PDA

View Full Version : new member from Newcastle

CycoKilla
25-03-2014, 2:36pm
Hi everyone,

Have to say first off that the security/vetting of new members here is pretty wild. (In a good way.)
I'm so keen to read threads & look at pics, but need to pay my dues first, so here goes.

Have been interested in photography for a few years.
Took my wife to Europe in 2010 for our honeymoon & went through the process of learning about taking decent pics & trying to choose a decent camera to take.
I was looking at DSLR's at that stage but ended up going for a point & shoot.

The decision was based on budget, ease of carrying around & ease of use.
Also I'm the kind of guy that gets very passionate about every hobby i take up.
I go nuts joining all the forums, buying all the gear, endlessly talking to my wife about it, learning as much as I can, reaching a fair to middle level of proficiency then after 4-6 months I find a new hobby & the cycle starts again.

To give you some idea, I am a member of the following forums (genres – I generally join several in each):
Android
Harley Davidson
Aussie V8s
Guitars
Guitar Amplifiers
Digital Music Production
Poker
Poker Chips
Karate
Photography
BBQ

Anyhow, I tried to get what I thought was the best compromise between the simplicity of a point & shoot & the control & features of an DSLR.
We ended up with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ10. It seemed to have all the manual controls & priority modes I wanted to learn about plus it was easy to conceal when walking around & easy to use for the missus.

We had a wonderful trip around Italy, London & Paris & we took plenty of photos.
We came back home, dumped the pics onto the pc, made a slideshow & that was that.
Onto the next hobby for me.... the impending birth of our first child. LOL

Now, my hobbies tend to cycle around & with the birth of our young bloke (November 2011) roughly 12 months after our honeymoon I again became keen to take some good images of him & started (to the chagrin of my wife) investigating DSLRs.
At this point in time I thought, before I go out & buy a new camera I should thoroughly explore the one I have & if I feel limited by the features it offers then I could look at a DSLR. So, no new camera at this stage.

August 2013. I turn 40. Being a milestone birthday, I figure now is the right time to buy myself a cool new toy to mark the occasion.
The wife is on board with the idea & I start looking at DSLRs again. I think the Canon EOS 650D was in my sights.
However, car rego being due plus energy bills reaching the $1000 mark restricted my yearnings & I resolved to pay the bills & look at cameras again around Xmas time.
A couple of months later we were delighted to discover a second child was “in the making”. Due June this year, a little girl this time.
Inspired by this news & also by spending some time at work with a young fellow who had recently purchased a 6D for his trip to Italy I started investigating DSLRs again.

The Canon EOS 70D was relatively new on the market & was receiving some good reviews & had some excellent features that I was interested in.
It is my desire to take good quality photos as well as HD videos of my young bloke (& daughter, when she gets here).
Around Xmas last year there were some OK deals for that unit, but again, our focus & budget were on other things so I let it go.
I continued to keep an eye on the 70D price wise &, out of the blue, came into a sum of money recently.
The planets aligned & I pick one up a couple of weeks ago with the 18-135 IS STM kit lens.

Out of the box I am extremely happy with the camera.
It’s ergonomics are good & the DOF effects I was hoping for but never achieving with my old camera are excellent.
I am also surprised at how easy it is to use. Shooting in manual mode all the adjustments I want to make are right there without having to take my eye away from the eyepiece to look for them.
Very happy!

Now all I have to do is get out, take some shots & learn how to post process!
On that front I have recently installed Lightroom & am working through tutorials on how to use the program.
The tutes I’ve been going through are all fairly basic “make this number 70, make that number 40 & there you go” type of things but at least I’m learning.

Hopefully this will qualify as an introduction thread & I can start viewing the rest of the site.
I’m a little worried about the 30/50 rule.
For the last 5 years I’ve been a member of a guitar forum, I have only just made 30 posts & I read that forum every day!

Cheers,
Cyco!

- - - Updated - - -

ps - i forgot to mention how impressed I am with this site to start with.
Before I could even read any threads I was bombarded with suggested reading & books etc etc.
This is exactly the type of stuff I'm looking for as well as a "local" (australian) community.

Many thanks to everyone who built this place!!

ameerat42
25-03-2014, 2:37pm
A *Distinction* for your comprehensive Intro thread, Cyco.

Well, I guess you've already had a good look around here. I hope you have been pleasantly surprised at what you've found.

Anyway, welcome and join in. Interaction is the key to getting the best out of AP. Don't be too worried about that 30/50 Rule.
It's for protection of members - and now yourself. Post pictures, give critique to others, ask about PP, and before you know it
the 30/50 rule will be history.
Am.

Kym
25-03-2014, 2:54pm
:gday: & Welcome
- lets see some photos in the main CC forums (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?5) maybe try a competition or 2 and have fun!

Cage
25-03-2014, 5:59pm
Welcome, and good intro !

Interesting 'nic'. Dunno whether I'd want to go on a dark night shoot with you though. ;)

I don't suppose you are related to one of our mods, Arthur King?

CycoKilla
25-03-2014, 9:43pm
nah, no relation.
the user name is a gamer name I've had for years & years.
Use it on all the forums I frequent.

Whereabouts in the hunter are you, if you don't mind the intrusion?
I'm from Fletcher, near Wallsend.

Mary Anne
25-03-2014, 11:48pm
Hello and Welcome to AP. Interesting Intro and Congrats on the New Camera.
Will look forward to seeing what you post on the Forums :2smile:

Wayne63
26-03-2014, 7:04am
Welcome to AP, enjoy the site and look forward to seeing some of your pics in the forums

ricktas
26-03-2014, 7:05am
Welcome, thanks for the compliments on the site. See you on the forums

CycoKilla
26-03-2014, 11:59am
thanks for the replies.
I figured if I'm going to do an intro thread, might as well make it more than "Hi. I have a camera."

ameerat42
26-03-2014, 12:08pm
...I figured if I'm going to do an intro thread, might as well make it more than "Hi. I have a camera."...

Camera? Isn't this a quilting forum? Darn! :D

Cage
26-03-2014, 12:23pm
nah, no relation.
the user name is a gamer name I've had for years & years.
Use it on all the forums I frequent.

Whereabouts in the hunter are you, if you don't mind the intrusion?
I'm from Fletcher, near Wallsend.

G'day.

I'm up near Maitland, and there are quite a few AP members in the Newcastle and surrounding areas.

And the reason for my tongue in cheek question re any relationship to Arthur King will become obvious as you read threads Artie has posted in. ;)

CycoKilla
26-03-2014, 12:30pm
will become obvious as you read threads Artie has posted in. ;)

Ah, I see.
Cheers for the heads up! lol

old dog
26-03-2014, 5:08pm
yeah, hi from another Novo. Just up the street from Kevin (Cage).

dt86vyss
26-03-2014, 8:39pm
good intro, it had me thinking.... "whats coming up in the next eppisode" LOL. You'll find loads on here.

rookie
26-03-2014, 8:51pm
:gday::action66:

Mark L
26-03-2014, 8:55pm
That intro deserves a G'day and hope you get involved here.

Maintain your interest in photography and you'll enjoy CycoKilla ecstasy.:confused013

CycoKilla
26-03-2014, 11:13pm
Thanks for the warm welcomes guys.
Most of the forums I'm on are based in the U.S. so it's pretty nice to be greeted by lots of local people.

I spent most of my life out at Seaham, so Maitland was relatively close. Used to go to the movies there every Tuesday after TAFE, long before Raymond Terrace had a cinema.
Most of my mates are from Salamander Bay, Tanilba & Lemmo, so it's cool to see someone from Corlette saying g'day too.

This site is extremely comprehensive. I have to admit I'm kinda bewildered about where to start reading.
Just doing my usual thing & skimming through various sub forums for the moment.

Thanks heaps everyone!