PDA

View Full Version : New Member Introduction

Ravvin
07-07-2014, 11:07am
Hi all.
This is just meant to be a brief introduction of myself, but I tend to get sidetracked easily.
Years back, I was interested in photography and ended up with a Pentax P30 and a few lenses and filters. I really enjoyed it, but found it a very expensive hobby on a student’s income. Eventually I packed all my gear away and didn’t take a picture in close to 15 years.
About 9 years ago I moved from Queensland to Tasmania and got a job in the forest industry as a “Forest Technician”, (grunt work). Over the years I have worked my way up the ladder to GIS Manager/Forestry Surveyor/Contractor Supervisor and found I needed to take lots of photos of different things as part of the job. I mostly used a compact Powershot camera, for its small size and fairly rugged construction, but I was never satisfied with the resulting pictures. It’s pretty much fully automatic and the pictures always seemed flat, lacking depth. I recently got a promotion and pay raise, so decided to get back into photography.
After some research and comparison of different DSLR cameras, I decided I would try to get a Canon EOS camera, preferably 18 megapixel or better. Some of the deciding factors were that these cameras had a lot of compatible lenses, seem reasonably well made, had plenty of manual control options and were in a price range I could justify for an entry-level camera.
With this in mind, I started checking for-sale listings, eBay, Gumtree and online camera shops. After a few false starts with dodgy listings and sellers who never answered, I became the owner of a Canon EOS 650D with the EF-S 18-55 and 55-250 lenses.
I read the entire manual, most of which seems to be telling me to use the pre-set modes and spent the weekend playing around, trying different settings and seeing the effects. The difference between pics taken with this and the compact camera are amazing. As an example, I took a series of photos along a dirt track with a “grip”, or cross drain, dug diagonally across it. The pictures from the compact camera just showed a flat brown track. You couldn’t pick the grip out at all. The photos taken with the 650D made the grip stand out, almost like it was a 3D image. It’s hard to explain without seeing the pics, but it’s like comparing a square drawn on paper to a wireframe cube spinning in a drawing program.
I played around a bit, experimenting with depth-of-field effects, and feel I understand the basics of that, but going from the old film cameras, with the fixed ISO rating of the film currently loaded to the new digital camera with auto/manual selection is a bit of a brain strain. Back when I used my old Pentax film camera, I generally chose to work in Aperture Priority mode as I could watch the shutter speed the camera selected and close down the aperture to increase depth-of-field until the shutter speed got too low to be able to hold steady enough for a sharp image. Now, with the auto/manual selection of film ISO from 100 to 12800, I have to remember to specify an ISO as well, or it changes it based on some internal ruleset and throws off my expected results. It feels like I need a mental third hand to juggle all the settings. The best thing about these digital cameras is that I can instantly see the results and try again. Not like the old film cameras.
I spend much of my week and weekend in various parts of the Tasmanian bush, so much of my photography will be macro work, landscape and wildlife shots. I decided I needed more information and started looking for guides and tutorials on digital photography, as well as an active community where I could ask questions of people with far more experience than myself. After a brief look through this forum, I decided to join as it seems to fit the bill. I hope to be a contributing member and promise not to ask too many silly questions. But I probably will anyway. :D

Mary Anne
07-07-2014, 1:19pm
Hello Ravvin :action66: and Welcome to AP.. What a great intro.. Sounds like we have the same interests in two of those Genres and cameras.
Join right in and start posting on the forums for cc that is the best way to get some of those questions answered.
Any others then start a post in the Forum where you think it suits best.. :2smile:

Cage
07-07-2014, 1:54pm
I hope to be a contributing member and promise not to ask too many silly questions. But I probably will anyway.

The only silly question is the one you don't ask.

Welcome to the forum.

bitsnpieces
07-07-2014, 5:14pm
Looks like you've got quite the history.

Welcome to AP, and I'm excited to see your contributions Ravvin :)

ameerat42
07-07-2014, 6:45pm
What? No silly questions? Oh, that's no fun:D

But really, you should fit in very well here, so welcome to AP.
Am.

Kym
07-07-2014, 8:11pm
:gday: & Welcome
- lets see some photos in the main CC forums (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?5) maybe try a competition or 2 and have fun!

ricktas
07-07-2014, 10:13pm
Welcome to another Tasmanian ( I won't hold that Queensland past against you :D ). See you on the forums soon.

Wayne63
08-07-2014, 9:33am
Welcome to AP, enjoy the site and look forward to seeing some of your pics in the forums

Ravvin
08-07-2014, 2:15pm
Thanks to you all for the warm welcome. I'm working my way through the New to Photography section of the library and will spend some time after work trying to put some of what I learn there into practice. I've already changed a few settings in my camera due to what I read there, such as saving in RAW + Jpeg format and switching from One Shot Autofocus to AI Autofocus.
It may be a little while before I post any pics as I want to play around with the post-processing software that I downloaded from the Canon site and it's very different to any of the picture editing software I have used before. So many options and menus to play with!

ricktas
08-07-2014, 8:56pm
There are quite a few Canon DPP software users on the site. So if you are stuck, just ask

Mark L
08-07-2014, 10:45pm
G'day Ravvin.
Please get involved here at AP.
That Canon software you downloaded is quite useful with RAW and pretty much useless with Jpeg.
As Rick said, post any questions you have about it. If you think the question is a bit "silly", then PM me and I'll help. Though others (and there are always others to afraid to ask about the same question) won't learn from your questions.:)