PDA

View Full Version : next piece of gear - flash or lens?

tmd77
13-09-2010, 3:07pm
Ok. So Mr. Taxman has given me a generous amount back this year for my tax. In turn SWMBO has given me permission to purchase one piece of camera gear.

my options are;
Canon 430exII speedlite
or
I can save for a couple of months and get a Tamron 10-24mm

I don't exactly have a "preference" or "style" on what i shoot, at the moment i'm just enjoying learning. Taking note of my existing equipment (see sig), what would you recommend be my next purchase? feel free to explain why as well.

Thanks in advance!

PH005
13-09-2010, 3:15pm
I am having the same debate in my mind, but with the sigma 10-20. Think I will go with the lens 1st. Love shooting landscapes. And with the wide angle, lots of fun shots.
Let us know what you decide.

Wayne
13-09-2010, 3:16pm
Light because you don't yet have one for off cam flash

Keith
13-09-2010, 3:23pm
+1 for the flash, lots of learning to be done there and heaps of creative things you can do with one as well :)

mpot
13-09-2010, 3:24pm
my options are;
Canon 430exII speedlite
or
I can save for a couple of months and get a Tamron 10-24mm

I think it really depends where you want to go with your photography.
Getting a 430EX is a great way to get into flash photography (lotsa good info about off-camera flash photography strobist (http://strobist.com)), while a wide-angle lens will allow you to do some wide-angle photography.

Personally, I'd recommend the flash instead of the lens (although a wide angle lens is a lot of fun...)

Luke11
13-09-2010, 3:36pm
I was in the same situation 10 months ago and went with the flash (580EX) and at first thought I was making a mistake but time goes by so fast that you forget about your recent purchase and before you know it you are at the same cross road with another purchase dilemma. Either way you will end up with both eventually but the flash is a lot of fun and since you don't have one I say go for it.

Culhwch
13-09-2010, 3:47pm
I'd vote for the flash too. I just recently bought my first flash, and I'm loving it. I'm a bit like you - still learning, and not dedicated to a particular style. The flash has really been worth the money - in the last comp I entered, I saw an 600% jump in votes garnered! I understand your dilemma, though, I'd really love to pick up a wide-angle lens as well.

maccaroneski
13-09-2010, 3:50pm
Another one for the flash - you are already at 18mm - sure it will be fun to play with the UWA, and it will make for some nice shots, although it won't give you the chance to really take your photography to another level / place like off camera lighting can.

Allan Ryan
13-09-2010, 7:33pm
i picked up an old 380EX for $30
maybe you could look around for a secound hand flash and keep saving for the lens :)

tmd77
13-09-2010, 9:20pm
cheers all... looks like flash it is! and luke11 thats exactly my thoughts, eventually the UWA will end up in my bag, might just be xmas present time! haha

simonw
14-09-2010, 12:25am
I went for the flash - You can always just stitch a panorama together with your kit lens, the flash is a huge help and will help you improve with what you already have

simonw
14-09-2010, 12:27am
and by the way, I just bought a 430 exii off eBay for $305!!!! best i could get it in store was $385 from JB hifi

pgbphotographytas
14-09-2010, 1:59pm
Go the flash.

Paul

Colourised
14-09-2010, 5:56pm
the speedlite would really work wonders on your photos! especially if u learn to go off-camera flash!

RamblinR
14-09-2010, 8:44pm
Definitely the flash. Then spend time learning how to use it both on and off the camera.

Xebadir
14-09-2010, 9:34pm
Hey Trent, funny to see you here, agree with the others that you should go the flash given your lens collection. Ultrawide will be a lot of fun when you get there. :). You use this gear to photograph your fish tank still?

tmd77
19-09-2010, 2:54pm
Hey Xebadir,

there are a couple of us on here crossing over from rtaw! I'm kinda in-between tanks at the moment, but hopefully in the next few weeks i'll be throwing up some photo's.

Just bought the flash today and should take delivery of it sometime this week, very excited! Plan on getting some eneloops to power it.

thanks for everyone's help!