PDA

View Full Version : A different angle

dobitoc
23-05-2014, 4:52pm
Hi, literature provides my perspective on photography. I'm researching ancient Greek poetry and discovering the ancients knew vastly more about fauna than we do. It's as if they had youtube, stills, and binoculars at their disposal and were able to penetrate to the most subtle nuances of animal behaviour. Whilst in genral we've lost the ancients' acumen and 'time to look', at least we've got the above media and can try to raise ourselves to the level of their game.

Kym
23-05-2014, 5:17pm
:gday: & Welcome
- lets see some photos in the main CC forums (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?5) maybe try a competition or 2 and have fun!

Maybe we need to see your photos to see what you see

ameerat42
23-05-2014, 7:58pm
Hi, literature provides my perspective on photography. I'm researching ancient Greek poetry and discovering the ancients knew vastly more about fauna than we do. It's as if they had youtube, stills, and binoculars at their disposal and were able to penetrate to the most subtle nuances of animal behaviour. Whilst in genral we've lost the ancients' acumen and 'time to look', at least we've got the above media and can try to raise ourselves to the level of their game.

Hi dobitoc.
I couldn't make a famous ancient philosopher as an anagram of your username.

Anyway, so is it true that there's nothing new under the sun?

Yes, those ancients! They had all the time in the world - after tilling the fields; running the gauntlet of their feudal masters; fighting the Trojans/Persians/Romans/sandflies.
Yes! What goes around, comes around.

Now, what do you think we can pass on to the Eloi and the Morlocks?

Anyway, welcome to AP.
Am.

Mark L
23-05-2014, 10:36pm
G'day dobitoc.
Maybe getting into photography will provide an extra perspective to the literature you enjoy.:) Hope so.
And I'm not sure the ancients presented how things are, they present their interpretation of things well.
Don't be afraid to post photos (your interpretation of how things are) and ask questions to help your quest come to pass.

rwg717
23-05-2014, 11:00pm
Hi there and welcome to AP:tog:
Richard