PDA

View Full Version : Anti Spyware/malware program

jimbob12
25-10-2010, 1:40pm
Hiiii does anyone know of a good antispywear/malware program to get rid of a pesky bug I hav lurking around?
I use adaware and iobot 360 and a registry cleaner but I can't seem to get rid of the bug.. Are there any programs better out there to help

Kym
25-10-2010, 1:48pm
I use Malware bytes (http://www.malwarebytes.org/) and Avast! (http://www.avast.com/en-au/index)

peterking
25-10-2010, 2:31pm
Spybot Search & Destroy. Never failed yet.

jimbob12
25-10-2010, 3:11pm
Ah yes I just got malware bytes last night and I use avast as my antivirus.. But it hasn't got rid of the bug either it keeps alerting that it's trying to connect to a malicious website and when I block it, the Internet jams up then windows has a heart attack :(

charton
25-10-2010, 4:04pm
Bullguard was recommend to me be computer guys, works well.

jimbob12
26-10-2010, 1:33pm
Hmmm it's gettin frustrating now :( what would be causing the sychost.exe to keep having to shut down?

fillum
26-10-2010, 2:34pm
How's your Windows knowledge jimbob? There is a free (I think) utility called "HighjackThis" that does a scan of your registry and allows you to easily remove entries. But you need to be really careful when using it or you could cause system problems. I've used it in the past to get rid of some of those redirect type nasties but can't remember exact details now. Google it for more info if interested.

You'll probably find that you have a number of svchost.exe processes running. There is a utility to let you know what each one is doing but I can't remember what it's called at the moment. I'll post when I find it. It might help you narrow down the problem.

Cheers.

wmphoto
26-10-2010, 2:36pm
sYchost.exe is a virus. sVchost.exe is a normal windows program. Check which one it is that's causing the problem and then do a search on the net. Lot's of fixes out there if it's a virus, bit more technical if it is the svchost.exe causing problems.

edit: ^^ what Phil said also.

jimbob12
30-10-2010, 9:52am
ah hah!! after dloading all sorts of spyware/malware programs... adaware malwarebytes, spyboot, iobit security, cc cleaner, registry cleaners etc... which none of them helped my problem untill i found a program named tsskiller by kapersky.
it scanned my files and found a deeply hidden rootkit bug that was causing the grief and now that it cleared it up my system back to normal touch wood :D

kettels
04-11-2010, 8:22am
Its always good to have multiple anti-virus programs because some update different areas quicker. I know this is solved but for anyone else having problems http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/ (Microsoft security essentials/) is great and free and for paid Nod32 is probably the best

mrsgrumblebum
04-11-2010, 9:22am
A bit late to the party but just last week I had some bugs on pc. The bug would not allow access to spybot search & destroy, blocked me out of other avtivirus + antispyware programs. As for antivirus I also use avast.
It was driving me crazy cause I was getting that many popups it was not funny, pc kept shutting down, or freezing. I finally tried malwarebytes and spyware terminator yay these 2 programs worked, and very happy to say that after 2 days of fiddling and great frustration I am now bug free for now.
Glad you found the culprit jimbob.

ving
04-11-2010, 9:58am
another avast user here :)

Kym
04-11-2010, 10:22am
Prevention is better than cure. So not getting infected in the first place is the goal.

Sometimes you have to bite the bullet. Re-build the PC from original media, patch, install AV etc, then reload your apps and backed up data (we all backup don't we?)

Speedway
04-11-2010, 11:23am
Good advice Kim. I am very wary of registry cleaners, I currently have a serious problem with my computer caused by them in that I can't open any raw files I didn't find this till I got my 7d and tried to update my canon software, this was about 11 months after installing the registry cleaner. The new software refused to install then I couldn't uninstall the older version which would no longer work. I have tried everything to overcome this problem, reinstall, uninstall install old version over the top, nothing works. I am getting enough together to update my computer. motherboard, processor, memory. 2-1Tb HDD's, video card and OS as the only way left to fix the problem is to reformat and start again.
Keith.

tcdev
05-11-2010, 11:23pm
No one anti-virus will handle all cases, unfortunately. And in the world of anti-virus software, the old adage of "you get what you pay for" generally applies. As a result, you tend to need a whole arsenal of (free) programs to cover all your bases.

As Kym says, prevention is far better than cure in this case. I don't use anti-virus software (at home) as a rule, but I have managed to get bitten once or twice in the last decade. I figure that's not too bad overall, and a re-install every few years is certainly better than have to juggle a dozen scanners and suffer the performance hits...

Kerro
05-11-2010, 11:29pm
AVG .... say no more.

Grahamb
26-12-2010, 8:56pm
http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/ is really all you need if you haven't got an Apple Mac. :)

macmich
26-12-2010, 9:45pm
i have used pc cillan for the last 9 years and have not had one virus
if you keep paying for it every year and it will give you regular updates and will do the best of keeping your computer clean
i think a lot of the trouble is having multiple programs and they work against each other
cheers macca

robz
26-12-2010, 10:20pm
I find K7 total security and eusing free registry cleaner has kept me safe in the time that I have used it. Sophos is also good and I have also used malwarebytes which I don't thinik I had any viruses with?

tcdev
27-12-2010, 11:51am
AVG .... say no more.

There are plenty of viruses that (free) AVG won't detect or, just as importantly, won't eliminate. Unfortunately. :(

dbax
28-12-2010, 10:55am
I have AVG(paid version)for virus, and another vote for malwarebytes:th3:

colinl
29-12-2010, 12:48pm
I have a few PC's at home. We run either Avast or AVG, along with Adware or Spybot. We have had a few trojans that have caused havoc on the family PC and one of my sons. In these persistent cases where the software finds, but can't get rid of the problem I just do a google search on the file. This will normally take me to thread on a spyware info forum where it is being discussed. They usually have some way of tracking the files and instructions on what to delete.

I have a iMac as my desk top. I didn't worry about anti virus for a while, but then I installed Microsoft office for mac and thought that an anti virus might be worth having. I use PC Tools Anti Virus, a free Mac specific software. So far it has never found anything, which is amazing because just about every time you run Adware or Spybot you come up with a few on the PC's.

William
29-12-2010, 5:13pm
AVG, Avast, Spybot and Malware Bytes , Does the trick for me , But touch wood !! I have'nt had a bug yet :)