PDA

View Full Version : New pc time

Sargee225
27-08-2016, 10:49pm
Laptop just died so looking to upgrade and get a decent computer, mainly used for Photoshop.
Was looking at laptops but now leaning towards desktops, after reading a few posts I'm starting to think custom built. I just need a bit of advice on what it needs to run without being sluggish (Google seems to give older recommendations) also have no idea on monitors.

budget is around $2500

thanks in advance

Fettator
28-08-2016, 5:16am
I got one from jb hifi for around $2000. Base model. nothing special. I run photoshop and lightroom. Have no issues with running either program.

GB

Warbler
28-08-2016, 7:18am
Lots of RAM (16gb or more), a 2GB or larger video card, a fast scratch disc like an SSD and the rest will look after itself.

Sargee225
28-08-2016, 9:11am
Was thinking something along the lines of

16gig ram
512gig SSD
2TB HDD

unsure on graphics card
unsure on processor, thinking i5

thats ts all I can think of this early in the morning but there is probably more. Do I need anything extra if I was going to use dual monitors at a later stage?
any suggestions on monitors?
kind of steering away from full HD after reading about the wqxga monitors, just unsure of what ones are good

Hawthy
28-08-2016, 3:20pm
Here are the system requirements to run Photoshop CC 2015 https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/system-requirements.html

I am running Photoshop CC on a system with 4 GB of RAM and an i3 processor. I have also dedicated a 16 GB SD Card to ReadyBoost, which is a cheap way to get more from your RAM. It really helps. Here is an article explaining ReadyBoost: http://www.techrepublic.com/article/is-readyboost-still-an-effective-tool-in-windows-10/

JJM
29-08-2016, 8:14am
Build a decent system and you will get 5-7 years out of it, I'm still using a machine I build 5 years ago and it is still better than most pre build computers from retailers.....

CPU = Intel I7 6700K CPU = $450
CPU COOLER = Corsair H80i or similar depending on your case = $150
MOTHERBOARD = Any Z170 Chipset Motherboard with DDR4 = $200 - $300
MEMORY = 32GB of DDR4 RAM = $200 - $300 (RAM is Cheap these days go for 32GB)
POWER SUPPLY = 550W Bronze Cert should be suitable = $125
GRAPHICS = NVIDIA Geforce GTX950 or better = $250 and up
SSD = Samsung 1TB MZ-75E1TOBW-EVO = $400
HDD = Western Digital 4TB Black = $275
CASE = Personal Choice = $100?
WINDOWS = Windows Operating System = $200

TOTAL $2350 (Under budget excluding monitor, keyboard, mouse, CD/DVD Drive etc)

You shouldn't be charged any more than $50 to have something like the above built. Pricing above is from a supplier I use.

Mary Anne
29-08-2016, 3:34pm
I have a Dell U2713HM Monitor getting on to 3 years old now and a great investment at that time the 27" screen and everything else was fantastic after the 23/24" ? different brand I used to have.
Of course things have changed since then so have a look on their site for the latest models if interested, and a must is Calibration software.
Some Members here have the Dell P2715Q Monitor though that one could be out of your budget ? I got my computer built to what I wanted almost 4 years ago the monitor came 15months later
There are more expensive Brand Monitors like Eizo out there, and cheaper ones so do have a good look around and research them all, and checkout their reviews.

Cage
29-08-2016, 7:16pm
Yep, you have your thinking cap on straight. IMHO, desktop is the way to go.

Stay right away from the Dells, the HP's etc.

Have a look at this one .... http://www.scorptec.com.au/systems/scorptec/25/349. All quality components and it will do your PP on it's ear and leave you with a tidy amount of change for a good IPS monitor. And my comment on Dell doesn't apply to their monitors. I currently have one of their 25" Ultra Sharp monitors and love it.

Sargee225
30-08-2016, 6:42pm
Thanks

Have ordered the desktop, currently getting built

cost around the $1500 mark

i5-6600
32gig RAM ( 2x16gig so can upgrade down the track if needed)
500gig SSD
2tb hard disk (7200rpm)
gtx950-2g graphics card
windows 10
external usb3.0 SD card reader

Monitor ordered today

$699

Dell u2715h
27" ips 2k

Dell refused to price match so went to one of there official suppliers and they were happy to Order it in for me cheaper than dell would supply it

Cage
30-08-2016, 7:25pm
Looks like it has all the right bits.

:crossed: the mob you are getting it from do a good assembly.

arthurking83
31-08-2016, 12:06am
I was going to suggest .. start with the monitor too! :th3:
Good to see you started right.
I'd also suggest forget intel based systems, as an AMD system will save a few $s that can be better used on better stuff.

EXCEPT if household electricity bills factor highly in your overall requirements list!

AMD CPUs use a lot more power for the same processing ability compared to Intels!

I did a lot of searching, but wasn't sure if a GTX950 could run two monitors with one of them being at 4k(or more).
Found some threads in some motherboard forums where some guys suggested that the GTX960 could, so I went with a GTX960 instead.
I didn't want to spend the extra $s where I don't need too, but sometimes it better to spend a bit more now, than to have to rebuy it all again later.

ps. don't fully discount the actual ability of a 4K screen too! .. especially if you're heavily into photography.

My preference is for the cheapest parts that simply do the job.

And don't skimp on the actual box and or PSU.
if you can stretch it, look for a Platinum rated PSU with modular connectors.

I have a Corsair HX850, but I have 5 HDDs to power too tho.
For the system you describe there, even their lowest powered Platinum series PSU is their 750w Hx750.
The way I look at it is, I don't want the PSU to heat up at all, thus negating the need for it's fan to activate.
While the fan is very quiet anyhow, the main point being it's totally unstressed! .. longer life .. etc.

What bugs me more than anything with my current desktop(now over 10 years old) is the fan noise.
The very badly(cheap) designed case has three fans. The noise isn't that loud .. just annoying that there is any. So that's the final item on the 'wish list'
That's my major reasoning for my upgrade soon too.
I'm not rushed, as I have yet to figure out what to do with this old PC before I do upgrade it.

I'll probably stick with an AMD + Asrock mainboard and some RAM(probably 32G too), Win10 and a good quality quiet case.

Sargee225
10-09-2016, 12:25pm
Computer and monitor are great. Only bad thing is no onboard wifi. I thought it would be a standard thing on every computer these days but it's not. Didn't even get asked if I needed it either

Warbler
10-09-2016, 3:32pm
You'll probably have wi-fi on your modem/router.

arthurking83
11-09-2016, 7:50am
You'll probably have wi-fi on your modem/router.

But that doesn't help the OP get Wifi to the PC tho! ;)

Computer and monitor are great. Only bad thing is no onboard wifi. I thought it would be a standard thing on every computer these days but it's not. Didn't even get asked if I needed it either

Not a problem, and probably better that it didn't.
99% of onboard wifi radios will be of the cheapest crappiest types. You can get some nice wifi chips on some motherboards, but it's not common.

Get yourself a higher quality PCI card type, and enjoy the speed!
But! .. as a counterpoint don't waste money in getting the best either.
You need to work out how fast your internet connection is, and how much bandwidth your router/modem allows too. Also, if you have multiple other devices on Wifi, then they all add up to slow down the bandwidth to the individual devices too.

If cabling the PC to the router isn't hard, it's generally better to stick with that.

Warbler
11-09-2016, 8:58am
But that doesn't help the OP get Wifi to the PC tho! ;)

It does if he sets up a home network ;)

- - - Updated - - -

If he just wants to set up a wi-fi connection to his input devices, then it won't help much, but my PC has no on-board wi-fi and my home network means all my devices share wi-fit via the modem/router's wi-fi. That includes phones, printers, Chrome cast, and WD My Cloud servers. The PC is connected to the modem by an ethernet cable though.

arthurking83
11-09-2016, 3:57pm
..... but my PC has no on-board wi-fi and my home network means all my devices share wi-fit via the modem/router's wi-fi. .....

Of course that's obvious, I do same!

BUT .. my understanding of the OP's comment re no built in wifi, was that he wanted to connect the PC to the network via wifi, as opposed to connecting it via a wire to the network!