PDA

View Full Version : Hello Everyone!

OZFreelance
04-06-2015, 6:30pm
My name is Denis, I am retired and have rediscovered photography 5 years ago. In the 70s, I was a keen photographer shooting with Nikon "F" and Nikormat. Unfortunately, under great professional pressure I completely forgot my cameras and left them in a cupboard for more than 25 years. I still have got them and they still work!
My renewed interest happened in 2010 when my wife offered me a new Canon 7D for my birthday. But moving from film to digital proved to be a very frustrating process but certainly a very stimulating undertaking. 5 years on, I think I have reached a reasonable level, although it still is an ongoing process and I am discovering new things everyday. I am now shooting with a Canon 5DIII and Canon 7D. My bag becoming too heavy, I have rationalized my lenses and kept only a Canon 24-70 mm f:2.8 and Canon 70-200 mm f:2.8. I try to get by with that and it works quite well, although I might acquire a 2x Canon extender to increase my 70-200 mm range.
I have a very wide photographic interest and shoot landscapes, sports, street photography, architecture, travel and of course family which is a big part of my action! Often, I give myself projects and try to cover them as well as I can. When I was young, I wanted to be a journalist (war correspondent). I finished being a geologist! But I have kept the journalistic instinct in me and tend to shoot like one. I shoot approximately 10,000 pictures/year.
Photography is totally addictive and I think I am now completely hooked on it! my wife often regrets that she bought me the 7D! But I believe that it is better than golf! :lol:

ameerat42
04-06-2015, 6:43pm
Hi Denis. Welcome to AP. The key here is to join in and enjoy. From your experience you'll have a lot to offer.
BTW, how's the cupboard keeping up?:D

To see how to do things on the forum, head over to the Library and check out "How Do I...?"
Am.

ricktas
04-06-2015, 6:52pm
Welcome to AP Dennis. Good to hear you have your photo mojo back. See you on the forums soon

Cage
04-06-2015, 7:00pm
Hi Denis and welcome to AP.

I agree that getting your head around your first DSLR can be rather daunting. My first was also about 5 years ago and after about 2 days reading the manual I was nearly ready to give up. I decided to go with what I was familiar with, set the camera to 'Manual' and used it like the old Canon 'A' series I knew. I've learnt most of the bells 'n' whistles that I use as I've gone along, but still shoot almost exclusively in manual mode.

Post some shots and join in the fun.

Mary Anne
04-06-2015, 9:14pm
Hello Denis :action66: and Welcome to AP. What a wonderful intro you have written, and you have some great gear there.
Will look forward to seeing some of those images on the Forums :2smile:

Mark L
04-06-2015, 9:18pm
Good intro Denis. :th3:
Welcome aboard. Hope you get involved, 'tis what makes forums work.;)
You probably have other things on your plate but it's never to late to get involved in the weekly members challenge if you're looking for something different to do each week .... http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?190-Member-Challenges-52-2015

bitsnpieces
05-06-2015, 12:04pm
Welcome to AP Dennis :)

Kym
11-06-2015, 9:55am
:gday: & Welcome to AP!
- lets see some photos in the main CC forums (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?5) maybe try a competition or 2 and have fun!