PDA

View Full Version : Complete Newbie :)

dasinc
29-08-2013, 1:20am
G'day everyone :)

Just bought my first camera - the pentax K30. Should get it tomorrow :)

I am a photo retoucher/restorer, not a photographer at all. However, I decided I wanted to do some playing and see what I can do. Hopefully going to get into astrophotography once I learn how to use the camera. I am hoping to do it on the cheap so will end up with a couple of lenses and and good tripod coupled with the vixen polarie. Seems to be the simplest, cheapest, most portable solution.

Anyway, I am sure this forum will be a wealth of information for someone like me, so that is why I am here:)

ricktas
29-08-2013, 6:27am
Welcome to AP. See you on the forums

Wayne63
29-08-2013, 9:36am
Welcome to AP, enjoy the site and look forward to seeing some of your pics in the forums

dt86vyss
29-08-2013, 2:41pm
welcome on board, you will have many good adventures with the new camera

Kym
29-08-2013, 2:46pm
:gday: & Welcome
- lets see some photos in the main CC forums (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?5) maybe try a competition or 2 and have fun!

dasinc
29-08-2013, 3:23pm
Thanks guys. Looking forward to sussing it out. My wife has signed for it, but hasn't told me....do I guess she is going to 'surprise' me with it! heh.
I have a rough understanding of the basics, but putting it into play will be fun.

Wizofoz
29-08-2013, 6:53pm
G'day and welcome dasinc

Not sure if this device might be out of your budget, but Penatx makes a hot shoe mount GPS unit that, among other things, allows the camera to utilise its ability to move the sensor (which is how shake reduction works) to get long exposure astro shots without star trails..
I understand this unit will work on any Pentax later than a K-5 classic, and the K-30 certainly fits that description.

Worth a look, they are a very cool little device

dasinc
30-08-2013, 12:17pm
Yeah I was just reading about that a while ago. Sounds good, but I think it limits your exposure to (for me at my lattitude) to about 5 mins max. Also seems to be a bit flakey is some directions. Not really sure, since I've never done anything like that I don't even know if these would be issues for me. heh. Definitely worth a look though as it seems to be 1/2 the price of the polarie!

Thanks

chappo1
30-08-2013, 12:20pm
Good luck with the new toy. With your retouching skills you ought to be able to rectify any learning oopses....john