PDA

View Full Version : Just another newbie from NSW

ten2six
22-09-2016, 10:26am
Hi everyone. I am from south coast NSW and completely new to photography. I don't even have a camera yet!. I was going to buy a proper camera for me and my wife and as I was reading and trying to decide which camera to buy, I stumbled upon this forum. So much information here in a nice layout. Library FTW! Great job guys! Anyway I am hoping to learn more as I go along. I am already excited!

As for which camera to buy, I am decided on getting an entry level mirrorless kit for now. DSLR's are too big and heavy to lug around. I am looking at the Olympus EM10 but i haven't seen it personally. I am going to the local store to check it out. Thanks all.

ameerat42
22-09-2016, 10:28am
Welcome aboard, 10-2-6.

Let us know how you go. There'll be plenty of help here.

ricktas
22-09-2016, 10:29am
Welcome aboard, see you on the forums soon. Oly make great gear so you cannot go wrong.

ten2six
22-09-2016, 10:33am
Thanks for the quick welcome posts. For a while there, I thought you are set on auto replies on introduction threads. LOL.

ameerat42
22-09-2016, 10:38am
What do you mean? That was a recording:D

ten2six
22-09-2016, 10:40am
Well if it was, you got a good script going.. changing ten2six to 10-2-6 automatically. :D

Mary Anne
22-09-2016, 11:08am
Hello and Welcome to AP.. A few Members have the EM-10 so you should get plenty of help here.
I have the E-M1+ 12-40mm f/2.8 lens a great little camera all depends what lens you buy for the weight.
If you buy the better quality lens they are heavier and take better images in the hands of the right person.
Best of luck with whatever you choose to buy..

And No the Welcome posts are not Auto.. We take the time to type them ourselves :nod:

ten2six
22-09-2016, 9:03pm
Thanks Mary Anne. I am considering a used EM1 too. It has wifi I think unlike the EM5. The wife will probably like transferring photos directly from the camera to the phone. But then it's a bit bigger and heavier too. And I see good deals on camera bodies only. I wouldn't have a clue what lens i will get if I buy a camera body only.

Mark L
22-09-2016, 9:53pm
For a while there, I thought you are set on auto replies on introduction threads. LOL.
They've fooled you then and I still don't know how it's done.:(:)
Don't be afraid to make comments on others photos as you get into this photography thing. It can actually help you with your photos.
"Really like ...... because ......." "that's interesting and wonder why you did ...."

30 years ago I used to buy fish and chips at Warrawong. If we wanted "Chinese" food we'd go to a Dapto pub.

bitsnpieces
25-09-2016, 10:55am
Hi and welcome to AP :)

Regarding lenses, think of it this way - what sort of photos do you plan on doing? Is is specific? Professional? Or a capture for the memory sort of deal?

Then based on that, look at the lenses available from Panasonic, Olympus, Sony, Fuji, etc, brands that provide small cameras (as you somewhat mentioned about weight, I presume that'll be a factor in choosing a camera)

Then go on features you'd like, wifi, gps, nfc, etc

From there, you'll have narrowed your choice down to the right camera that will provide the functionality you want, and the lens you'll use with it.

Of course, as we learn photography, we start finding new styles and new interests, but by then, you'll probably have more lenses to choice from so no need to worry now about specifics

ten2six
25-09-2016, 6:44pm
Thanks bitsnpieces. The thing is I don't know yet what photos I want to take. Bit of everything at first I guess. And my wife is going to use it too so we'll probably be getting an em10 with the pancake lens. We had a good look at it and we both like it. I am not sure if the difference in price is worth it between mark 1 and mark 2 coming from complete newbie. Waiting for good deals now on mark 2 or maybe just get the mark 1 if I can't wait anymore. :cool:

sophie
26-09-2016, 6:03pm
Hi everyone. Also a newbie here from Sydney. Got a 350D in Feb for the birthday but it is my HSC year so haven't been able to invest much time into it. I'm trying to learn some things about astrophotography but feel I might be limited by my lenses (only have the kit and nifty fifty) and possibly the age of the body. Any tips would be much appreciated. Thanks!

ricktas
26-09-2016, 6:14pm
Welcome to AP Sophie. Enjoy the site, join in. Hope the study goes well for you, especially with exams etc over the next couple of months.