PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Captive Animals.......with a camera!

outstar79
12-02-2016, 11:26pm
Hi everyone!

For those interested I have created a blog/tutorial on photographing captive animals.
Whether you're looking to improve taking portraits of animals in zoos and ultimately in the wild we may learn at least something (maybe) from this post :D
I've written this detailing my experience experimenting shooting captive animals in varying situations and lighting and enclosures!

I hope you enjoy the read and the images!

- Adam

http://adamjbricephotography.zenfolio.com/blog/2016/2/shooting-captive-animals-with-a-camera

Mary Anne
13-02-2016, 4:53pm
That is terrific Adam so much info and wonderful images I have bookmarked it and :wd:

Glenda
13-02-2016, 5:38pm
Excellent article and some amazing photos. Wish we had a decent zoo close to here.

Allie
13-02-2016, 6:12pm
Thank you Adam lots of great advice and excellent examples with your photos too! :wd:

outstar79
13-02-2016, 10:11pm
That is terrific Adam so much info and wonderful images I have bookmarked it and :wd:

Thanks Mary Anne, I hope I can impart at least something to someone :) Glad you liked it! :th3:

- - - Updated - - -

Excellent article and some amazing photos. Wish we had a decent zoo close to here.

Thank you, glad you liked it!
Yeah zoos are great, even small animal parks - it certainly helps loving animals when photographing them :)

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you Adam lots of great advice and excellent examples with your photos too! :wd:

You're very welcome and thank you for the kind words! :th3:

salnel
14-02-2016, 7:58pm
Thanks, Adam..very useful info and terrific photos to go with it.

outstar79
16-02-2016, 12:45pm
Thanks, Adam..very useful info and terrific photos to go with it.

You're welcome - hopefully people do find it useful :)

Babu
18-02-2016, 1:19am
I enjoyed your blog/ tutorial. It tapped into some of the problems I have encountered whilst trying to capture images of captive animals. Sometimes I've found the density of the mesh has made it almost impossible to focus on the animal but I have managed to get some stunning images at zoos through angles, timing and persistence. Congratulations on your strategies to succeed with these images. I have photographed animals all around the world and have found that every environment presents its own problems for photos. I agree that pre-shoot analysis and preparation sure do help to minimize disappointments on the day.

outstar79
02-03-2016, 11:15am
I enjoyed your blog/ tutorial. It tapped into some of the problems I have encountered whilst trying to capture images of captive animals. Sometimes I've found the density of the mesh has made it almost impossible to focus on the animal but I have managed to get some stunning images at zoos through angles, timing and persistence. Congratulations on your strategies to succeed with these images. I have photographed animals all around the world and have found that every environment presents its own problems for photos. I agree that pre-shoot analysis and preparation sure do help to minimize disappointments on the day.

Cheers mate - exactly - mesh density really dictates whether a shot is actually even possible, and patience and planning is definitely key :) I can only hope that we all can share what we learn, tips/tricks, best times at what zoo, processing, etc :cool: