PDA

View Full Version : Hello, excited to be here

TheFlash
29-12-2016, 9:48am
Hey everyone,

I'm from Adelaide. I've been not seriously dabbling in photography for years.
My wife and I just had our first child so I thought it might be a good idea to get back into it. I've dusted off my entry level Nikon d40x which has been sitting in the cupboard for a while. I bought an old sb24 speedlight last week, so lots of flash learning ahead. I'm mainly using a 35mm f1.8 lens which is a nice cheap lens to start out with. Being refreshing my skills watching youtube clips. I'm trying to use manual mode as much as possible.
Feelin pretty motivated ATM. Would love to take my photography to the next level.
Obviously taking lots of baby portraits ATM, I've always been keen on street photography.

Can't wait to get involved with this forum.

Thanks.

ameerat42
29-12-2016, 10:52am
Welcome to AP, "Flash".

Look at the learning plan in the Library for our own resources.
--And join in.
An.

TheFlash
29-12-2016, 12:58pm
Welcome to AP, "Flash".

Look at the learning plan in the Library for our own resources.
--And join in.
An.

Thanks definitely will check it out.

Mary Anne
29-12-2016, 1:13pm
Hello and Welcome to AP. And congrats on the new arrival that little one will keep you busy.
Sounds like a good plan so will look forward to seeing what you post on the Forums :2smile:

TheFlash
29-12-2016, 1:24pm
Hello and Welcome to AP. And congrats on the new arrival that little one will keep you busy.
Sounds like a good plan so will look forward to seeing what you post on the Forums :2smile:

Thanks Mary Anne look forward to everyone helping me out

ricktas
29-12-2016, 3:52pm
Welcome to AP. See you and your photos on the forums soon.

TheFlash
29-12-2016, 4:01pm
Welcome to AP. See you and your photos on the forums soon.

Thanks ricktas, I've started reading your new to photography book. Wow very impressive. Can't wait to start posting photos.

Mark L
29-12-2016, 7:53pm
Wonderful username flash, sorry, TheFlash.:)
So you mentioned using manual as much as possible. Not the best way to learn and maintain interest at the start of your photographic journey I'd think. Are you getting many keepers of your young? Yes or no is a good answer.:)
I'd start using aperture priority at ISO 200 and let the camera and flash look after the exposure. Then you have a couple of seconds extra to think about composition.
Welcome aboard. the more you get involved the more we all learn.:th3:

TheFlash
29-12-2016, 8:34pm
Wonderful username flash, sorry, TheFlash.:)
So you mentioned using manual as much as possible. Not the best way to learn and maintain interest at the start of your photographic journey I'd think. Are you getting many keepers of your young? Yes or no is a good answer.:)
I'd start using aperture priority at ISO 200 and let the camera and flash look after the exposure. Then you have a couple of seconds extra to think about composition.
Welcome aboard. the more you get involved the more we all learn.:th3:

Thanks for the reply mate. I used to use aperture priority a lot back in the day so I have a decent understanding of aperture and shutter speed. Looking to take the next step up. Unfortunately the flash I bought can only be used in manual mode with my camera so might take a while for me to get used to. Also need to invest in Lightroom and work on post-processing.

rwg717
29-12-2016, 8:45pm
Hi there and welcome to AP:D
Richard.

TheFlash
30-12-2016, 11:51am
Hi there and welcome to AP:D
Richard.

Hi Richard, look forward to seeing your work.

Mark L
30-12-2016, 6:18pm
Also need to invest in Lightroom and work on post-processing.

Are GIMP and Faststone free options to learn before investing?

TheFlash
30-12-2016, 6:53pm
Are GIMP and Faststone free options to learn before investing?

Great I'll look into them