PDA

View Full Version : Foam Core Mounted Prints

Dan Cripps
10-11-2013, 5:01pm
Does anyone know if any Australian labs offer foam core mounted prints in smaller sizes?

Ideally I would like to get a bunch of 6x4 inch printed and mounted… I can only find labs that do 8x12 or bigger...

RobC
10-11-2013, 5:35pm
I do not know a lab that will do this small.
DIY will save many dollars. You can buy Foamcore with an adhesive surface at most art shops. Just peel off the wax layer, lay your prints on the sticky side, and trim the foamcore away with a sharp blade or hobby knife. You will need a steel straight-edge rule, a cutting mat or underlay, and a sharp scalpel hobby knife. The foamcore cuts very easily (with a sharp blade!)
I think a 32x40inch sheet cost me $18-that will mount about 50 of 6x4s

ROA44
10-11-2013, 5:57pm
When buying this any material for mounting or storing (Paper Products) just make sure it is acid free other wise it can affect your printed image over time.

Most reputable of these products should be labelled acid free and a reputable art supplier should recommend the correct product for you.

Dan Cripps
10-11-2013, 6:55pm
Thanks! I'd prefer to not do it myself. I simply don't have time...

RobC
10-11-2013, 7:55pm
If your search is futile, consider ordering images as a multi-package (12 6x4 images on one 16x20inch print-mounted on foamcore) then cut to size- might be your only way. I have done some google searches with nothing. Do you have a local art gallery? they often put art-work titles on foam-core, how do they produce these.

johndom
12-11-2013, 8:35pm
I did some at vision Image(?) in Redfern a few years back but they were for larger sizes, I cant remember if they do smaller, but they are a pro lab, so quite helpful.
Im sure you know the limitations of foamcore, it didnt last too long for me, but wasnt intended too either. I wouldnt do it again.

I @ M
13-11-2013, 3:45am
Try Bond Imaging, I am pretty sure that they sub contract the foamcore and acrylic mounting. They told me a while ago that if I was thinking about printing and mounting sizes that weren't listed in their ordering software to ring them and they would see what they could do.