PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade monitor to?

martycon
01-11-2017, 6:57pm
My search technique is poor, so found nothing pertinent, so I am asking the question to people. Most people have one or more, so have experience, and opinion.
I am using a DELL supposedly HD 1080 lines, screen 480mm x 280. When I got it it was a big improvement on what was before. My first preference is 350mm high screen. Second more pixels, lines, I suspect at least 50% more to see a distinct diference. I do not think my skills warrant properly calibrated colour. Budget amount is about $1000.
Alternatively should I look at what is on offer in the market, select a few, and ask about those?
cheers marty

merlin1
01-11-2017, 9:00pm
Martycon,
I have just bought an ASUS PB27UQ Ultra HD 4K. Resolution 3820x2160. Brilliant screen
It was around $860.
The only problem is you need a computer that will drive 4K.

Ross.

J.davis
01-11-2017, 10:13pm
I have the previous version of this. This is about 1200
BenQ PD3200U 4K Cad.

martycon
01-11-2017, 11:12pm
Thank you John, I respect your judgement.
regards marty

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for this advice Ross. I have 8 gig RAM, and 500gig SS HD so I will check Its adequacy, to avoid a subsequent required computer upgrade.
cheers marty.

Cage
02-11-2017, 12:05am
It's your video card you need to check for compatibility Marty.

merlin1
02-11-2017, 3:15pm
Marty, My video card is an NVIDIA G-Force GTX 1050 Ti.

Cost a bit over $300.

Ross.

martycon
02-11-2017, 10:30pm
Thanks Kev, will do.
cheers marty

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Ross good info.
marty.

Cage
02-11-2017, 10:42pm
Marty, your Motherboard will dictate what video card it will handle, and the video card will decide what monitors it is capable of playing with.

martycon
03-11-2017, 10:31pm
I do need a new video card, so thanks Kev. So to be sure of the outcome, I shall decide on a specific monitor but not purchase, till checking with my trusty computer tech that all are compatible.
regards marty

Cage
18-11-2017, 3:05pm
I do need a new video card, so thanks Kev. So to be sure of the outcome, I shall decide on a specific monitor but not purchase, till checking with my trusty computer tech that all are compatible.
regards marty

Well c'mon Marty, you've got a new monitor so give us the details, plus a new GPU (?) etc :confused013

MattNQ
18-11-2017, 8:50pm
Dell Ultrasharp have a good reputation.
I've had a mid-spec 24" for a couple of years.
Can't go too far wrong with Eizo and NEC either.
Below article has a few suggestions

https://photographylife.com/best-monitor-for-photography

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

arthurking83
19-11-2017, 12:35pm
Just a note:

All these Dells, Eizo's ASUS's etc, all use either Samsung, LG or NEC LCD/LED panels(same with Apple's displays) .. so when I think of a new screen .. I think why not just get the monitor from the manufacturer that actually makes the panel for it! ;)

Reason may be software. Some monitor retailers do have 'interesting' software that they bundle with the hardware.

I liked the specs of the Samsung 4K screen I got, they did have 'interesting' software that went with it too .. but I tried it(very quickly) and preferred the software I have been using again.

If you go with a 4K screen, don't just rely on the specs that a graphics card(or chip) can output at 4K .. read the specs carefully. The major issue with cheaper GPUs is that they may be able to do 4K, but only at 30Hz(refresh rates) or so .. which is subpar.
The minimum spec you want to see from any GPU is 4K and 60Hz.

So, some on-board GPUs(ie. graphics chips) can run a 4K screen but possibly only at 30Hz .. don't rely on that to run a 4K screen.

ps. everyone will tell 'ya that 4K is awesome(for detail) and it is! obviously more K's can be better.

Another thing to be mindful of is the colour bit depth that the screen is capable of. Not vital, but more = better. 10bit is about the best you can reasonably get today .. but again there's no point in having a 4K 10 bit monitor if you GPU can't handle that data amount.
I don't know of any on board GPU that can do 4K 60Hz and 10bit colour.

10 bit colour is simply a way to get you better looking and more accurate(in some situations) colours on your screen.
(there are boring tech info about this... but it'd make my reply even more tedious! :D)

Don't be tempted to get a smallish 4K screen either. eg. something like a 24" 4K screen... the 4K resolution on a small screen can make all that detail render too small for a lot of software. And note that many software producers still haven't scaled their software well to 4K screens!

Note : I tested and viewed a few screens and found some good points and bad points about some designs(eg. 24" 4K was far too crowded as a resolution for that size) Of course you can increase font size on the computer, but that defeats the point of having 4K monitor!
I really liked the ultra wide screen type. If I didn't have my old monitor, I'd have chosen that screen type. It's like having two screens side by side. Massively helpful when you have multiple programs or comparative images side by side and don't have a second screen.
In the end I got a normal screen ratio type and reused my old cheapie monitor beside that. Also got a nice quality twin arm monitor stand so that I didn't have to desktop stands cluttering up the desk. They sit nicely floating above the desk on a single non intrusive post.
Obviously had to cut a large hole in the desk to accommodate the stand too .. but all easy to do if you're willing to do stuff like that.

About those ultrawide screens too tho .. I didn't like the curved type. Works of if you always sit at the perfect viewing point, but not so good if you move back (eg. reclining) by a bit(maybe 30cm or so) .. so they really only work well if you only ever sit at the focal point of the curve(or thereabouts).. the flat type ultrawide type works better overall.
(are you going to recycle your current monitor? .. no reason not too if you have the room on your desk to keep it)

Marty, if you tell us your computer specs(ie. what motherboard, if it has a a video card or uses an onboard GPU .. AMD or Intel .. etc)
There are many ways to see all this info, I fond the easiest is to just go into control panel device manager and open each device up individually.
This will help us to advise you if you do need a new video card, or if the one you have(or onboard GPU) will do the job for 'ya.
CPU type speed, and ram and suchlike doesn't really help.
Motherboard model and or info on video card will.

Worst case is that you may need to also cater for the cost a a half decent video card(about $100-150). Unless your a mad keen gamer, you don't need the swishiest graphics card if your usage is typical computery stuff and photography.
AMD/Radeon about low $100's ... nVidia mid $100's(but realistically, high 100's!!)

martycon
19-11-2017, 7:46pm
Thanks Matt, appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

Arthur thank you for your detailed and sage advice. It confirms the advice given by my computer fixit bloke, which reassures me of his competence.
regards marty