PDA

View Full Version : G'day

adro
10-08-2013, 11:08am
:action66:

I came across this site and decided to join hoping to better my very average photography skills.

I enjoy taking motorsport shots, mainly at Lakeside, Brisbane.

I started with a Canon 1000D but have decided to upgrade to a 7D which I will be picking up in an hour or two. :D

I've had my 70-200 F4 L for a while and have a EF 100mm F2.8 USM macro lens on order.

Macro photography is something I think will be very interesting to attempt so I'm eagerly awaiting my lens to be delivered.

Anyhow, I'm going to peruse the forums for a bit and then go pick my new camera up. Wohoo!

Mary Anne
10-08-2013, 1:40pm
Hello and Welcome to AP.. I have both those lenses though none of those cameras, you will love the macro lens
You should be happy with the 7D many Members here have it, I am still waiting for the 7D MK11 to appear, next year they say now.
Will look forward to seeing what you post on the Forums with that macro lens.

Dazz1
10-08-2013, 3:22pm
Welcome adro. How's the 7D? I bet you are enjoying unpacking a new camera about now :) Let's see the first test shots!

adro
10-08-2013, 6:32pm
Thanks for the welcome.

Well I got the 7D and I was as happy as a pig in poo.

Unpacked it and started charging the battery.

I took the 70-200 lens off the 1000D and put it on the 7D.

Lens cap off, looked through the viewfinder and my jaw almost hit the ground and my blood started to boil.

The view was rather dark and it was like there was a lot of dust on the mirror, very spotty and grainy.

Took the lens off and gave the guts of the camera a few quick blasts of air with the blower which didn't help.

I read the Kogan return policy while waiting for the battery to charge.
Put the battery in, set the time and date etc. Did the sensor cleaning option a few times, crossed my fingers, walked out on to the balcony and proceeded to look through a lovely clean viewfinder. :banana:

Took one quick pic, d/loaded it to the pc and all was good in adro land.

I don't know if what happened is the norm for a brand new dSLR but fingers crossed that's the last drama I have.

Now I just have to learn about all the different options. Certainly a lot more than the 1000D.

ricktas
10-08-2013, 6:39pm
Welcome. See you on the forums

Dazz1
10-08-2013, 7:10pm
Thanks for the welcome.

Well I got the 7D and I was as happy as a pig in poo.

Unpacked it and started charging the battery.

I took the 70-200 lens off the 1000D and put it on the 7D.

Lens cap off, looked through the viewfinder and my jaw almost hit the ground and my blood started to boil.

The view was rather dark and it was like there was a lot of dust on the mirror, very spotty and grainy.

Took the lens off and gave the guts of the camera a few quick blasts of air with the blower which didn't help.

I read the Kogan return policy while waiting for the battery to charge.
Put the battery in, set the time and date etc. Did the sensor cleaning option a few times, crossed my fingers, walked out on to the balcony and proceeded to look through a lovely clean viewfinder. :banana:

Took one quick pic, d/loaded it to the pc and all was good in adro land.

I don't know if what happened is the norm for a brand new dSLR but fingers crossed that's the last drama I have.

Now I just have to learn about all the different options. Certainly a lot more than the 1000D.

Really glad it all worked out, and I bet you are too. So, do you think it really was dust on the mirror? Maybe vibrations etc during the journey to your place might have caused the mirror to be partly moved out of the normal position, and applying power (the newly charged battery) reset it to where it should have been?

Let's see those photos then :)

adro
11-08-2013, 12:55am
I don't think it was dust as the innards looked just as clean before and after I blew it out.
Hopefully, as you said, it just needed to be powered up and the sensor cleaner doing its thing might have aligned everything back up.
I'd love to hear if anyone else has had the same situation.

Wanna see some photos?

I've been busy since my earlier post and haven't touched the camera since.

I have to go to Toowoomba tomorrow ( looks at clock, actually today ) so I might see if I can find a lookout on the way up the range and do some test shots.
It will be lunchtime so the lighting won't be spectacular but at least I can test it out.

Lots to learn though. There seems to be a lot more options than the ol' 1000D.

Thankfully I don't go back to work until Thursday so that gives me some time to digest some of the info here.

Wayne63
11-08-2013, 6:44am
Welcome to AP, enjoy the site and look forward to seeing some of your pics in the forums

bigmick
11-08-2013, 10:07pm
welcome to AP and enjoy

Kym
12-08-2013, 9:30am
:gday: & Welcome
- lets see some photos in the main CC forums (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?5) maybe try a competition or 2 and have fun!