PDA

View Full Version : Monochrome?

Mark L
16-04-2014, 9:47pm
That's the theme for the current AP POTW.
So far all entries are B&W.
Is this what has become generally accepted as monochrome? Maybe it's the easiest form, though is it really monochrome?
Is there other explanations to what monochrome could/should be?
:)

ROA44
16-04-2014, 10:02pm
The course I recently completed indicated just a single colour, eg an image which only contains an object that is all red or green or varying shades of the original colour so interesting question.

ricktas
16-04-2014, 10:10pm
Mono means one. Chrome (Chromatic) means colour. So a monochrome image can be one base colour. Red, green, blue, sepia. etc

Glenda
17-04-2014, 5:49am
I guess b&w is the most common interpretation ie all different shades of grey but could be all different shades of any colour that works for the particular image.

bcys1961
17-04-2014, 9:57am
This is something I'm also interested in. My understanding , as stated above is "one colour" , but it could be any colour.

The black/ white photo is all tones from white through to black . As the mix of black/white changes you get greys in between.

You could also have a colour range from white to red with all the tones of pinks in between. But my wife , who is a graphic designer and knows a little about colour , says the red at the end should have no black in it to be truly monochrome. Maybe this is too purist?

If a photo has only white , and all the shades of pink etc. thought to red is it monochrome? And if that same photo had some black in it , is it still monochrome?

landyvlad
17-04-2014, 2:27pm
Hmmm, a good question grasshopper....

I suppose it rather depends on what those judging the competition think!

Mark L
17-04-2014, 7:29pm

Though are all of us voting (or entering) the comp. judging from the correct perspective?

In Casablanca Ingrid Bergman did not say "Play it again, Sam." Most people think she did, so does that make it right?;):)

bcys1961
17-04-2014, 9:03pm
Hmmm, a good question grasshopper....

Yes , and think most people voting would be conservative , expecting B&W, and therefore those entering the comp think they had better also go conservative as well , so we all stick to B&W.