PDA

View Full Version : New here....just saying Hi!

PhotoJedi
10-05-2019, 3:32pm
Hey there....im new so im dropping in to say hello....Hello!

Ive been looking for a place i can go to for help/advice involving photography. As nobody i know is really into it the way i want to be, i cant speak with anyone about stuff.

Im here to gain knowledge from people who know what they are talking about and have similar interests to me.

So i am not what i would call a "Photographer", but i like cameras, i like to take photos....i want to become much better. I have a Canon 80D with a kit lens (18-135mm) and i usually use the P, Tv and Av settings. I want to learn how to use Manual mode without having to think for 10 minutes about what i need to consider etc.

I am looking forward to the possibilities i might reach with knowledgeable people i can talk to or meet etc.

Ok i dont know what else to say....so thats it for now

CHEERS!

ameerat42
10-05-2019, 4:31pm
Welcome to AP. Join in, post your pics, ask Qs, and give CC to others.
Pretty soon you won't know yourself - photographically that is :)

ricktas
10-05-2019, 5:16pm
Welcome aboard. Pull up your chair. join in.

st87
10-05-2019, 10:52pm
Hi there PhotoJedi,

I think we're from the same camp. Being a technical person, I like gadgets, and see cameras belonging to that group.

I am a full time manual shooter as well, and my process is similar to what Aperture priority aims to automate anyway.

With that said, usually set Aperture first, based on the scenario and what depth of field I want. Things I consider:
- what are my subjects?
- what do I want in focus and what I do I want blury
- what's the sharpest Aperture for my lens, if I may compromise the above?

Then I change shutter speed/ISO to compensate for exposure.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

PhotoJedi
11-05-2019, 9:54am
Thanks for the welcome guys and the info thus far!

Ill start moving into the areas where i should be asking questions.

Cheers!

Mary Anne
11-05-2019, 4:20pm
Hi PhotoJedi and Welcome to AP.. A great intro BTW :nod:
The First thing you need to do it click on Library up the top of the page and read the *New To Photography Book* and *How do I *
That will get you started, then take a photo or two and put it on the Forum which Genre it is, Birds, Wildlife Land/Seascapes Plants you will find a lot there.
I am a Manual shooter also, so will look forward to seeing what you post on the Forum.

bitsnpieces
14-05-2019, 12:53am
Hi and welcome to AP :)

Think everyone has already given you the main tips you need, only thing I can add in is no need to rush into manual mode.

Nothing wrong Ruth semi auto; just pay attention to what the camera does when you do things and you'll start getting an idea what you need to do when in manual mode too