PDA

View Full Version : Lightroom 3 went bonkers!

keith-killer
21-07-2010, 6:19pm
I am using Windows 7 and about 3 weeks ago I upgraded to Lightroom 3.

When running L3 for the first time, it upgraded the catalog from Lightroom 2 which had about 25,000 photos listed in it. It took ages but all seemed to go well.

Lightroom # started crashing when accessing files in the catalog and when developing images it crashed the computer a few times to the blue screen of daeth! First time I have that in a few years with Vista or W7.

My backup software started to have trouble also when it was running and explorer.exe would crash and the harddrive would heat up a lot. Computer crashed...

So try to run some diagnostic tools and the folder with the Lightroom 3 catalog in it caused even that to go heywire. I am thinking... what the heck!

After quite a few goes I finally got the properties on the folder and it was over 50 gig!!! I have not idea what was in there, there were 75,000 very tiny files and something massive in size, maybe 10 gig or more.

Finally I got them deleted (took a while and a crash or two) reinstalled Lightroom 3 and now it all runs smoothly.... so far.

And the moral of this story is... I don't know. But I love lightroom and hopefully if someone else has a problem this may help them out.

keith-killer
02-08-2010, 12:26am
Update.

I was finally able to delete the entire corrupt catalog. It was over 10 gig in size!

I made a new catalog based on/upgraded from the Lightroom 2 catalog. It is working perfect now and with a 1000 or so odd photos added to it (maybe about 25,000 now) that entire folder of the new catalog is about 700 mb. Big difference!

I sure am loving Lightroom 3!

ricktas
02-08-2010, 6:13am
odd, sounds like some sort of DB corruption during the upgrade. Glad you got it sorted.