PDA

View Full Version : To all the new members, give us your feedback

Pages : 1 [2]

purpledragonette
19-09-2013, 11:07am
good to feel welcome... i'm new to this so wasn't sure of my way around but the links helped - thank you

Gialandon
05-10-2013, 10:55am
I haven't been using the site long so my feedback is limited. Firstly really like the layout and design and thought it was very thougtfull of the admin to send me a private message welcoming me to the site.

Only criticism so far is there seems to be a lot of emphasis on posting before you can view all the forums. I can understand the reason but peesonally i tend to read a lot of posts before posting because I know it annoys members when they have to answer the same questions. Hopefully this policy doesn't lead to many stupid questions or perhaps members here are more friendly than most forums. Well I'llfind out soon enough as I am an absolute beginner and bound to ask some stupid questions.

ricktas
05-10-2013, 11:07am
I haven't been using the site long so my feedback is limited. Firstly really like the layout and design and thought it was very thougtfull of the admin to send me a private message welcoming me to the site.

Only criticism so far is there seems to be a lot of emphasis on posting before you can view all the forums. I can understand the reason but peesonally i tend to read a lot of posts before posting because I know it annoys members when they have to answer the same questions. Hopefully this policy doesn't lead to many stupid questions or perhaps members here are more friendly than most forums. Well I'llfind out soon enough as I am an absolute beginner and bound to ask some stupid questions.

Once you post ONE post, the site will open up to you within 60 minutes. This is purely about protecting our members photos being taken and used. Most people who are searching the net for a particular photo to use without permission from the photographer, will not wait around 60 minutes to get one, they will move onto another site where it is freely available. We do all we can to protect members photos from copyright breaches through un-authorised use.

And yes we tend to be a bit more friendly than a lot of forums, cause we don't allow personal attacks etc..at all! So stick around and enjoy!

Sid snot
05-10-2013, 11:37pm
Hello, I'm a new member
I am also a Nikon user, but please don't hold that against me,
have a d90, I used to be Olympus user back in the days of film, but now in the digital era, am a Nikon convert.

Newses Bach
09-10-2013, 4:28pm
As a brand new member, I was pleased and impressed with the rules and being directed there before making my first post. I really appreciated their philosophy. I think the only thing that stopped me becoming 'active' straight away was not being able to or knowing how to make a post straight away; I was long gone by the time I could have posted, and have been running ever since. I haven't belonged to any photography forum before, but I see I struck lucky here. While I was a little confused as to how to proceed, I was also aware that I was in too high a gear for things to sink in, and that I needed to come back when I was not feeling pressurised and take things slowly a step at a time. Now I'll continue my search for the appropriate "Hello Everybody" thread!

Kym
09-10-2013, 4:39pm
As a brand new member, I was pleased and impressed with the rules and being directed there before making my first post. I really appreciated their philosophy. I think the only thing that stopped me becoming 'active' straight away was not being able to or knowing how to make a post straight away; I was long gone by the time I could have posted, and have been running ever since. I haven't belonged to any photography forum before, but I see I struck lucky here. While I was a little confused as to how to proceed, I was also aware that I was in too high a gear for things to sink in, and that I needed to come back when I was not feeling pressurised and take things slowly a step at a time. Now I'll continue my search for the appropriate "Hello Everybody" thread!

Try ... www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?4-Introductions :D

AJ89
11-10-2013, 2:27pm
Hello all,
I'm a newbie in all forms of the word. New on here and new to photography. I've played around all my life with photo's and now it's my turn to actually starting learning what it's all about. I love the fact that negative criticsm and personal attacks are actually monitored here as the photography world can be very harsh. Can't wait to see everyone's work and start using this forum. Found it a bit overwhelming at first but I'm slowly finding my way around and you can't say I didn't get the hint when reading the rules, which is one of the things that made me register.

Talk to you all soon

:flowersnap: :clogo:

kaibeau
13-10-2013, 1:36pm
Hi there, love the forum and the introduction was good.......:)

ricktas
13-10-2013, 1:48pm
Hi there, love the forum and the introduction was good.......:)

Hope that means we will get to see you joining in more, rather than a post every couple of months go get your access back then?

raerae
24-10-2013, 4:15pm
This new kid in town is still learning to find her way around the forum and the link provided helped a lot. Whenever I can find some minutes I come in here to read more of the "how to...?"

RobC
30-10-2013, 8:01pm
New to the site today. Site recommendation from a friend and site member. Nikon user- old enough to remember film- occasionally polish up some of my camera collection. Looking forward to threads and posts. Intro info all looks good.

Hawk23
30-12-2013, 5:31pm
I found the link VERY helpful, nothing confusing a great intro, :)

Jannc
07-01-2014, 6:16pm
Thanks for the email. Lots of handy information. I'm fairly new to digital photography. So I'm looking forward to learning lots to improve my pics.
cheers,
Jann

markdphotography
07-01-2014, 8:47pm
I think I found this site a few years back and got eye strain reading the rules which I do appreciate. The 30/50 rule really threw me the most and it takes the impetus out of joining a forum/group. From my experience I am a bit like instant coffee and don't like to brew for too long before I get a taste. I really don't mind contributing and I am happy to share my knowledge and experience based over 25 years and several photographic clubs so I will try and persevere this time. I recognised Kim's name from another group so I hope that his involvement is an indication of the "quality" of the site as I respect his knowledge, experience and assistance previously. I will go back to reading and try not to fall asleep. I always follow the golden rule - he who has the gold rules.

Let's see what happens in the next 30 days.

Cheers

Mark

bomber
20-01-2014, 10:38pm
I found it okay

Mark L
20-01-2014, 11:02pm
..... Let's see what happens in the next 30 days.

Looks like it's going okay.:th3::)

ArunM
05-02-2014, 3:40pm
This is my first post and although have not read all of the rules, I thought that I should start with the introduction. Hobby photographer for the last 10-15 years, only giving some serious thought for the last one year. I have a Nikon D7000 with a 18-280 Tamron and 50mm 1.8. Planning to buy a 80-200 2.8 soon.

Heatherdee
21-03-2014, 4:21pm
I have returned to this site after a couple of years, thinking that I would start on the Learning Book . I have never been one for posting on forums as I feel very inadequate with my camera knowledge. In the two years that I have been away I joined two camera clubs. After two years I feel I still don't fully understand what I am doing with the camera, however I do not shoot on auto anymore - I do shoot on AV or TV. I thought that by joining a camera club I might feel more comfortable with showing my photos but instead everyone brings such wonderful photos and all I do is critisise my own for not being sharp and feeling they are not good enough to enter. I decided to return to this site to follow the Learning Plan but notice I can’t view it unless I post to the forum so I feel I am in a no win situation.

Tikira
21-03-2014, 5:08pm
Heatherdee- and all the other newbies feeling aprehensive.
Don't be worried about your photo's "not being good enough" We have all levels of expertise here, and we were all in your nervous shoes at one stage. I can only say that by joining in you will learn more than you would ever believe. Just the extra incentive to "Take a shot for the forum" tends to make you look critically at your own work, and aim higher than you otherwise may.

In giving CC you don't have to say what you don't like, just tell the person what you DO like about it, everyone has an opinion and everyone's input is taken seriously. The person who is being CC can take it on board, think about it some more, or accept the advice. Whichever way, both the giver and taker of the advice has learned something- a win/win situation.

Besides, we have lots of fun here, it is a community because we interact with one another- please join us.
Di

ricktas
21-03-2014, 7:08pm
I have returned to this site after a couple of years, thinking that I would start on the Learning Book . I have never been one for posting on forums as I feel very inadequate with my camera knowledge. In the two years that I have been away I joined two camera clubs. After two years I feel I still don't fully understand what I am doing with the camera, however I do not shoot on auto anymore - I do shoot on AV or TV. I thought that by joining a camera club I might feel more comfortable with showing my photos but instead everyone brings such wonderful photos and all I do is critisise my own for not being sharp and feeling they are not good enough to enter. I decided to return to this site to follow the Learning Plan but notice I can’t view it unless I post to the forum so I feel I am in a no win situation.

Good to see you back. Ausphotography is free, but all we ask is that to have access, is that members join in on the forums. If you start posting photos for CC and read the replies, and modify how you shoot based on the advice given, you can improve. Millions of people take great photos everyday, there is only one thing stopping you doing so as well.

ameerat42
21-03-2014, 7:25pm
... I decided to return to this site to follow the Learning Plan but notice I can’t view it unless I post to the forum so I feel I am in a no win situation...

Heather. I am PLEASED to tell you that you've got it slightly wrong.
You can be happy too! Forget the Learning plan for a moment. The key to getting about the forum AND to getting ahead with your photography is
to actually jump in and do something. Your ideas are just as valid as anybody else's. This is a forum, and the only rule is not to be rude and unconscionable,
both of which I think you already fulfil.

So I suggest: Click on New Posts. Have a bit of a look at them. Pick one or two that interest you, then comment on it as to why.
You can be brief. You may well get some response, too. Then after a bit of that, post up one of your pictures and say what you
have tried to achieve/didn't succeed with/anything else relevant. You will get feedback and you can put it to practice.

.....the rest will be history.

Am(certian of it!).

PS: :)

Mark L
24-03-2014, 9:41pm
.... I thought that by joining a camera club I might feel more comfortable with showing my photos but instead everyone brings such wonderful photos and all I do is critisise my own for not being sharp and feeling they are not good enough to enter. ...

Don't compare yourself to others. None of us would be taking photos if we based it on what the best photographers do. Enjoy your photos because you took them.
Another way to learn different things may be if you get involved in this years members challenge ('tis not to late). Gives me a reason to take a photo each week.:) .... http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?188-Member-Challenges-52-2014

moraleda
02-05-2014, 3:20pm
Hi Ricktas. I've been out of this forum, but now, I'm back again. Thanks.

AngusG
03-05-2014, 9:03am
I've been here for a week or two now and have been lurking more than I've been posting. The forums are busy, but that means there's always something to read. I don't think I'd be able keep up with it without the Unread filter in Tapatalk (I think I've visited the forums website maybe twice, just to see what it looks like. Even now I'm typing on my iPad beside my MacBook on my desk). The general discussion is really great though, and pretty much with each discussion there's an opportunity to learn from or contribute to.

Eventually I will get the confidence to post a couple of happy snaps. Eventually :)

georgemelchersvip
06-05-2014, 4:54pm
Hi Ricktas,
Many thanks for your welcome message, I find it useful.
George

RobEG
07-05-2014, 5:12pm
Hey Rick
I am totally new to forums of any description but think this site seems very well resolved and navigation was straight forward.
I look forward to contributing.

Matthew21
08-05-2014, 2:18pm
To all the new members,

When you join up and the site sends you the private message from me, welcoming you to Ausphotography, how helpful is the link in that message. The link goes to Getting Started on Ausphotography (AP). I am just wondering if you found that thread really useful, if any bits are confusing, is anything missing, and could you give us some advice on how to make that thread better. After all, it is often the first thing you read after joining the site and if we can make it even better, we will. All feedback appreciated.

I love the introductory part and the navigational part of this forum is very useful. I am an amateur photographer and i hope i will get the best of the help from this forum so that i can improve my photography skills :) :D:cool:

JMac
12-05-2014, 8:50pm
Hi Rick,
I have read the Getting Started section and have found it straight forward and detailed. I'm still feeling my way around the site and I enjoy everything being offered. Still absorbing what's on offer and will spend many hours taking it all in.

regards,
John

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Rick,
I was just reviewing my member info when I registered and noticed that I have given myself a skill level of Intermediate. I don't know how I managed to click on that and I would like to request that it is changed to Beginner. I trust this is acceptable and I apologise for the mistake.

Regards,
John

ricktas
12-05-2014, 9:35pm
Hi Rick,
I have read the Getting Started section and have found it straight forward and detailed. I'm still feeling my way around the site and I enjoy everything being offered. Still absorbing what's on offer and will spend many hours taking it all in.

regards,
John

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Rick,
I was just reviewing my member info when I registered and noticed that I have given myself a skill level of Intermediate. I don't know how I managed to click on that and I would like to request that it is changed to Beginner. I trust this is acceptable and I apologise for the mistake.

Regards,
John

Sorry, but we will not lower a members experience level without seeing their contributions to the site over a period of time. Namely photographs and critique to other members. Lowering a level on request just gives people a higher chance of winning one of our competitions, if their originally chosen level is where they should have been. So get back to us in about a month, once you have posted some photos for critique, etc and we will re-evaluate your level at that time.

AngusG
15-05-2014, 12:51pm
Is Intermediate the default level Rick? I managed to do the same thing (will start posting photos for critique soon).

Also, when I try to load the website on my iPhone all I get is a blank page. Is that by design, a bug on your end or a bug on my end?

Finally I learnt something over the weekend: there is so much more to this site than what can be viewed using Tapatalk.

ricktas
15-05-2014, 3:06pm
Is Intermediate the default level Rick? I managed to do the same thing (will start posting photos for critique soon).

Also, when I try to load the website on my iPhone all I get is a blank page. Is that by design, a bug on your end or a bug on my end?

Finally I learnt something over the weekend: there is so much more to this site than what can be viewed using Tapatalk.

on your phone try choosing 'view as desktop'

bitsnpieces
15-05-2014, 3:26pm
Hi Rick, I have a similar issue, didn't think much of it but after seeing at least one other has the same issue, I know it's not just me. :)
I tried Chrome, Opera, and Opera Mini (using Sony Xperia Z)

The main home page comes up blank, and the only way I was eventually able to get onto the forums was to search on Google, found a thread within the forum, went to that, and it loaded the thread no problems. After that, I was able to go to the main page and bookmark it - no problems so far.

ricktas
15-05-2014, 6:32pm
Hi Rick, I have a similar issue, didn't think much of it but after seeing at least one other has the same issue, I know it's not just me. :)
I tried Chrome, Opera, and Opera Mini (using Sony Xperia Z)

The main home page comes up blank, and the only way I was eventually able to get onto the forums was to search on Google, found a thread within the forum, went to that, and it loaded the thread no problems. After that, I was able to go to the main page and bookmark it - no problems so far.

I use firefox on my mobile devices and if you select 'request site as desktop' the homepage and the rest of the site loads fine. Look for a similar option in Chrome, Opera etc.

We also have both forumrunner and tapatalk mobile apps installed, for mobile device viewing.

Android

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.endoftime.android.forumrunner
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.quoord.tapatalkpro.activity

Apple

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tapatalk-community-reader/id307880732?mt=8
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/forum-runner-vbulletin/id362527234?mt=8

AngusG
21-05-2014, 2:34pm
I use mobile safari which doesn't have the option. I'm not going to change browsers for the sake of one website, I thought I'd just pass on the feedback that the mobile version of the website is broken.

WhoDo
21-05-2014, 2:49pm
I'm not going to change browsers for the sake of one website, I thought I'd just pass on the feedback that the mobile version of the website is broken.

Um, no it isn't. Your choice of browser is simply not supported. Tapatalk and Forum Runner are both available for the iPhone (these are not browsers by the way) to get you the access you need without changing browsers. Just saying.:confused013

AngusG
21-05-2014, 2:54pm
Um, no it isn't. Your choice of browser is simply not supported. Tapatalk and Forum Runner are both available for the iPhone (these are not browsers by the way) to get you the access you need without changing browsers. Just saying.:confused013

Um. Yes it is. Ricksta also said a few posts ago that he had to switch his mobile browser to View in desktop mode. If the mobile version of the site wasn't broken, it would load without him needing to do that.

I already use Tapatalk for the forums. It would be nice to access non forum content on my device.

Again. Just passing on feedback. What you do with it is up to you.

Kym
21-05-2014, 3:54pm
Ok, for Safari Mobile use this URL to bypass the mobile style in the first instance. Append ?styleid=39 is the trick.

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forum.php?styleid=39

It works on my iPhone, albeit I normally use Chrome on my iPhone.

WhoDo
21-05-2014, 6:15pm
Um. Yes it is. Ricksta also said a few posts ago that he had to switch his mobile browser to View in desktop mode. If the mobile version of the site wasn't broken, it would load without him needing to do that.

Ok, then I guess QLD lotteries must also be "broken" because you don't win them every week? It's a question of perspective, Angus. Just because something doesn't work for you doesn't mean it's "broken"; it simply means it doesn't work for you, with your current configuration. If it works for 99.999999% of people then maybe its your end that's "broken"? Got the feedback, and fed it back. What you do with that is up to you, too! Just sayin'.

Kym's given you a workaround. Now it's up to you to fix it at your end. This site is FREE and that should always be borne in mind when offering feedback. Saying something is "broken" is insulting to those who work so hard, for FREE, to provide it in the first place.

AngusG
21-05-2014, 6:32pm
Ok, then I guess QLD lotteries must also be "broken" because you don't win them every week? It's a question of perspective, Angus. Just because something doesn't work for you doesn't mean it's "broken"; it simply means it doesn't work for you, with your current configuration. If it works for 99.999999% of people then maybe its your end that's "broken"? Got the feedback, and fed it back. What you do with that is up to you, too! Just sayin'.

###? Sorry to say, but if something's not functioning then it by definition is "broken". Rickstas and bitsnpieces both confirmed in their above posts that it's "broken" for them too. If you look up I also posted originally asking if it was an issue on my end.

Kym's given you a workaround. Now it's up to you to fix it at your end. This site is FREE and that should always be borne in mind when offering feedback. Saying something is "broken" is insulting to those who work so hard, for FREE, to provide it in the first place.

The reason I brought it up again was because I found the tone of rickstas reply to bitsnpieces post a tad short and on the side of condescending. As I was the one who originally reported the issue he was having, I guess I took it a little personally.

I am sorry you took insult to me saying the mobile site is broken, but I can be hardly responsible what the definition of what broken is.

Kym's workaround is working fine for me. Thanks for caring.

Also, thanks to Kym for posting the work around. Much appreciated.

Kym
21-05-2014, 7:59pm
We have turned off the mobile skin for a while, it seems to cause more grief than it is worth.

Given we have both Tapatalk and Forumrunner for small devices the full site by default in browsers makes sense.

WhoDo
21-05-2014, 9:44pm
###? Sorry to say, but if something's not functioning then it by definition is "broken". Rickstas and bitsnpieces both confirmed in their above posts that it's "broken" for them too. If you look up I also posted originally asking if it was an issue on my end.

So by definition your mobile phone is broken then? After all, it doesn't work properly with our site! Do you see the fallacy in that logic? I sure do. We'll just have to A2D.

I'm of the generation where we first look to see if the problem originates on our side before blaming anyone else. Old fashioned concept, I know. "Broken" for me means "Inoperable". It operates. You just didn't like the way it operated on your phone with your browser. Fair enough to report the problem, but not to suggest the site/software is "broken" because you and one or two others have a problem with that. If you can't see my point by now I guess you never will. No matter. The "problem", such as it was, has been dealt with by the ever vigilant and long-suffering Kym anyway. ;)

AngusG
21-05-2014, 9:48pm
If you can't see my point by now I guess you never will.

Touché.

arthurking83
22-05-2014, 9:13am
I tried Chrome, Opera, and Opera Mini (using Sony Xperia Z) .....

While it's definitely not just you(or Angus) .. like WhoDo says .. it must be something on your end.

I just logged in on my Xperia Z using the built in browser .. had to download and install Tapatalk which I did after the prompt from getting to the AP hompage.
Once Tapatalk was installed, I had no trouble viewing any of the site.
(didn't like it actually .. can't see a thing .. way too small, too limited and of course back on the PC :D)

Trying to find the version of tapatalk I downloaded is slightly nighmare-ish! .. but turns out that it's version 4.5.2 if that helps.
Couldn't tell 'ya what version of the browser I'm using can't find any info on it.

ps. I used to use Firefox on my SGSII, as I found it worked better overall.
Since my 'update' to the Xperia Z, I found that the built in browser is all that's needed(for now).
I'm not the type to browse the net on my phone, as I find it annoying more than anything else.
I'm only inclined to use it for 'emergencies' .. where I actually need to find out some info on something specific.

AngusG
22-05-2014, 9:54am
We have turned off the mobile skin for a while, it seems to cause more grief than it is worth.

Given we have both Tapatalk and Forumrunner for small devices the full site by default in browsers makes sense.

Kym. Only just saw this and I can now access it via the homepage on my iPhone.

I'm guessing this is why it'd be working for authurking without an issue as well.

wasnapper
07-06-2014, 10:20pm
Hi,
I have been here for a few days now and am pleased with my decision to join AusPhotography. Feeling at home already.

One question though, I am interested in the competitions and I have started off as a beginner on here, should I be classed as intermediate?

I ask as I have been taking photographs for a long time, even did some home b&w film and print processing. I guess I am only really new to digital and the post process options. Don't ant to enter any comps under false pretences

ricktas
07-06-2014, 10:47pm
Hi,
I have been here for a few days now and am pleased with my decision to join AusPhotography. Feeling at home already.

One question though, I am interested in the competitions and I have started off as a beginner on here, should I be classed as intermediate?

I ask as I have been taking photographs for a long time, even did some home b&w film and print processing. I guess I am only really new to digital and the post process options. Don't ant to enter any comps under false pretences

As per the discussion in your introduction thread, you will notice you are now intermediate level.

BarrieAllan
15-06-2014, 9:16am
Hi ricktas and other mods. This site is fantastic. love the rules as being an amateur photographer (if there was a level below amateur id be that) not having full access helps you find your way around and learn a lot easier before progressing. I look forward to posting a few pics and get some feedback.

I am very new to 'Digital ' photography and to computers.
Have the feeling that I have a lot to learn , but looking forward to it.

................................................................. Cheers BarrieAllan ,

robmoore
15-06-2014, 12:08pm
To all the new members,

When you join up and the site sends you the private message from me, welcoming you to Ausphotography, how helpful is the link in that message. The link goes to Getting Started on Ausphotography (AP). I am just wondering if you found that thread really useful, if any bits are confusing, is anything missing, and could you give us some advice on how to make that thread better. After all, it is often the first thing you read after joining the site and if we can make it even better, we will. All feedback appreciated.

This is just a quick thank you and acknowledgement of the various helpful features of the site. For a start, the monochrome check of my monitor is acceptable - but the colour version will need some attention - when time permits.
Regards
robmoore

Abeniston
23-06-2014, 12:12pm
Recently got the newsletter via email. Thought this wasn't a bad idea at all. Maybe a little short, but having said that I am not to sure how much content was sifted through in order to come up with what was in the final run.

scholesb
30-07-2014, 10:04am
Thanks for the info.

Very extensive, especially if your reading it while you are supposed to be working!

Not a massive fan of the 30-50 rules but understand the logic. At least as a member I can get access to most area eventually - I'm a member a couple of forums that only give access by moderator permission, not by use or involvement. That's like being at school again and not getting picked first for sports!

Great forum so far - looking forward to further exploring...

Kym
30-07-2014, 12:07pm
Not a massive fan of the 30-50 rules but understand the logic.

There is little restricted by this rule; it does help us manage spammers and people who only come to bag out a vendor or such.
As we don't know the new member, and they could be a competitor or promoting their own product/site etc., we need the rule.
In the end AP is a very safe place, we have been criticised for over moderation, but the alternate is just ugly.

feathers
30-07-2014, 1:41pm
In he past, I've looked at other forums, when researching a particular product, and man!.. the sledging that goes on in some of the sights, is unbelievable:eek: I like the respect and help given to all on this forum, no matter what their skill level.:)
A nicely run ship ricktas. Cheers.

kdr500
11-08-2014, 9:21pm
The link is very useful & much appreciated. thanks

Zombie
13-08-2014, 10:28pm
yes. very useful, thx.

Canowind
31-08-2014, 8:11am
Agree, link is useful. Also agree "rules" are necessary. I avoid forums where threads slide into negative criticism or hijacked by vested interests. Also jumping through a few hoops, does tend to make you a bit more committed due to the time invested!

BigShotPhotos
03-09-2014, 10:31am
*removed : read the site rules. Only members with more than 30 days membership and 50 posts can post classifieds on this site*

NickoHG
22-04-2015, 10:28am
Hi all, just got back into this site, looking forward to getting involved. Cheers

DacrimL
23-04-2015, 8:04pm
Yep, I liked the intro and welcome PM Rick, I found the links useful as well as the rules and still find myself going back to both for a refresher as such from time to time :wd:

Thank you for your time and effort Rick and to all the Mods who have either helped or reprimanded me along the way so far :p

CoolyCafe
01-05-2015, 6:16am
Great site with some really good advice.

jolebau
09-05-2015, 7:39pm
great information to help you get started.
I look forward to learning from others and getting involved

Thanks for the great site

luckierobyn
30-05-2015, 3:35pm
Thanks for all of the help with getting started.
I am still to find the place where I tell you a bit about myself, so I am writing it all right here. I am recently retired, and we seem to be doing a fair bit of travelling around the country side. I just love the bush and the nature in Australia. I live near the beach, in Black Rock, Victoria. I am just a beginner at photography, but I am a keen learner.

Thanks Rick for the welcome mat.

Robyn Luckie

ameerat42
31-05-2015, 10:19am
Hi Robyn. You are in the "right" area, Introductions. Just start a new thread telling us a bit about yourself.

Click on this link here (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?4-Introductions) and on that page,
click the button "Post New Thread". :D

Am.

loudy66
29-08-2015, 12:29am
Hi Ricktas, thankyou for the Welcome email. As I am a new to this forum and photography I am finding it very helpful. Lots to read and take in but worth it. Thankyou ...

petgor54
26-12-2015, 6:39pm
Hi Rick,its good to be back into the site again.
I will be posting soon.
Regards
Peter

Annette
01-01-2016, 6:15pm
I will probably have to reread it, it is that long since I visited lol

geo arch
30-05-2016, 6:52pm
Hi Rictas ,

Thanks for the Welcome message.. there's alot to absorb .. great to see such a large and active forum .. came across it by accident ..

Been shooting some film ( Olympus 35 SP ) as of last year as well as MFT digital EM1 - very diverse subject interests when i look at my favourite photos

Cheers

robynmau
30-05-2016, 8:57pm
Thanks for the link you emailed, it was very useful

ameerat42
30-05-2016, 9:02pm
Hi Geo Arch and Robynmau, new members.

Thanks for your feedback.

Welcome to AP. Usually new members post their own Intro thread in the Intro forum.
More people usually see it that way.

Am.

juju12jjj
19-06-2016, 2:23pm
Thanks for the Getting Started link - it is useful for sure.

xygt01
22-06-2016, 10:22pm
hi thanks for the post its very helpfull for a newby being that the rules are a lot firmer here which in lots of ways should be great

RobCrutcher
08-08-2016, 10:11pm
Hi Rick, the welcome did pop up but as I was viewing the site via a messenger invitation, the links didn't work. This site looks like it has a ton of information though and I am looking forward to browsing through.

Cheers,
Rob

kenb27
25-09-2016, 3:06pm
Hi, intro was very good and looking forward to posting some pics. I am mainly interested in bird photography, using a Nikon D7100 and Sigma 150-500 lens.

BenMitchell
02-04-2017, 10:03pm
The link you sent was very helpful, there is a lot of information and tabs to check out and that page provided a great summary.

Cheers
Ben

rashaaava
19-04-2017, 9:23pm
Yes it helped quite a bit

memoirsphotography
30-05-2017, 8:09pm
Hi everyone!
I just received the email and it was helpful. Personally, I wouldn't change anything.
I found it very useful and helpful. Thank You and I look forward to seeing, learning and experiencing!

Mark L
30-05-2017, 8:50pm
Thank You and I look forward to seeing, learning and experiencing!
And posting some photos for CC or CC others photos. It's what makes forums like this work.:th3:
And welcome to a good place to learn.

PhilipAG
19-08-2017, 1:00pm
>Really looks like a nice forum with lots of information!

sjsimages
18-11-2017, 8:41pm
Hi Rick, the information you sent was very informative but quite long. It will take me awhile to get through it all. But appreciate that it is necessary to keep the site running smoothly. Looking forward to becoming more involved with Ausphotography.

Kalipc
18-03-2018, 5:48pm
Hi Rick, the guide is very comprehensive and very helpful for the newcomer. But, I can't find any information recommending sites to host my photos. Although my photos aren't yet very good, I'm wary about placing them in the public domain on sites like Flickr. Perhaps I am missing the relevant thread? Sorry, I'm sure this topic is covered somewhere but I have searched quite hard.

ricktas
18-03-2018, 7:19pm
Hi Rick, the guide is very comprehensive and very helpful for the newcomer. But, I can't find any information recommending sites to host my photos. Although my photos aren't yet very good, I'm wary about placing them in the public domain on sites like Flickr. Perhaps I am missing the relevant thread? Sorry, I'm sure this topic is covered somewhere but I have searched quite hard.

We don't have specific hosting sites that we recommend as such. Flickr is popular! It is up to members to decide where they want to put their photos. However some photo hosting sites do not work well with BBcode (needed to forums) so when you try and link your photos into a forum, they do not display correctly. From memory, some of the google sites have this issue (Pikasa used to). And I recall people having issues linking photos from google photos.

You can upload them direct to Ausphotography.. but if you do, you cannot then link them to other forums you may want to share them on.

Instructions on uploading direct to Ausphotography are here: http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?156476-Attaching-Images-To-Posts-On-AP

Lisandra
22-03-2018, 7:03pm
I also followed the links around and found the site intro very well designed, and packed with info for beginners that money just can't buy this (https://fa-fa-fa-slot-online.com), well not my level of funds anyway :-)

ameerat42
22-03-2018, 7:11pm
Too bad you won't be able to make use of it:rolleyes:

Mark L
22-03-2018, 8:09pm
What goes on there?
Liaanddra was such a nice name.

ricktas
22-03-2018, 8:57pm
What goes on there?

They used a temp email service to join and they are not in Victoria, they are elsewhere in the world... not even in the southern hemisphere...hence the location of 'town' as they likely have no idea of any places in Victoria

If you do not know what temp email services do, you can create an email that is active for 15 minutes. so you can email and verify accounts etc, and then 15 minutes later the email address implodes and is destroyed. Often used by spammers as it hides their tracks.

ameerat42
22-03-2018, 9:59pm
What goes on there?

--Maybe he - it was a he - will use that next time instead of "Lisandra":rolleyes:

hsaligari
17-04-2018, 11:53am
i am new today and there is so much information. i have read all the links but going around in circles, i'm sure i will get the hang of it
:lol:

mikebeltrametti
20-04-2018, 4:57pm
I love to visit this forum. I am a photographer myself and It will be helpful for me to share some information and to learn more through other users.

Mark L
21-04-2018, 8:12pm
I love to visit this forum. I am a photographer myself and It will be helpful for me to share some information and to learn more through other users.

That happens by getting involved on AP.:th3:

The Dronefather
21-05-2019, 11:26am
I found the email to be very helpful and concise.
There is a lot of info and rules, but I understand why the strict rules apply and they make sense to maintain control of the forum.
Now I just need to find the time and become an active member!

Pyk
30-08-2019, 2:47pm
I'm going to be honest, i skimmed the email and missed the links.
I thought, its nice to see a human face for a change to know the site owner is real, but didn't click the links then got really confused.

For what its worth if there is a way to shove those links right in your face on new registration that would be helpful as everyone is 'time poor' and just wants to get in and post ASAP.

Either way I intend to be around for the long haul.

ameerat42
30-08-2019, 2:53pm
I thought, its nice to see a human face for a change to know the site owner is real, but didn't click the links then got really confused.

For what its worth if there is a way to shove those links right in your face on new registration that would be helpful as everyone is 'time poor' and just wants to get in and post ASAP.

It's good to be honest, and to have that "long haul" intention. You can read up on those links sometime along the way,
especially the rules that you agree to by accepting them. You can also click on the tab labelled "Forum Rules" :D

ricktas
30-08-2019, 7:26pm

hehe. We did shove them in your face.. in the welcome message.. You are not alone in not reading it, but even if I did setup a pop-up saying read this now... you would likely just dismiss it too. :D

Pyk
31-08-2019, 10:47am
True, impatience does dominate most of the population.
and I have started reading the rule.....now :P

Mark L
31-08-2019, 9:57pm
True, impatience does dominate most of the population.
and I have started reading the rule.....now :P

just start posting photos and comment on others posted photos.:)

ArthurM
05-10-2019, 10:21am
I found it most helpful Rick, it is a great help to finding your way around the site.

pakman2525
16-11-2019, 10:16am
Hi all, after a brief hiatus I'm back again. I'll have to go through all the information again.
Thanks

ronanroger
02-12-2019, 10:49pm
I appreciate your post.