PDA

View Full Version : Tell Me About Cairns...?

ameerat42
25-07-2016, 9:32am
Things to do in 7 full days there, with own transport at disposal, suit 4 keen travellers.

Alas, or not, the road trip has been turned into a flight, BUT the time around C has been extended from 4 to 7 days:D

So I am aware of the "usual attractions", but I am looking for some "other" things to see and do thereabouts.
Like those lava tubes mentioned in a recent thread. Only thing is, hire vehicle has restrictions - nothing off-road,.
Also, staying in Cairns itself, but long day-trips are certainly an option.:nod:

I would be V pl:)ased to hear your suggestions.

Ta.
Am.

- - - Updated - - -

W:o:oPS! Just realised this is my 2nd thread about this.
(Also here: http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?146953-Thinking-Of-Going-To-The-GBR )
I have been combing the info there too, and ta to respondents. Pls add anything new in this thread.

MattNQ
25-07-2016, 10:07am
Head up to the tablelands (atherton, mareeba etc) if you like waterfalls :D

http://blog.tropicalnorthqueensland.org.au/chasing-waterfalls-on-the-atherton-tablelands/

ameerat42
25-07-2016, 10:09am
Ta Matt. Checking it out...

Grant S
25-07-2016, 12:29pm
Lots of nice rolling hills on the southern Atherton Tablelands with some really good farmland and views of the coast. There's also the Curtain Fig tree and some really good rainforest locations up there as well. Daintree and Cape Tribulation is a longish day trip north for crocs and more rainforest and you get to go through Port Douglass which has some really nice locations/views both coastal and cultural. Crystal Cascades is almost directly west of Cairns,up Redlynch Intake Rd for more waterfalls and nearby Morris Lake.

ameerat42
25-07-2016, 12:34pm
Ta Grant.

mudman
25-07-2016, 1:16pm
green island off the coast
fishing trips to the reef

MattNQ
25-07-2016, 2:08pm
Had a few more ideas Am,

Depending on how much time you have, Ravenshoe, Herberton, Innot Hot Springs are interesting.
The road to Irvinebank used to be dirt some of the way, so may not be suitable.

http://www.athertontablelands.com.au/where-to-go/ravenshoe-innot-hot-springs-mt-garnet/

http://www.athertontablelands.com.au/where-to-go/herberton-irvinebank/

http://www.historicvillageherberton.com.au/

If you like good coffee, Mareeba might be for you

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attractions-g499671-Activities-Mareeba_Queensland.html

Also one place I have been itching to visit but never managed to time it right it is the Beck Museum between Mareeba & Atherton. The largest privately owned military & aviation museum in Oz.
I think it is only open on weekends according to their facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/The-Beck-Museum-132862393451374/

Glenda
26-07-2016, 5:48am
Atherton Tablelands is a beautiful area with lots to see.

Undara Lava Tubes is a fair drive from Cairns but no off road involved.
http://undara.com.au/getting-to-undara/packages/self-drive-1-night/ Although in a national park you can only go on guided tours into the lava tubes.

JJM
26-07-2016, 8:05am
Some of these may or may not be on your list.

Karanda, my suggestion is take the train up and the skyrail down and give yourself plenty of time in Karanda.

Mossman gorge, there is some long walking tracks but it's beautiful and worthwhile.

Port Douglas, in my opinion has some of the best restaurants in the country. Personal favourites of mine are Nautilus, On the Inlet, Zinc. The beach is beautiful and if you enjoy golf there is a couple of great courses.

Daintree/Cape Tribulation, our last trip was straight up to Cape Trib and then back to Cow Bay, lunch at the Cow bay hotel, then back to the Daintree doing the rainforest skywalk. The Daintree village before the ferry isn't really worth the detour in my opinion.

Great barrier reef, depending on your personal requirements there is a few different options. Either the outer barrier reef or an Island that is a bit closer to the mainland. Our last trip our we went to Low Isle off Port Douglas on a small sailing catamaran with about 20-30 others and having done about a dozen different trips to the reef over the last 10/15 years I rated this trip as one of the best.

Cooktown is to far for a day trip and is unsealed roads so probably not an option for you.

MattNQ
26-07-2016, 10:18am
Cooktown is to far for a day trip and is unsealed roads so probably not an option for you.

Cairns - Cooktown is all sealed now via Lakeland. But yes, maybe a bit far for a day trip.
Feathers can probably give you current driving times.
Black Mountain is a must see if you do head up that way. Strange place.

ameerat42
26-07-2016, 11:19am
Ta muchfully, Jeremy and Matt. All offerings welcome and being considered.

(Much better than my own ideas of a few days back:rolleyes:)

JJM
26-07-2016, 11:22am
Cairns - Cooktown is all sealed now via Lakeland. But yes, maybe a bit far for a day trip.

Ah thanks for the correction Matt, was unaware of that. :th3:

feathers
26-07-2016, 12:00pm
About four, to four and a half hours drive from cains to ck/twn on inland road.
Road is sealed all the way from wujal wujal to ck/twn, but not from the end of daintree to wujal wujal, on coastal road.
As MattNQ mentioned, Black mountain worth a look. Also the lions den pub a few k's turn off from inland road.
The little annan river. Grassy hill lookout in ck/twn itself. Watch out for cattle and roos, especially around twilight time.

ameerat42
26-07-2016, 12:54pm
Feavvers. Meetcher half way:D

feathers
26-07-2016, 2:44pm
Errr,....yeah..that makes sence:D

phild
26-07-2016, 3:35pm
+1 for Green island, if you don't mind getting wet, spending a few hours snorkelling is rewarding. I spent half an hour within a couple of metres of a sea turtle watching it feed and swam with giant Trevally within 50 of metres of the beach. lots of life in and around the rock outcrops as well.
If you have one, take a GoPro.

bricat
26-07-2016, 11:50pm
Out near the Airport (opposite) was a walking track. I think it was a bit over an hour return uphill part of the way with a loop near the top, we came across one of those big birds(cassowary) in the wild. Not sure if it is still there but it was not a very touristy spot. i don,t mean the boardwalk near the airport. Townsville is not far!!!!! Cheers Brian

Cargo
09-08-2016, 5:51am
Hi Am,

Just found this thread so hope I'm not to late ;) There are a couple of places and things to do right in Cairns ....
The Botanic Gardens & Centenary Lakes are wonderful places if your so inclined ... Both places great for photographers too.
A stroll along the Esplanade & the marina is also full of interesting things, people, boats big and small .... The Esplanade is home to many water birds too, the birdwatchers seem to love it.
Another place to visit is Coperlode Dam, it sits up in the hills behind Cairns so plenty of good views on the drive up through the rainforest.
Palm Cove & Trinity Beach for a bit of high end touristy stuff :D But they have beautiful palm fringed beaches and some great restaurants & Palm Cove has the most magnificent Paperbark trees I have ever seen.
Depending on when your are here there are also some great markets to visit, if you like markets of course ;)

Hope that helps a bit
Cargo

Mark L
09-08-2016, 7:52pm
Just found this thread so hope I'm not to late ;) There are a couple of places and things to do right in Cairns ....

Think you're to late and you forgot to mention booking a visit to meet the amazing Cargo (hang on, it was AM asking, so I understand the omission :D))

Cargo
10-08-2016, 10:51am
Think you're to late and you forgot to mention booking a visit to meet the amazing Cargo (hang on, it was AM asking, so I understand the omission :D))

Buggar !!
And thank-you for your kind words Mark ....
It's hard work being amazing and you rarely get any recognition for said amazingness. That being said, I'm usually booked out for many months in advance anyway, particularly now that I have had to use my amazingness to help sort out some failed Tour Company !!!
The things we do hey :p

Mark L
10-08-2016, 7:09pm
The things we do
can be amazing. Keep it up.:th3:

ameerat42
10-08-2016, 7:22pm
True words, indeed.

Thanks for that advice, Cargo, and I am MOST PLEASED to be able to report that I did everything that you
suggested anyway. My impressions are in 100% concurrence with your advice:nod:

HAD I KNOWN that you lived there (OK, so I'm not very observant sometimes) I would have taken Mark's advice too.

To all who replied - a big TA.

There's only ONE thing that I am STILL uncertain of: The reef appeared rather grey and monochrome, but NOT "bleached"
as such. It did NOT look like what you see in the brochures, which view is solidly pushed, however. Can anyone tell me how
it is "supposed" to look? I will post up some pics later (OK, only jpegs from a P&S, but they still show it).

I @ M
10-08-2016, 7:32pm
Am, are you still there?

Last time I was in Cairns they did a very good pizza and cheap Coronas at the pub that used to be the courthouse in the centre of town ------- :nod:

Hawthy
10-08-2016, 7:46pm
The Rattle & Hum under the backpackers on the Esplanade does a great wood-fired pizza and serves various cold beers. The Courthouse Hotel has a good beer garden but i haven't tried their pizza. I am back up there for work at the end of the month so I might give the Courthouse a go.:nod:

ameerat42
10-08-2016, 8:07pm
Ta guys. I'm now "back", so they will have to be for "necks" time:D