PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Alarm Bug during Daylight Savings Time

Xenedis
06-10-2010, 4:50pm
This week I discovered an annoying problem with the alarm clock built into the iPhone.

Last night I had the alarm set to 6:50pm, but it went off one hour earlier.

This afternoon I tried setting it for a specified time, and discovered it didn't go off at the specified time.

I looked around the Web, and found a discussion about the problem (http://forums.vogue.com.au/showthread.php?t=367211).

There seems to be a bug triggered by daylight savings time taking effect.

One post on a forum suggested setting the timezone to Vladivostok, Russia (GMT +11), but I tried this to no avail.

Another post indicated that the problem occurs with recurring alarms. If the alarm is set to a one-off occurrence, it signals at the correct time. When I tried this, the alarm went off when it was supposed to do so.

Until Apple fixes the bug, users have two options, both of which are non-optimal:

set recurring alarms to one hour later; or
set one-off alarms every time.

Hopefully this advice will help those who have been bitten by the bug, or who will eventually be bitten by the bug, with disastrous consequences.

ricktas
06-10-2010, 4:58pm
Mine is fine. I have lots of appointments etc set in my iPhone and its been working on the right time. No probs at all

Xenedis
06-10-2010, 5:00pm
I'm not sure if the bug affects notifications of calendar events, but it does affect the alarm clock when the alarm has a recurrence.

ricktas
06-10-2010, 5:04pm
AH ok. my confusion. I don't use the alarm clock at all.

Charmed
06-10-2010, 6:24pm
Who you with?

Those with Optus got a carrier software update before DS kicked in.

Xenedis
06-10-2010, 6:57pm
I don't think the issue is carrier-centric.

My iPhone has the correct time.

Gas
06-10-2010, 7:27pm
I had the exact same problem this morning - now my wife believes that it wasn't "my fault". Thanks..

452eiel
21-10-2010, 8:58pm
you pointed to iphone3Gs or iphon4?
since i read similar thread in other forum, but only pointed to 3Gs, my iphone4 have no this problem

Cheach
22-10-2010, 12:46am
All iPhones running the latest release iOS will have that issue.