PDA

View Full Version : Hey from NZ

No1Daemon
08-05-2014, 11:13am
Hi all
I am from New Zealand. I live in Napier in Hawkes bay.

I am reasonably new to photography. I have a Canon D600 with standard lens kit and am hoping for some suggestions on upgrading my glass to something decent.

Planning on shooting a lot of macro shots of my Marine aquarium and seeing how others do the same. My wife is a portrait person so we should be able to share a similar lens for the same job.
Anyway, looking forward to meeting some of you and thank you for any future help and I hope to participate and add what I can

Thanks
Steve

OzChopper
08-05-2014, 12:27pm
Hello and welcome aboard Steve. There is plenty of information on this site and no doubt many other people who will be able to suggest new lenses etc.

I'm only new here myself and new to photography as well. So much to take on board!

Mary Anne
08-05-2014, 12:32pm
Hello Steve :action66: and Welcome to AP.. This is a great Forum for learning and getting plenty of info.
We can help you there with getting better glass. I have three macro lenses and which one do I use the most the Canon 100mm L f2/8 macro.

No1Daemon
08-05-2014, 1:21pm
Thanks guys.
I will have a look at that lens Mary Anne. What is the best photo editing software for the mac for RAW image files?
Is just the canon software adequate?

Kym
08-05-2014, 1:23pm
:gday: & Welcome
- lets see some photos in the main CC forums (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?5) maybe try a competition or 2 and have fun!

Mary Anne
08-05-2014, 2:35pm
Yes I use DPP that came with my Canon Cameras, but if you want to do other things its best to get Lightroom 5
You will get plenty of help here with LR 5 if needed I am not sure it you can buy it outright since Adobe stopped selling I think you have to rent it.
From the Adobe Site http://www.adobe.com/au/products/photoshop-lightroom.html yes they only rent it with Creative Cloud.
Have a look on line or even in the stores that sell Software it used to sell for $200 here in AU so could be just a little more in NZ.

No1Daemon
08-05-2014, 2:41pm
Okay. I will check that out also. Thanks. Id DPP is good enough for you then its good enough for me too though.

Mary Anne
08-05-2014, 3:56pm
I also have Lightroom 5 which is now 5.3 and Photoshop CS6 and still learning both, I bought them early last year before all that happened
I use the clone brush/tool and a spot healing brush often in CS6 they are my two best Friends at times, would you believe I cannot live without them.

No1Daemon
08-05-2014, 4:41pm
Do you have the is version of the 100mm f2/8 macro lens? I am wondering if the extra expense is worth it for the uses of this lens
Reviews look perfect for my purposes.

Mary Anne
08-05-2014, 5:05pm
Yes I do that's why its the L model its a heavy lens too, I hand hold all the time for Insects and I need all the help I can get.
I understand that you have to keep within your budget, I also have the Tamron 90mm macro a lot lighter and that's about the cheapest one around.
Nothing wrong with that lens either,I used it for years, have a look at Sigma 105mm also. I honestly do not think there is a bad Macro lens around.

No1Daemon
08-05-2014, 5:23pm
Okay. I never considered that. I don't necessarily want to have to use the tripod for every macro photo.
Thanks for the suggestions.