PDA

View Full Version : Purchase a print of mine

Wayno
05-10-2015, 7:57pm
Hello,
I entered a few photos in this years Perth Royal Show photographic competition.
I've just received an email from the event coordinator saying that a member of the public would like to purchase a print of mine that was on display.
I'm more than happy to sell this print (40cm x 50cm block mounted panoramic shot), but whats a reasonable amount to charge?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers.
:th3:

ameerat42
05-10-2015, 8:13pm
Wayno. You'll get lots of good advice - none from me, though. I've moved your post to its new location in BOP.

Oh, OK, a bit of advice: consider what you want to sell, full rights to the image, etc.
Good on yer for getting the interest.
Am.

ricktas
05-10-2015, 8:32pm
Agree with Am, find out more. They may want exclusive rights (ie you cannot sell other copies, perhaps they want to display it in public, or it could just be a mum who likes it and wants it on the wall at home). Once you know more you can then set a suitable $

Wayno
08-10-2015, 8:41am
Agree with Am, find out more. They may want exclusive rights (ie you cannot sell other copies, perhaps they want to display it in public, or it could just be a mum who likes it and wants it on the wall at home). Once you know more you can then set a suitable $

The gentleman has come back to me saying he just wants to hang it on the wall.
I was thinking of asking in the range of $150 to $250.
Any thoughts?
Cheers,

ameerat42
08-10-2015, 9:35am
Ask him what he wants to pay.
(And if he agrees at the end remind him of the copyright ownership.)

Mark L
08-10-2015, 9:54pm
Here's some thoughts from no one who knows about this.
If he just wants a print to hang on the wall why is there a worry about copyright? It's a print on a wall that he will use for no other purpose? If he doesn't state he wants copyright then you retain it?
He particularly likes your photo so ask for the $250 (you have nothing to loose). If he says no, ask for $200 or ask what he would pay once he's rejected your original offer?

Cris
08-10-2015, 10:02pm
If you were to sell it to a gallery or another retailer you would want to double your cost at least and they would most likely double that again, so if it cost you $50, then $200 is a reasonable starting point for a print. Thats just for the print, no rights for anything else.

farmmax
08-10-2015, 11:17pm
I usually set a price around what you are suggesting. $150 - $250 for a limited edition print. I limit editions to 5 prints. Not that I sell many :D Sometimes I get offered less, but I don't accept it, because I'm not in the business of selling photos and don't care if I sell it or not. If they seriously want it, they'll pay.

Congratulations.

Wayno
09-10-2015, 8:45am
Thanks for your advice guys. Much appreciated.
Negotiations have now moved to the size of the print in question, which I am more happy to make larger than the original. That way he can mount it and frame it as he chooses.

William W
14-10-2015, 9:53pm
. . . I am more happy to make larger than the original. That way he can mount it and frame it as he chooses. . .

If it were mine, I would certainly make the print larger than the original to suit the buyer's requirements: but I would supply it mounted and framed, and signed with a certification of originality of the artist.

WW