PDA

View Full Version : Hi, from a newby

glenaygen
27-05-2015, 6:58pm
Hi everyone.

My names Glenn. I have been taking happy snaps with a point and shot camera for years. The time has come to move up to a DSLR and learn how to take better pictures. I have a lot to learn and I'm looking forward to it. I will be purchasing a 6D in July and I can't wait to get started.

ricktas
27-05-2015, 7:22pm
Welcome Glenn, See you on the forums

Mary Anne
27-05-2015, 10:21pm
Hello Glenn and Welcome to AP.. Plenty to learn here post some images on the Forums for cc, that's a great way to learn.
Lots of Competitions to enter and there is always The Weekly Challenge (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?190-Member-Challenges-52-2015) something different every week, Letter K this week.
And while you are waiting for that 6D have a read of the New To Photography Book (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showlibrary.php?title=Indexes:New_To_Photography_Book) lots of info there.

Mark L
28-05-2015, 8:16pm
G'day Glenn.
You've found a good place to learn. Don't be afraid to ask questions. And generally get involved. 'tis what makes forums work.
Mary Anne's suggestion about the weekly members challenge is good. Might give you a few reasons to try different photos as you learn how to drive your DSLR.
Making comments on others photos can help you eventually get better photos also. "Like this because ...", "can you explain why ....."
Roll on July. Enjoy your photography journey.
See You around AP hopefully.:th3:

Kevvy
29-05-2015, 8:37am
Welcome to the group.
you will find a lot of helpful info here.
cheers Kevvy

bitsnpieces
29-05-2015, 10:46am
Welcome Glenn and though yes, you'll definitely be learning a lot with your new camera, especially on these boards, you don't necessarily have to move up to a DSLR in order to learn how to take better pictures. :)

Point and shoots can still take amazing photos, and these days, a lot of them even have a full manual mode! But even without manual mode, you can still learn so much.

So while waiting for your 6D to arrive, get out there and don't be shy with your point and shoot.

Practice compositions, metering light (my website has an article on this), discovering the creative artist within you, etc

Happy shooting :)