PDA

View Full Version : A not so young new member

STIRLO
27-08-2014, 3:16pm
Hi,

I have been taking photos for many years at a very basic level with some fairly basic gear. Our current camera is a Panasonic DMC-TZ22 which we have had for about three years. We travel a lot and enjoy recording the scenery wherever we travel as well as the wildlife and the flowers/plants etc. We manage to take the occasional good shot and realise that there is so much more to learn so thought we would join a forum - this sounds like a good one! Not sure that we will have too much to contribute but will enjoy sharing some photos on the forum and listening to the feedback.

Stirling (Stirlo)

bobt
27-08-2014, 3:30pm
Welcome to the world of photography ..... you certainly won't be the only old fart around - in fact there are probably some who are your senior! That's the great thing about photography, age is no barrier (nor good looks, intelligence, charm etc but don't let me bore you with my resume).

Ask questions, read other people's messages or just ponder your navel - you're bound to find something of interest here. :D

Hawthy
27-08-2014, 3:31pm
Hi Stirlo,

Welcome. You can really learn a lot in here from other people. I have a Panasonic DMC-TZ30 which is much like yours. They are very convenient and versatile cameras for travelling. Once you have been here for a while though you might decide that you need (not want - but really, really need) a DSLR camera. And that is how it starts....

STIRLO
27-08-2014, 4:13pm
Thanks for the welcome Bob - I didn't realise I had given myself away so readily!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the welcome - I thought I should resist the 'need' until I understand some of the basics of photography so that I can make an informed decision on an upgrade without diving in at the deep end and regretting it later.

bobt
27-08-2014, 5:18pm
Knowing what you're doing certainly helps, although modern cameras sure take the guesswork out of it! Whether or not you'll ever want/need a DSLR will depend on a number of things, so you're wise not to jump in too early and buy something new. The DSLRs are certainly capable of great images, but some of the new cameras produce amazing pictures too. There are many, many considerations to ponder before buying a camera - especially if you have one already to keep you happy while you learn.

You'll need to establish how serious you're likely to be (photographers can get pretty obsessive about their gear); how much money you have (it won't last long); how much equipment you're prepared to lug around; how tolerant your partner is; plus a whole lot of other issues.

Play around, figure out what it is you really want to achieve, and then work from there. There's no "right" or "wrong" because it's all about achieving your own personal goal - and even a point and shoot camera might satisfy that!

Whatever you're seeking, there will be a camera out there that's just right .......

ricktas
27-08-2014, 6:05pm
Welcome. Hope to see your photos soon

Liney
27-08-2014, 6:40pm
Welcome Stirlo, we look forward to you sharing your experience in photography on the forum.

Liney

bitsnpieces
28-08-2014, 12:37pm
Welcome Stirlo and there's definitely plenty you can do to contribute - even if it's sharing your photos and getting some advice, other people see it and learn from it too.
And as you've mentioned, you found some of your shots looking good - what makes it good? So obviously you have your personal view points - feel free to share them to everyone as you also comment on their photos.

This is all about sharing - you're in the right place to learn.

Kym
28-08-2014, 4:31pm
:gday: & Welcome
- lets see some photos in the main CC forums (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?5) maybe try a competition or 2 and have fun!