PDA

View Full Version : Enthusiastic beginner from South Easter suburbs of Melbourne

juskat
26-12-2016, 11:12pm
Hi There,

I joined a few months ago but didn't post anything. So my New Years resolution is to be active on this site and put some shots up for CC.

Being a beginner photographer I am slow at adjusting my settings in manual and get frustrated. I always worry that my subjects will start looking at their watches. Does anyone else ever feel like that?

I have a Canon 70D with a 18-55mm lens and thinking of buying a Canon 1.8 85mm lens as I mostly do natural light portraits indoors and outdoors.

I have a 13 year old son and I love photographing him and his friends. Not to mention Twistie the rescue dog (poodle cross)

ameerat42
26-12-2016, 11:29pm
Welcome back, Juskat. I suppose you mean you haven't posted any pictures - yet.
(http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?147257-Newbie-from-Melbourne&p=1362932#post1362932)
Well, the way AP encourages people to learn is by posting pictures and getting CC.

Else, don't forget, there's the Library.

Why, in no time at all your frustrations will fall away!!!...:nod:

So, no more intros: pics.

ricktas
27-12-2016, 8:26am
Welcome back. Would be good to see some of your photos soon. The best way to learn is to share your photos and get feedback and suggestions for improvement.

Mary Anne
27-12-2016, 8:44am
Hello and Welcome back. If you are not sure about posting photos you will find how to do it Here (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showlibrary.php?title=Indexes:How_Do_I )
I find that getting a free flickr (https://www.flickr.com/) Account is the easiest way to go, and if you need any help do ask.:nod:

Mark L
27-12-2016, 9:52pm
G'day juskat,
if you find a way to get involved here you will learn stuff.
Commenting and asking questions about others photos works. "I like the action there, how did you ...... ." "I'd like to do that, so how did you do that?"

The main thing I get from you intro is you are a beginner and you are using manual mode. Don't do that please. You are trying to learn things before you you understand the things you need to learn. Why not let the camera decide certain things so you can concentrate on the photo you want.
Do you want DOF or faster shutter speed. 13 year old running around TV might be the go. But on the beach from a distance AV mode might work.
P mode is greatly is greatly under-estimated. These semi-auto modes let you choose one thing you want and the camera does the rest.

juskat
01-01-2017, 9:58pm
Thanks Mary Anne. I just posted my first 2 pics in the family phots section before reading this.What is the advantage in having a Flickr account?

ameerat42
01-01-2017, 10:04pm
Juskat. I see you have tried to quote M A's post. You need to click on the button labelled
"Reply With Quote" to do that, otherwise the text appears odd, as in your post above.
(It looks as if you've just highlighted and copied M A's text. That's not enough.)

Since you are still within the hour of posting, you can edit your post and try it again.

If you have trouble, let me know.

Mary Anne
01-01-2017, 11:56pm
Thanks Mary Anne. I just posted my first 2 pics in the family phots section before reading this.What is the advantage in having a Flickr account?

I will go have a look though I am more a wildlife shooter that a People shooter

You can post much larger images from flickr better for us to see and offer CC..
If they are larger than 1200px on the longest side they get resized to that size with a cream bar on the top.
You can click on that Bar then click on the photo to see them at the size you have posted them.