PDA

View Full Version : Cicadas

Bear Dale
18-01-2018, 3:12pm
Holy moly what are the cicadas like in your neck of the woods? It must have been a GREAT season for them here!

If they get any louder I'm going to have to put plugs in my ears :eek:

ameerat42
18-01-2018, 3:43pm
Driving through the leafy suburbs with windows down it's one continuous DIN!
It's as if you have a bunch of them following you along...:eek:

Geoff79
18-01-2018, 3:49pm
Masses of them everywhere I’ve been this summer. It’s an annoying noise but one I strangely love as the sound always brings back memories of summers passed, as well as letting me know the current summer is here. And this guy - he loves summer.

I actually have a few cicada shots to post in coming days. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gcflora
18-01-2018, 3:54pm
So much free food :th3:

Mary Anne
18-01-2018, 4:03pm
Cicadas not many here, they are not annoying and seen to be a very quite species :nod:
I remember when I lived in Townsville the jolly Frogs out did or out numbered the Cicadas.

Filter
18-01-2018, 5:24pm
We don't get them in masses down here in Sth Vic. I just got back from a photo trip up the east coast to Sydney. I woke one morning to the continuous drone of the cicadas, didn't know what it was to start with. Then they continued for most of the Sth Coast, I thought the only way they could maintain the noise was for them to work in shifts...lol. I hope the noise subsides for you Jim...

Mark L
18-01-2018, 8:27pm
They may be painful if you live close to where they are massed.
First point, if you are complaining you probably live in a place that has some nice tree cover and that's better than concrete.
And I'm amazed how their sound seems to throb. Gets louder and louder and then subsides. Gets louder and louder and suddenly they all stop at once. How do they know how to do that?
An inconvenient wonder of nature.
(I'm hearing my tinnitus and not cicadas ATM)

Bear Dale
19-01-2018, 8:40am
https://australianmuseum.net.au/cicadas-superfamily-cicadoidea

Hawthy
19-01-2018, 9:51pm
Barely a peep (or chirp) and I live on acreage that is mainly bush in Brisbane's western suburbs. Some years they are deafening. Same thing with frogs. I think we might be headed for a dry patch in SE QLD because we had a fair bit of rain around Christmas and I expected the frogs to start up but nothing. I would love to know how animals predict long term weather.

We did find a cicada shell on a verandah post. Not sure if that signifies anything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

enseth
20-01-2018, 8:08am
(I'm hearing my tinnitus and not cicadas ATM)
I can relate to that but nothing like Cicadas to really set it off.