

arthurking83
26-02-2011, 9:18am
I use Rich Copy4.0. It's an unofficial Microsoft backup software, written by an M$ employee for 'internal use'. Free to download and use, easy to configure, flexible, fast and (so far) totally reliable.

ozgeoff
15-03-2011, 2:04pm
What methods are people using to make a backup of their photographs? There comes a time I reckon when simply just backing up manually can lead to human error. Do people use software programs to auto sync their photos to another drive so they know they have a mirror duplicate of the original files, or are you still copying over manually? What programs are people using to perform this?

Time Machine here also plus I have all my photos backed up on DVD's for extra protection.

Geoff