PDA

View Full Version : Not new to photography. but new to this camera.

thegrump
29-07-2015, 9:06pm
I purchased a Yashica linx 1.4 back in 1966. I took many great shots with it until it died, (many years ago). I was given a point and shoot, but never became involved as I was before. Last year I was given a Nikon D3100 and the interest is coming back. Unfortunately this camera is just too complex. I can not get my head around the finer points. ie: I am trying to take some photos of a crystal vase. I have tried every setting, flash, no flash, natural light, reflected light. even set up a opaque tent. I have tried UV - CPL. NOTHING....It is like this forum too complex for my head. So if some one could give me their views on taking photos of transparent objects, It would be great.
Thanks for any help. To that I have added a recent photo I took and named the devil riding his flaming chariot.

ricktas
29-07-2015, 9:19pm
Welcome to AP.

We cannot CC photos in intro threads, but you have given us a teaser of what you can do. So hope to see your photos on the CC forums soon, along with your own critique and advice on other members photos.

Dug
29-07-2015, 9:50pm
Welcome thegrump.

New cameras can be a bit daunting.
Just remember the basics are still all that is really required.
That is all the things your old rangefinder had.
Shutter speed
Apeture
ISO setting (ASA film speed)
White balance (film colour balance)

The forum has a lot to take in at once, but soon enough you will find the areas of most use to you.
For your vase shot I would suggest you post images of the results you have got so far in the "Shooting Help" section.
This will let people offer suggestions knowing exactly what the subject is like and the issues you are having.

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?178-Shooting-Help

bitsnpieces
29-07-2015, 10:35pm
Welcome to AP :)

As Dug said, just start with basics

CandidTown
30-07-2015, 11:17am
Taking pictures of transparent objects is not possible, becasue if it were, we'd all be just taking pictures of our UV filters.. :)

But taking my humor aside, what you want is to capture a delicate balance of shadow and light on your vase.
It's all about the light.

You are lucky, in 1966 you'd take a picture and and wait a week to process before you got the results, now, they come instantly.
What I'd do in your case is this:

Set your vase on a table and your camera on a tripod.
Get a simple desktop lamp and shine a light on your vase from different angles.
Front, side, back, top. Soon you will find the angle that will give you the best result.
Do it in small steps. Sometimes even a shift of a few degrees will make a huge difference.

Once you find the best angle, you can start adding reflectors from the other side, or another light.

Most imiportantly, capturing transparent objects is extremly difficult, so do not get discouraged.
Taking a picture of a perfume bottle for a commercial would probably require a team of 5 and full day of shooting. :)

thegrump
30-07-2015, 4:35pm
Thanks....I will try that....

Kym
05-08-2015, 11:04pm
:gday: & Welcome to AP!
- lets see some photos in the main CC forums (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?5) maybe try a competition or 2 and have fun!