PDA

View Full Version : Why do you take photographs?

Steve Axford
08-11-2016, 1:41pm
Sounds like a simple question, but I suspect that the answer can sometimes be quite complex. I'll tell you why I take photos.
The main reason is communication. It is a way for me to show people what I see. In my case it is showing real things, usually nature, and the attempt is to show those things as they really are. In turn that makes me slow down and really look at what I am photographing, and then read up on what it is, and get in contact with experts in that field.

And then there is the how.
Reality comes in many shades and it is far too complex to show in a simple photograph. For a start, we live in time and a still photo is, well, still. And the camera is imperfect and gives a representation of reality, not reality itself and it is a slightly different reality than our eyes show us. So I have to make decisions as to what shade of reality I show.

There are some things that a camera will do that our eyes cannot. For example: slow shutter speeds allowing the blurring of some components to a greater or lesser extent. Our eyes almost always blur to the same extent.
And some things that a camera can't do that our eyes/brain can. Cameras are limited to about 4,000 times the brightness form the darkest to the lightest pixel. Our eyes/brain can "see" scenes with up to 1,000,000 times. Actually our eyes can only can only measure light differences with a factor of 10 difference between adjacent pixels but our brains can construct the rest by combining images (sort of an in house HDR).
Then there is the way our brain interprets things. Some things that we can easily ignore in a moving scene becomes very obvious in a photo. A gorilla walking across a basketball court may be virtually invisible in a moving picture, but isn't in a still photo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGQmdoK_ZfY . Power lines often aren't a worry in a real scene, but can become intolerable in a still photo. We have to allow for things like this as we compose a photo and that is a challenge, and that becomes part of the attraction as we learn more of how to do it. It becomes an art, even when the aim is for reality. I seem to remember some comment that taking pictures of reality isn't art. I don't agree with that.

Then there are the choices of which reality I choose to show. Perhaps that involves decisions as to what time of day, what lighting, what angle, what instant, what camera, what lens, what settings, etc, etc. There are often almost infinite ways in which a photo of any one thing can be taken and again that is a challenge and a lot of fun. Of course it helps to know what your objective is.

sanger
08-11-2016, 4:29pm
It's fun...gets you outside...can challenge you...keeps the brain ticking over...and so on ?
The DSLR is always my companion on bushwalking, fishing, 4wd trips or whatever.
Once I get home I get into some PP which consists of two buttons...delete or save :)

bcys1961
08-11-2016, 4:51pm
The main reason is communication. It is a way for me to show people what I see. In my case it is showing real things, usually nature, and the attempt is to show those things as they really are. In turn that makes me slow down and really look at what I am photographing, .

For me your first sentence sums it up.

I would add it is my creative outlet , and the buzz of winning the occasional competition helps as well.

Steve Axford
08-11-2016, 5:16pm
Yep. I missed the thrill of producing things that other people admire. I would do it anyway, but the rewards do make a difference.

Cage
08-11-2016, 6:09pm
Every photo tells a story, or provokes a thought.

Even when looking at a very blurred OOF shot I'm looking for what the photographer saw. I'm also wondering whether they may need new glasses or monitor, or just having a bad day. Thought provoking.

How we interpret the story the photo tells is very subjective, and varies greatly.

A photo freezes, and encapsulates, an instant in time. It can never be perfectly recreated. It could be a treasured moment, an awesome sunset/sunrise, or a perfectly formed, spectacularly coloured toadstool, sans fairies, in the forest.

I recently posted this photo in an AP comp. It didn't rate too badly, but I wonder if others saw what I did.

It's three Noisy Miners at a birdbath, one melanistic. One bird is happily bathing while the other 'normal' miner seems to be giving the 'dark' one a strange, 'who are you' look and seems to be wondering if it should be here.

As I said, all photos tell a story, if you look for it.

I like stories, so I take photos.

Steve Axford
08-11-2016, 6:32pm
I guess that the subjectivity is where the art comes in. It is one of challenges of photography to master both the technical and the subjective

Nick Cliff
08-11-2016, 7:39pm
Macro photography of course opens up a whole new expanded knowledge of natures yearly events at undreamt of levels for me compared to when first taking photos as a young kid.

ameerat42
08-11-2016, 7:45pm
Me? It's not primarily for communication, as such. It's just to record something mainly for myself.
And, err-rr! Um-mm!

Yeah. That's about it. So, why persist? Well, yes. There's a sort of enjoyment in the whole process:
sight/event/other >> image/record/...

Sometimes I post the results here like.

That's enuff.

Steve Axford
08-11-2016, 8:24pm
Macro photography of course opens up a whole new expanded knowledge of natures yearly events at undreamt of levels for me compared to when first taking photos as a young kid.
Macro can be a good field for us technically minded people. Good for the discovery side too.

- - - Updated - - -

Me? It's not primarily for communication, as such. It's just to record something mainly for myself.
And, err-rr! Um-mm!

Yeah. That's about it. So, why persist? Well, yes. There's a sort of enjoyment in the whole process:
sight/event/other >> image/record/...

Sometimes I post the results here like.

That's enuff.

I am fascinated with the photographer who took photos in the 50s but never showed anyone the photos. I forget her name but she took wonderful pics. It seemed to be her own way of interpreting the world.

bcys1961
08-11-2016, 8:38pm
Macro can be a good field for us technically minded people. Good for the discovery side too.

- - - Updated - - -

I am fascinated with the photographer who took photos in the 50s but never showed anyone the photos. I forget her name but she took wonderful pics. It seemed to be her own way of interpreting the world.

Vivian Maier

Steve Axford
08-11-2016, 8:49pm
That's her. Such an interesting story. I could never hide my photos from the world, but I can relate to the way photography can help you understand the world, even if nobody sees them. In many cases, not even Vivienne, as she often didn't develop them.

markdphotography
09-11-2016, 12:45pm
Photography is art, art is therapy ........................therefore photography is therapy - well it is for me. Not that I mean therapy in a medical sense but photography is theraeutic for me. It is relaxing, stimulating and for me very creative and enjoyable both pre and post exposure.

I keep doing it because I like the creative thought process and while it is great that others like or admire your work (judges, customers who purchase etc), it is the creation process that I find the most rewarding. Photography for me is a time stealer if stealing time can be a good thing.

Good question Steve - thanks for asking.

markdphotography
10-11-2016, 11:37pm
Saw this today and thought - I knew Steve before he was famous. Well done Steve and now we can all see what you see in 4K video.

aussirose
11-11-2016, 8:24am
I'm with you Mark on this. It's a creative thing for me too. Plus the thrill of taking a top shot. Always trying to get a better one. Bit like travel for me. Something always exciting to see around every corner :)

Nick Cliff
11-11-2016, 8:30am
Bravo Steve, I feel your records of nature will be important for future generations as the world changes.
It is a wonderful reason for photography.

Steve Axford
11-11-2016, 9:02am
Saw this today and thought - I knew Steve before he was famous. Well done Steve and now we can all see what you see in 4K video.

You really know that you've made it when you are featured in the Northern Star :-) Of course Planet Earth 2 adds a bit. I never quite realised how big this would be, but I guess I have to wait until episode 3 airs and I get to appear in the credits - then I see what effect it has.

- - - Updated - - -

Bravo Steve, I feel your records of nature will be important for future generations as the world changes.
It is a wonderful reason for photography.

Thanks Nick. I occasionally get emails from strangers saying that I have inspired them to study mycology or do something else related to nature. That's always nice.

P.S. Here's an amazing sequence from episode 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv9hn4IGofM

Nick Cliff
11-11-2016, 10:07am
Crikey Steve that is incredible footage, you would need nerves of steel to film that footage.
It is wonderful to know your work has made a difference for others:)

Steve Axford
11-11-2016, 10:17am
Wish I'd taken it, Nick. I've never seen anything like it and I can imagine that the people who did get it, whilst they must have planned it, would have been over the moon to actually catch the sequence. It obviously took several cameras and was probably a major production shoot, but still - you get a lot of failures for each sequence like that.

ameerat42
11-11-2016, 10:43am
Yeah, well I looked at that video and it was amazing!!:nod: And then I got distracted by this:

SO WHY DO PEOPLE BAIT BULLS? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ennG7lyBdtw):confused013

Mark L
11-11-2016, 9:18pm
Firstly, Mark D's post shows why I'll be using a monopod and not a tripod as a walking stick in the future.:D
Then I need to congratulate Steve for what the article mentions. :th3:
I'm pretty sure the adulation is not the origins of why Steve takes photos though.
I'm still trying to figure the real reason I take photographs. I just don't know.:confused013
I really like bird's so trying to get out there and take photos of them makes me look at what birds do more. Sometimes getting not so good photos isn't a problem because I was out there looking and finding something different. Nature throws up so many unique things that I would have never seen if I wasn't walking around with a camera.:th3:
Another reason to take photographs is to share with you and some friends things I see that you and they may not have the chance to see so close.:)

Fettator
12-11-2016, 5:18am
Just because :cool: I love it for the sheer fact it is about all I can do now 'cause I am broken :2upset::2upset: but I love showing people what is out there in the wider world.....especially the little things which go un-noticed by the greater population......also it gets me away from my daughter, until she gets her own camera :lol::lol:

yummymummy
12-11-2016, 8:01pm
I like the history. I have always loved looking at my great nanna's family photos, she still has the old original glass plates for some of them! which I find incredible. I love to think that I'm helping families out by taking their photos, to help them to have something to give their next generation and the generation after that. :)
that and I love my camera as much as I love my kids ;)

Steve Axford
13-11-2016, 11:02pm
I'd almost forgotten that side of it, but that has been so important over the last century or so.

DacrimL
02-01-2017, 6:24pm
#1 - Because I can
#2 - Because I enjoy it......it usually takes me to some interesting places for a shot and perhaps some not so savoury places but in the end it is all a record of where I've been and what I've seen. In this respect I can show others who may or may not have the ability or chance to go to some of these places for whatever reason.
#3 - Because if done right by my standards it can be therapeutically relaxing after a stressful day/ week at work.
#4 - Because of the way of the world and its changes, I can look back on an old image and say I was there before the change.
#5 - And finally, because in some instances I find it both mentally challenging and stimulating to achieve a desired result, always with room for improvement.

Mr Felix
02-01-2017, 8:42pm
For what my thoughts are worth:
- It captures history - covered.
- It helps me with CRAFT disease. This maybe comes under history anyway. Nostalgia?
- It can be fun.

I've mucked about a bit too with "macro" stuff. Well, close ups. I got back in to playing with Lego models and there are some great ones once built.
I've put a few up and have taken some more here and there.
The close up ones on models can take you to a "new place" and change perspectives.
With the more expensive lenses you get the "tilt shift" (is it?) and that is fun too. Though I don't have the $$ for that.

I would like to get/try those "infinite focal length" lenses and try the old tricks of people and toy cars, etc. But for now much I would use it (really) and what it would cost, I can't afford them.

Steve,
If you are "interested":
THIS weekend at Evan's head there is the annual get together of people at the airport.
8 and 9 Jan.
I don't know if you are into that or not, but seeing where you live and what is going on this weekend, I thought I would mention it.

olympuse620
02-01-2017, 11:00pm
It is enjoyable. It has to be otherwise why would you lug all that gear around everywhere.

Steve Axford
03-01-2017, 10:32am
Steve,
If you are "interested":
THIS weekend at Evan's head there is the annual get together of people at the airport.
8 and 9 Jan.
I don't know if you are into that or not, but seeing where you live and what is going on this weekend, I thought I would mention it.

Thanks for letting me know, but I think that airshows aren't really my thing. I'm more into nature and I wouldn't know anyone there.

Mark L
03-01-2017, 9:51pm
Thanks for letting me know, but I think that airshows aren't really my thing. I'm more into nature and I wouldn't know anyone there.

Maybe you could go there and talk to strangers and see if you could get them into looking at nature with you. Yeah yeah, that won't work so go and take some other photos to affirm why you like to take photos.

Marietine
04-01-2017, 5:48am
For me photography has always been something I like, and as others said, quite good at it. Now looking back, there are so much better photographers than I will ever be. The photography for me is something for the meditation, spending time with nature, or friends, thinking of something creative.

No matter what, I can't imagine putting the camera away forever, I love the possibility to take a look from a different angle and to be able to show it to others.

ricktas
04-01-2017, 6:42am
For me photography has always been something I like, and as others said, quite good at it. Now looking back, there are so much better photographers than I will ever be. The photography for me is something for the meditation, spending time with nature, or friends, thinking of something creative.

No matter what, I can't imagine putting the camera away forever, I love the possibility to take a look from a different angle and to be able to show it to others.

Looking forward to seeing some of your photography then.

Mark L
05-01-2017, 10:00pm

I tend to agree with Rick above.
Surely you're not satisfied with not showing your photos here. But of cause you share with your friends.:rolleyes:

lenscap
06-01-2017, 3:22pm
I like getting out in nature and the challenge of getting a better photograph than previous ones, especially of birds and macro. Shooting birds with my Canon brings a stillness to my busy life as I have to slow down and wait for the best opportunity.

feathers
06-01-2017, 4:27pm
I like art, and photography is an art form l get a lot of pleasure from, both in the natural and manipulated pics. Cheers.

pgbphotographytas
10-01-2017, 9:02am
In my case it is now just an extension of the rest of my life, if that it taking photos of daughter number 1 doing something funny / cute or photos of radio towers and users for my blog.

Brendo09
10-01-2017, 1:22pm
I take photo's because it's a chance to get out and not focus on everything else that takes up all the minutes in a day. It's just you, a mechanical device that draws light pictures, and whatever you want to draw a picture of.

It's great to take a photo that a loved one likes, though I rarely show my photo's outside here and my wife.

It's nice to be able to see something in something that people walk or drive past everyday and grab a little snippet of beauty in it, and lock it away forever (or until your hard drive gets munted).

I like that I can photograph an animal and show my kids (most of whom love animals) the little intricacies, and the changing colours, and the pores and skin and feathers and hair and facial expressions of the animals that they only see from a distance.

I like that I can take a photo of something that I find beautiful, like a dried lake bed, or a sunset, or a cloud formation. Those things will never be the same as they were at that moment, the light will never be the same as it was that moment, it's a snapshot of time that won't ever be there again.

It's a complex thing. It's a beautiful thing. It's a peaceful thing.

I don't think I've explained that very well. :confused013

feathers
10-01-2017, 1:47pm
I take photo's because it's a chance to get out and not focus on everything else that takes up all the minutes in a day. It's just you, a mechanical device that draws light pictures, and whatever you want to draw a picture of.

It's great to take a photo that a loved one likes, though I rarely show my photo's outside here and my wife.

It's nice to be able to see something in something that people walk or drive past everyday and grab a little snippet of beauty in it, and lock it away forever (or until your hard drive gets munted).

I like that I can photograph an animal and show my kids (most of whom love animals) the little intricacies, and the changing colours, and the pores and skin and feathers and hair and facial expressions of the animals that they only see from a distance.

I like that I can take a photo of something that I find beautiful, like a dried lake bed, or a sunset, or a cloud formation. Those things will never be the same as they were at that moment, the light will never be the same as it was that moment, it's a snapshot of time that won't ever be there again.

Think you explained it very well:nod:

Steve Axford
10-01-2017, 2:34pm

That describes one of my main reasons very well indeed.

Cage
11-01-2017, 5:43pm
I think you've explained your reasons very well Brendo.

It's capturing that moment in time. It will never be exactly the same again.

And Steve, is that your work on David Rabbitburrow's upcoming series ?

Steve Axford
14-01-2017, 9:48am
Yep, that's mine. I couldn't think of a better place to showcase it. It's odd, but first I got "discovered" in Europe, then USA, Russia, China and Japan and now Australia.

Mr Felix
14-01-2017, 10:01am
:)

I guess I can't use the excuse nowadays, but reading some of the replies:

Though some of you say it is a good change to get out and focus on ........ I know a lot of people who take out-of-focus pictures. :lol:

Maybe they just didn't quite understand what was meant by FOCUSING on the subject.

Oh, and as a bit of a dig at myself......
I see when I log in, that sometimes the saying at the top is "its all about the light".
I think it is also all about the TIMING!

Recently I was at the airport about to fly away and took a photo of someone cleaning the windscreen of the jet.
Like those people at the traffic lights who approach you when the lights are red..... "Want your window cleaned?"

TYPICALLY! I was watching him do one side, climb down and start on the other side before I had the idea of taking the picture.
All I got for it was him starting to climb down the stairs.

Not the best picture, but it brings back the memory for me. So I guess that is important, somehow.

I'd include it, but not sure if this is the right place.

Cage
14-01-2017, 11:40am
Yep, that's mine. I couldn't think of a better place to showcase it. It's odd, but first I got "discovered" in Europe, then USA, Russia, China and Japan and now Australia.

We on this forum have known for a long time that your work was special Steve. :nod:

But geez Mate, you have set the bar high for yourself, although I'm sure you are up for the challenge.

ricktas
14-01-2017, 3:27pm
For me.. 'Why do you take photographs'.

The taking of the photographs is secondary for me. Yes I love taking photos, but I love even more, to be alone. To go out by myself and get onto a beach, even before the early morning runners, or dog walkers. Just me and the beach, the waves. Or going up a mountain by myself, or bushwalking to a funghi spot... the places are endless. But I simply like being by myself, away from the noises of humanity. Me, the natural world., and my camera.

Steve Axford
14-01-2017, 4:50pm
For me.. 'Why do you take photographs'.

The taking of the photographs is secondary for me. Yes I love taking photos, but I love even more, to be alone. To go out by myself and get onto a beach, even before the early morning runners, or dog walkers. Just me and the beach, the waves. Or going up a mountain by myself, or bushwalking to a funghi spot... the places are endless. But I simply like being by myself, away from the noises of humanity. Me, the natural world., and my camera.

Another really important reason. I too will often go into the forest and the photography will keep me there, alone and happy for many hours. Any photos are a useful byproduct. This is probably why I don't really like doing a lot of post processing. It's because I don't really like working on a computer.

jim
14-01-2017, 5:47pm
Another really important reason. I too will often go into the forest and the photography will keep me there, alone and happy for many hours. Any photos are a useful byproduct. This is probably why I don't really like doing a lot of post processing. It's because I don't really like working on a computer.

Yeah, same. And Rick's reason works for me too.

Lizzy84
22-01-2017, 9:56pm
I used to take photographs to document life events (Birthdays, Christmas, Family outings etc.) Now I take photos as a creative outlet.

Mark L
23-01-2017, 9:30pm
Now I take photos as a creative outlet.

Is that creative outlet simply observed by you. Where do you share it? Maybe you don't because you don't need to.
Please share the creative here because some of us like to look.:) Possibly that's you with low posting. :confused013
(I'm not being critical, just wondering in a tired state.)

Steve Axford
24-01-2017, 7:38pm
I'd be curious to know if the campaign to get people to post is having the desired effect. It strikes me that it is just as likely to encourage people not to post at all. Now you, Mark, have been very gentle in your approach but it is not always so. If Lizzy looks again, perhaps you could volunteer your opinion?

Mark L
24-01-2017, 8:06pm
Now you, Mark, have been very gentle in your approach but it is not always so. If Lizzy looks again, perhaps you could volunteer your opinion?
I'm guessing you think my opinion was somehow misplaced or something?:confused013

Steve Axford
24-01-2017, 9:25pm
No. We are all entitled to our opinions. I may even agree, in part. It's just the way we go about persuading others to see things the same way that can sometimes be a bit tricky.

Liney
18-02-2017, 2:34pm
I guess I primarily take photos because I see something that I like the look of and want to keep the image. I get the satisfaction of making an accurate representation of the image, and if I feel the need I can manipulate the image I have made (but within reason).

If I take something I like then I tend to use it as the wallpaper on my work computer (until I take another image I like). We have a few photographers in the office, and the rest just take selfies and snaps of the kids. The warm fuzzy feeling is when someone spots the wallpaper and comments, if it's one of the photogs we discuss techniques and lighting, if it's one of the others I usually have to explain what the image is.

nimrodisease
03-03-2017, 9:30pm
I really relate to those who have said they like getting out in nature, the solitude of it and being immersed in your surroundings. Sometimes even the camera is a distraction to that so the photography takes a back seat.

I also like having beautiful photos to look back on and remember the beauty of the world. It gives me more motivation to get back to the wild places when I've spent too long in the city.

I also like having a record of things we have done, places we have been, who we are. I love printing photo books and having something I can hold in my hands and show to people.

MissionMan
03-03-2017, 10:47pm
Sounds like a simple question, but I suspect that the answer can sometimes be quite complex. I'll tell you why I take photos.
The main reason is communication. It is a way for me to show people what I see. In my case it is showing real things, usually nature, and the attempt is to show those things as they really are. In turn that makes me slow down and really look at what I am photographing, and then read up on what it is, and get in contact with experts in that field.

And then there is the how.
Reality comes in many shades and it is far too complex to show in a simple photograph. For a start, we live in time and a still photo is, well, still. And the camera is imperfect and gives a representation of reality, not reality itself and it is a slightly different reality than our eyes show us. So I have to make decisions as to what shade of reality I show.

There are some things that a camera will do that our eyes cannot. For example: slow shutter speeds allowing the blurring of some components to a greater or lesser extent. Our eyes almost always blur to the same extent.
And some things that a camera can't do that our eyes/brain can. Cameras are limited to about 4,000 times the brightness form the darkest to the lightest pixel. Our eyes/brain can "see" scenes with up to 1,000,000 times. Actually our eyes can only can only measure light differences with a factor of 10 difference between adjacent pixels but our brains can construct the rest by combining images (sort of an in house HDR).
Then there is the way our brain interprets things. Some things that we can easily ignore in a moving scene becomes very obvious in a photo. A gorilla walking across a basketball court may be virtually invisible in a moving picture, but isn't in a still photo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGQmdoK_ZfY . Power lines often aren't a worry in a real scene, but can become intolerable in a still photo. We have to allow for things like this as we compose a photo and that is a challenge, and that becomes part of the attraction as we learn more of how to do it. It becomes an art, even when the aim is for reality. I seem to remember some comment that taking pictures of reality isn't art. I don't agree with that.

Then there are the choices of which reality I choose to show. Perhaps that involves decisions as to what time of day, what lighting, what angle, what instant, what camera, what lens, what settings, etc, etc. There are often almost infinite ways in which a photo of any one thing can be taken and again that is a challenge and a lot of fun. Of course it helps to know what your objective is.

Because I'm a crap painter...

Steve Axford
04-03-2017, 8:46am
Fascinating! What else can't you do?