PDA

View Full Version : Beginner who needs a hobby

macx
06-10-2014, 2:20pm
Hi to all,
I am new to photography. I wish to experiment, be advised and garner information to help me enjoy photography.
I have started with a Canon 50D and 1 lens 24-70.
I am interested in landscapes and nature with a mixture of all sorts after.
I want to buy some new lenses but will need advice from more experienced persons.
I will also be trying to find a club of sorts in Adelaide if they exist.
Cheers
John

Mary Anne
06-10-2014, 3:59pm
Hello John and Welcome, seemed you joined a few years ago.. You will get plenty of help here about Lenses and anything else for that matter.
If you are after Canon lenses then start a post in the Gear Talk > Canon
Six forums below Gear Talk you will find AP State Based Information and Meetups have a look there in SA.
Join right in and start posting your images on the Forum for cc that's a great way to get info on your images and learn more.

ameerat42
06-10-2014, 4:04pm
Hi John. That sounds fair.
Have a look in the Library, too. Look in How to and New to Photography.
Am.

yeeoff
06-10-2014, 4:49pm
Welcome aboard.

Kym
06-10-2014, 5:27pm
:gday: & Welcome to AP!
- lets see some photos in the main CC forums (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?5) maybe try a competition or 2 and have fun!

Maybe have a look at the New to Photography (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showlibrary.php?title=Indexes:New_To_Photography_Book) book and the Learning Plan in the book.

ricktas
06-10-2014, 5:35pm
Welcome. See you on the forums.

Mark L
06-10-2014, 8:02pm
G'day John.
Don't be afraid to ask questions, make comments and generally get involved. Helps us all learn and makes forums work.

Jason M
06-10-2014, 10:15pm
Hi There John,

Welcome, Im also a newbie and would like to say that the folks here are great and help is not far away.
Have fun.

Jay

Dug
06-10-2014, 10:17pm
Hi John.
There are plenty of camera clubs here in Adelaide.
Personally I don't think there is anymore to be got from a camera club than being active on a forum apart from making some contacts.

I've been part of a group that have meet ups in Adelaide for a day's shooting that has been going for about a year and a half.
You will see a couple of posts in the SA meets section here about past dates, but little tends to eventuate in terms of actual shows, so instead the core group just tends to do more spur off the moment meets amongst ourselves.
We did the Port museums yesterday for instance.
This Saturday (11th) the plan is to go to Tanunda/Lyndock/Angaston to shoot the character of the areas, pm me if you are interested and I'll keep you in the loop about what is going on.
We have a car load at this stage, so if it is not too far for you, you could take your own vehicle and tag along (leaving from the Port most likely) or meet us there.

macx
08-10-2014, 7:03pm
Hi Dug,
Thanks for the reply and the offer to join in your activities.
I am interested but need to get my act together, new lens and how to operate the camera.
Don't want to look to foolish on my first outing.
Cheers
John

Mark L
08-10-2014, 7:40pm
^ Dug will help you on your way. We all started somewhere.:th3:

Dug
09-10-2014, 5:32pm
Hi Dug,
Thanks for the reply and the offer to join in your activities.
I am interested but need to get my act together, new lens and how to operate the camera.
Don't want to look to foolish on my first outing.
Cheers
John

Yep, what Mark said.

One lens is a good place to start anyway, and there is a lot you can do in the 24-70 range.
I currently only have one lens as well 24-105, and one of the guy's from the weekend thought it would be fun to just bring a 50mm.

It's up to you if you would feel more comfortable getting the basics under your belt first, but we would give you all the help you want.
I think it would fast track that initial learning process to be shown something then apply it on the spot.
As it happens we all shoot Canon, apart from one Sony misfit :)

I'll PM you about the next thing we do that is more local, if you like.

PS What part of town are you in?