PDA

View Full Version : About Me

Don Barton
01-03-2016, 8:42pm
I became serious about photography rather late in life; but I've discovered it's never too late to learn new skills. I could argue that capturing images is in my DNA.
I remember as a young pre-school lad going on excursions with my father to take photos of construction sites. When first married, my dad earned a meager income working in a photography studio where he learned chemical photo processing in dark-rooms. He then graduated to doing studio photography. And he even taught photography in night school.

His first camera purchase was a Graphlex 22, "America's favorite twin-lens camera". From there he moved on to freelance work and graduated to the large professional format 4x5 Super-D Graflex with which he produced stunning black and white photos. I used to help him develop these in his home darkroom.

I always wanted to take photos that had the impact of those I remember my dad taking. Over the years, I must have purchased over a dozen cameras. But alas, I never came close. Looking back, I now realise that I was basically a 'point and shoot' guy, always relying on the auto-capture button. The results were bland and boring.

Due to a change in circumstances, a few years ago, I found myself with a lot of spare time on my hands. So I decided to get serious about my innate photography interest. I purchase a high quality Canon 5D Mark II DSLR camera with some good Canon lens. I started reading and attending (via the Internet) a number of basic photography courses. I was hooked, the results I started to achieve were pleasing - to me at least. I have since replaced my 5D Mark II with a Canon 5D Mark III and have added a Sony Alpha 6000 mirrorless camera to my artillery.

As time progressed I discover I was actually beginning to understand the photography process, both pre and post capture. So this site is intended to journal this progress. At first I watermarked my photos, but I came to realise this was my ego controlling my brain. Since I'm not a professional, and do not sell my work, I really don't mind if people use my photos (as long as they acknowledge the source).

I have created a photo website on SmugMug here that shows my past work. www.dpb-photos.com (http://www.dpb-photos.com)

ameerat42
01-03-2016, 8:50pm
Welcome to AP, Don. I had a look at your galleries. I think you're past Intermediate level in experience.
Join in and enjoy the place.
Am.

PS: I just find the font size you have selected somewhat small. Any chance you can increase the size a tad?
Ta.

ricktas
01-03-2016, 9:03pm
Welcome and I agree with Am. We have upgraded you to advanced.

Don Barton
01-03-2016, 9:08pm
Thanks, Am. I fixed the font issue. Please direct me to help on uploading photos.

ameerat42
01-03-2016, 9:13pm
Ta Don. That's now heaps better to read.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, displaying photos...
Library - How Do I... - from point 2 onwards.
http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showlibrary.php?title=Indexes:How_Do_I

You have a choice of ATTACHING them to a post by UPloading to AP here, OR
linking to the images you have in your Smugmug galleries.

Linking will at least save any re-sizing that might be required for direct attaching here.

Don Barton
01-03-2016, 9:17pm
Got it. Do you want EXIF info added?

ameerat42
01-03-2016, 9:21pm
That is always preferable, as it saves having to ask.

...And can you make it "to go". Thanks :D

- - - Updated - - -

PS: Make sure you pick the right forum to post in, like Places - Land and Seascapes.

Mark L
01-03-2016, 10:07pm
Good story Don.
Welcome aboard. Forums work via involvement so hope you get involved in whatever way you see fit.
Time to start taking more photos of birds though.:D;)

Mary Anne
01-03-2016, 10:28pm
Hello Don and Welcome to AP.

bitsnpieces
03-03-2016, 3:06am
Hello Don and welcome to AP
Quite a history there

Warren Ackary
08-03-2016, 11:08am
Welcome aboard, best forum to learn and get help from.. enjoy

Don Barton
08-03-2016, 7:45pm