PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

sliderphil
07-05-2016, 10:42pm
Hi guys and gals,

New to the site. I'm a diesel mechanic from the Wimmera region of central Victoria that's always been into photography.

I started around many years ago back when I was living in Perth and got to the point where I had a real nice camera and some good glass and was out and about shooting everything and everyone. Ended up doing a couple of weddings and then I moved back home to Victoria and decided to have a career change and start an apprenticeship.

I ended up selling most of my camera gear, which of course I ended up regretting but the bug bit a couple of years back when I finished my training and I've now got a new DSLR and some good glass and I'm shooting again with a fresh outlook.

These days I'm mostly taking pictures of my family and the occasional landscape but I've been more and more interested in branching out and trying new things.

My mistake way back when was jumping in too quickly and overwhelming myself. When I lived in Perth I bought all the fancy gear. From a bunch of L lenses to off camera strobes with radio transmitters, I thought it would make me the best photographer around. Of course I got some great photos but I never properly utilised all my stuff and became disheartened by what others could achieve with a simpler kit.

These days I have one camera and two lenses. A second hand 1D mark 3 I picked up cheap, a Sigma 85mm F1.4 and a Canon 17-40L with a few different screw on filters. I'm taking pictures I'm much happier with and learning more about composition and lighting than I ever did with all the gear I had before. I've just invested in a couple of speedlights and I'm looking forward to getting back into flash and seeing what I can come up with!

I look forward to rummaging through the forums and seeing what's up!

Cheers
Phil

ricktas
08-05-2016, 6:57am
Hi Phil,

Welcome to AP. Looking forward to seeing some of your photos soon.

Mark L
08-05-2016, 7:43pm
G'day Phil, welcome to a good place to play.
Reckon your intro has some good advice for others (that won't read your intro ;))
Plenty to learn here and plenty of chances to help other also.
Pretty friendly place here so don't be afraid to ask questions, make comments and generally get involved. Makes forums work.:th3:

These days I'm mostly taking pictures of my family and the occasional landscape but I've been more and more interested in branching out and trying new things.

l
Don't start looking at birds and thinking you get some photos of them. It's not the branching out you need. ( I'll give you a good deal on my 120-400 lens if you want it :D))

Mary Anne
09-05-2016, 12:27pm
Hello Phil and Welcome to AP.. You have some good gear there so will look forward to seeing what you post on the Forums.

Fedgrub
09-05-2016, 6:21pm
Welcome, looking forward to seeing your stuff!