PDA

View Full Version : looking at getting back into photography

Loveb
05-06-2014, 9:25pm
hey all, names paul. Originally from the philippines but now living in australia.

As a younger boy I enjoyed photography. Started out with my dads old pentax film cameras. Saved up a bit then bought a 400D when it first came out... Wanted to progress further but my circumstances saw me selling my camera and never really pursuing any further.

my then girlfriend now wife and I bought a 1000D just to still take photos with. And so far its sufficed as we've been ok with the outcome of the photos.

But I find, since now I'm in a better position to get another camera, I'd like to jump into the deeper end.

I'm interested in getting a 5Dmk3 but at the moment am still reading up and finding out whether I want/need the 24-70 or the 24-105. I"m sure theres lots of topics here on it but if you have any insights feel free!!

Was advised to look into a 6D but I'm not so sure I like the button layout. But I suppose that isnt really what matters now as essentially I'll be starting from scratch with just whatever 'natural' skill I may have left in me. lol!

I'd like to use it for our travels but mainly I'm into motorsport/bicycles so I'm sure it'll mostly be those I'm capturing. Apart from the portrait photos I must take of my wife!!!

so I'm sure most of you have had to make the decision, for a Mk3, would you go the 24-70II or 24-105?

Kym
05-06-2014, 9:26pm
:gday: & Welcome
- lets see some photos in the main CC forums (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?5) maybe try a competition or 2 and have fun!

bitsnpieces
06-06-2014, 8:27pm
Hi and welcome.

I don't know which of the lens will be better in quality, but if I was going to use it for sports mostly, I think the 24-105 will give me better reach. That will also work well for portraits.

But again, I don't know it's quality compared to the 24-70II, unless the 24-70II is that good and a must have compared to the other.

So just depends on your needs - I'm sure both are high quality lenses so either or - just my pick would be 24-105 (on the presumption they are the same quality) so I get the further reach.

Mary Anne
06-06-2014, 9:25pm
Hello Paul and Welcome back.. I bought the 5D Mk11 and the 24-105mm as the Kit over four years ago.
You really have to work out if you need the extra reach 24-105, or a faster lens 24-70 ll better for low ligh

P.S. There is a lot of difference in the price of those two lenses and weight.

Mark L
07-06-2014, 9:36pm
G'day Paul.
Since most that know about these things don't look at the intro threads, you will get a response to you camera and lens questions if you start a tread here ...... http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?16-Canon
Don't be afraid to get involved here at AP. Plenty of help to be had.
Hope Australia is kind to you.;)