PDA

View Full Version : How to photograph the earth when you're standing on it.

bobt
13-05-2022, 3:50pm
We were recently lucky enough to have two successive art installations in Melbourne (one of which is still here). The first was a 20 foot replica of the Moon, and the current one is a 20 foot replica of the Earth.
Now given that my Moon shots are rubbish, and I struggle to stand back far enough to capture the Earth, I figured that this was a good chance to get some shots and use them in something.

Not entirely happy with this one, but it's a start. The Moon was a better model, and I'll be able to have it appearing in the background of some composited images. I'm sure other ideas will come along in due course.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the moon by itself .... minus all the rubbish around it of course.

ameerat42
14-05-2022, 3:43am
- And the far side, to boot! You sure do get about
in space :D

nardes
14-05-2022, 10:16am
Wow, thanks Bob, the topography of the Moon looks to be quite accurate from my telescopic views, although we only get to see the side facing the Earth due the Moon's "captured" rotation and a bit extra due to Libration.:)

Any idea of the materials used in the construction?

Cheers

Dennis

Mary Anne
14-05-2022, 11:52am
Bob what a great idea. Interesting what the other side of the Moon looks like.

bobt
14-05-2022, 2:09pm
Wow, thanks Bob, the topography of the Moon looks to be quite accurate from my telescopic views, although we only get to see the side facing the Earth due the Moon's "captured" rotation and a bit extra due to Libration.:)

Any idea of the materials used in the construction?

Cheers

Dennis

Not sure what it's made out of - here's what the blurb says.... "The massive 23meter wide, high resolution image used to create the moon artwork, was created by the Astrogeology Science Centre in the USA. The imagery was taken by a NASA satellite carrying the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter Camera launched in 2010." You can read more at https://my-moon.org/about/

Interesting subject - here's what it looked like in situ.

nardes
15-05-2022, 9:46am
Thanks Bob, I guess I'll have to wait for a Brisbane date as I could not see one scheduled for 2022.:)

Cheers

Dennis

bitsnpieces
15-05-2022, 4:22pm
Where is this at?

If it's not too late, might be something nice for the kids to loon at

bobt
21-05-2022, 4:21pm
Where is this at?

If it's not too late, might be something nice for the kids to loon at

Sorry .... didn't see this post until now. It's still on in Melbourne - go to https://cathedral.org.au/Gaia/

landyvlad
22-05-2022, 12:56pm
very cool

bitsnpieces
09-06-2022, 10:27pm
Gotta make some plans then

Oakley
10-06-2022, 4:52pm
Imagination and top marks for your view of the world from standing back :nod: great work Bob !!

bobt
10-06-2022, 8:07pm
Imagination and top marks for your view of the world from standing back :nod: great work Bob !!

Thanks ! I love this sort of photography - I'm a bit over the same old, same old. :D