PDA

View Full Version : Hello from a beginner

hellocharley
03-08-2020, 11:23am
Hi friends! My name is Terri, I'm 30 years old and living in Hobart. I'm a wife, a dog mum & a big dork (:

My photography journey began playing Pokemon Snap on the Nintendo64 :P But it really began in my year 11 photography class, and I've wanted a camera ever since. This year I was celebrating my 30th birthday in lockdown so my husband arranged for his family to chip in and get me one! It's a Canon EOS 800D. So far I have done a lot of experimenting at local areas, with my dogs, my nephew and some local ducks :D I've had had some successes but I'm very intimidated to share them.

I would really love recommendations for educational resources regarding the technical side of cameras & how to choose a lens. My interests are nature and macro photography so I'm planning to buy a macro lens my tax return. I also have no idea where to start with post-production software but we only have a laptop so I don't know how doable that is until we have a real computer.

Thank you for taking the time to read my introduction, I hope you're having a lovely day and staying safe x

ricktas
03-08-2020, 11:26am
Hi Terri. Welcome. For educational stuff. Click on library across the top menu and check out the new to photography section. It breaks down all the technical camera functions into individual items.

See you round the forums

ameerat42
03-08-2020, 11:35am
Hi Terri. Welcome to AP.

hellocharley
03-08-2020, 11:36am
Thanks Rick, I'll have a look now. I see you're from Hobart too, is there anything about the local photography world I should know?

ricktas
03-08-2020, 11:42am
Thanks Rick, I'll have a look now. I see you're from Hobart too, is there anything about the local photography world I should know?

With covid-19 most clubs etc locally are not meeting that much. However, we should get some snow opportunities this week.

Mary Anne
03-08-2020, 1:32pm
Hello Terri and Welcome to AP.. Sounds like a Great Plan :nod:
I shoot Macro I have 3 Macro lenses for my Canon cameras and one for my Olympus Camera.
A few of us on here shoot Macro mainly Insects and Spiders so you will get plenty of Help here.

Belly
03-08-2020, 8:20pm
Welcome aboard Terri, you'll find a lot of everything you need right here on AP. Contribute, ask questions, have fun:th3:

Cheers
Belly

Toddyh
04-08-2020, 6:33am
Welcome Terri. Plenty of info around here.

Hawthy
04-08-2020, 6:47pm
Welcome aboard, Terri. Lots to learn but don't be discouraged. Best idea is to post photos for critical critique and take that "CC" on board. Don't think that you need to post only awesome photos because everyone here was a beginner at some stage and everyone is happy to share what they have learned since they first picked up a camera.:th3: