PDA

View Full Version : Shooting in a storm

knumbnutz
03-01-2018, 10:01pm
Just a heads up if you looking to shoot lightning or storm pics, a guy in Adelaide was hit by lightning and his tripod was the main conductor.
http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-03/adelaide-man-antony-van-der-meer-killed-lightning-kings-canyon/9300790?pfmredir=sm

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Mark L
05-01-2018, 9:03pm
So why do people that don't have tripods get killed from lightning? Why aren't more Photogs with tripods killed by lightening?
I doubt something as big as lightning much cares about a tripod. Wrong place at wrong time maybe.

knumbnutz
06-01-2018, 8:58am
Yes and no.
Golfers are another they get struck regularly for the same reason. Electricity will find the path of least resistance.
If the area is open and not so many trees or high objects around then a tripod is going to be a good spot for a bolt to land.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Mark L
09-01-2018, 8:21pm
More people that don't have tripods are killed by lightning than people with tripods. It's a random event. And not many people are killed by lightning in the first place.
On our beaches many more people are killed by rips than sharks. But what get's the more publicity?

Steve Axford
10-01-2018, 2:56pm
More people that don't have tripods are killed by lightning than people with tripods. It's a random event. And not many people are killed by lightning in the first place.
On our beaches many more people are killed by rips than sharks. But what get's the more publicity?
As kn says, a conductor, like a tripod or golf clubs, will just increase your odds of getting struck by lightening. This has been confirmed by the fact that lightening conductors work. A tripod is only a small conductor, but it is still a conductor. How much difference does this really make? Who knows, but it will make a difference. Anyway, it makes for a good story, like sharks, and we don't kill turtles and rays in our haste to net the tripods.