PDA

View Full Version : G'Day

wmvaux
13-11-2013, 6:04pm
Hi, I am fairly new to photography but have managed to pick things up pretty quickly with the help of friends, youtube and facebook.
I sort of fell into photography by accident when my wife wanted a camera for her birthday. I ended up buying a Nikon D3200 with 2 lenses 18-55mm and 55-200mm. I decided that since it was a DSLR I would try and learn how to use one. Previously it was just a click and shoot with a Panasonic Lumix.

We had planned a trip to the States and I wanted to learn as much as I could so I could take some nice shots while over there. Unfortunately my wife dislocated her hip and required surgery and we had to cancel the trip. Since August 2013 when I first started playing with the camera and learning about photography I have bought a number of lenses to help me take the shots I want to take. A friend informed me that quality lenses won't go out of fashion, so I decided to by quality lenses I could afford. Rather than buying Nikon which were too expensive I have bought 2 Tamron lenses 24-70mm 2.8 & 70-200mm 2.8 and 2 Tokina lenses 11-16mm 2.8 and 100mm macro 2.8 which give me a great range to take different shots. I have also bought a tripod (Manfrotto Befree) which was to take on the trip, it's nice and compact and light. I have also invested in various lens filters CPL, ND's...etc I have just recently bought a new camera for myself as I was restricted with the D3200 and couldn't do things I wanted to do. Things like having to manually take bracket shots. I have bought a Nikon D7100 now and I'm still getting used to it as it's a bit different, but also makes it easier for me.

It's been a great few months and the excitement hasn't dropped off. I'm constantly looking for the next opportunity to take photos and looking for places to go.

I'm hoping to learn more here and hope to keep improving. It's funny how I looked at shots a few months ago thinking they were great and then now think they could be better.

Mary Anne
13-11-2013, 6:22pm
Hello and Welcome to AP.. That was bad luck what happened to your wife maybe next year.
Nothing wrong with third party lenses, I only have one Tamron lens and I love it the 90mm macro.
I liked it so much that when my Granddaughter broke it I bought another one.
Will look forward to seeing what you post on the Forums for cc that's the best way to learn :2smile:

Kym
13-11-2013, 6:24pm
:gday: & Welcome
- lets see some photos in the main CC forums (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?5) maybe try a competition or 2 and have fun!

hoping your Mrs gets well soon

wmvaux
13-11-2013, 6:35pm
Hello and Welcome to AP.. That was bad luck what happened to your wife maybe next year.
Nothing wrong with third party lenses, I only have one Tamron lens and I love it the 90mm macro.
I liked it so much that when my Granddaughter broke it I bought another one.
Will look forward to seeing what you post on the Forums for cc that's the best way to learn :2smile:

Yes we are planning on going next year fingers crossed.

I am very happy with the lenses I've bought, from what I read and understand most of the flaws are corrected in Lightroom anyway. I'm sure the Nikon lenses would be better, but there is no way I could afford to buy them at this stage. Maybe down the track.

- - - Updated - - -

:gday: & Welcome
- lets see some photos in the main CC forums (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?5) maybe try a competition or 2 and have fun!

hoping your Mrs gets well soon

Thanks Kym,

My wife is back at work and is doing well. We managed to go to the Grampians and Adelaide to have a short holiday, which was also good for taking some photos :D

Yes I will check out the forums and maybe try a competition.

Mark L
13-11-2013, 10:03pm
G'day and welcome to a good place to share, learn and help others.
Love your enthusiasm for photography and hope you get involved here.:th3:

Wayne63
14-11-2013, 6:44pm
Welcome to AP, enjoy the site and look forward to seeing some of your pics in the forums

rwg717
14-11-2013, 9:32pm
Hi and welcome to AP:D
Richard