PDA

View Full Version : The Melbourne Cup 2015, a lump in the throat moment

Cage
03-11-2015, 3:37pm
Well if that didn't give you a tear in the eye, or at least a lump in the throat, you, my friend, have no soul.

What a great feel-good moment. What a delight to see that lovely, smiling, disbelieving young lady become the first fem to ride the cup winner.

Well done ! :wd:

ameerat42
03-11-2015, 3:45pm
You are right, Kev!

It was a spectacle, and a feel-good moment at the end.

--And what about the cinematography!!!

Furthermore, this is from a feller who doesn't foller this sorta stuff much.

(Imagine how Mark L must be feeling at this time!:efelant::party7::sport18::party6:)<- a line-up of Mark-look-alikes.

NikonNellie
03-11-2015, 4:32pm
I have to say I had a tear in my eye - what an historic moment. I didn't care that the horses I had in a sweep or my $1 each way bet didn't win.
I also loved the reaction from her brother who has Down's Syndrome - he was very proud of her both as a brother and as the strapper.
Well done Michelle!!:wd::2appla:

Kym
03-11-2015, 4:41pm
If there was a movie based on this 'script' (hmm there was... National Velvet (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Velvet_%28film%29)) everyone would think it unreal, schmaltsy, emotional, and a tear jerker.

But when it's real? FANTASTIC

Cricket
03-11-2015, 4:41pm
Michelle you Go Girl!!!! :wd::banana:

Cage
03-11-2015, 4:59pm
If there was a movie based on this 'script' (hmm there was... National Velvet (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Velvet_%28film%29)) everyone would think it unreal, schmaltsy, emotional, and a tear jerker.

But when it's real? FANTASTIC

Kym, it's funny you say that because I immediately thought after the race that if ever an event had 'Movie' stamped all over it, today's Cup does.

Steve Axford
03-11-2015, 5:29pm
I love her quote "I want to say to everyone else, get stuffed, because women can do anything and we can beat the world."

It's a great day for racing - and more than just racing.

ricktas
03-11-2015, 8:15pm
Oops. I have missed all of this. Even forgot the cup was on! Looks like I need to go find out what happened. Generally though I tend to ignore things that involve gambling.

Hawthy
03-11-2015, 10:17pm
It brought a tear to my eye. Particularly the "get stuffed" bit. It must throw some people from the left into a quandary. "Do I celebrate this as a great moment in the emancipation of women, or do I denounce this as mistreatment of animals?"

Hawthy
03-11-2015, 10:18pm
oops. delete this please administrators.

Mark L
03-11-2015, 10:47pm
The horse cost $50 000, that's a bargain these days. It has had injury problems.
The jockey has ridden it in must of it's race starts and track work. She told the trainer (who has done the hard yards in country Victoria to become the leading trainer of winners down there) early in the horses career that it could win the Melbourne Cup.
She lives with and looks after her brother, which adds to the story.

The only thing that's not wonderful is I backed the horse that came sixth.:)

bricat
05-11-2015, 7:52am
Who won?

Cage
05-11-2015, 11:27am
Who won?

A young lady named Michelle Payne, and every woman who's come up against the lingering elements of male chauvinism in our society.