PDA

View Full Version : getting back into photography

chelle
09-08-2013, 4:24pm
Hi all, I was a member here a few years ago but a few life changes meant that I had little time to get a camera out beyond taking happy-snaps on the iPhone. Although I had never progressed far in my skills the first time round doing the tutorials here I know that I was coming to understand the technical side of things and was perhaps 'getting there!' ;)

Since then I have seriously forgotten everything!!! I love photography but over the last couple of years I've been getting really frustrated with myself for not being able to get any decent shots on those very few occasions when I did find time to get out and do some bushwalking or whatever. I've ended up with the camera back on Auto for ages now and just taking random photos of the kids etc.

With a little more spare time at the moment I would really like to get the camera off Auto and start learning the ropes again. I've spent the last few weeks trying to step-by-step things on my own but decided the only way to do it was to get back here where, in the past, I remember finding great chatty helpful peeps and lessons. I've been refreshing my memory in the library section today and hope to start getting my head around aperture and lighting as my first goal.

I'm currently in the Northern Territory so shooting in bright light situations will be at the top of my list of things to learn.

thanks for having me back. I look forward to chatting and hope to remain more active here in the future.

Banjo
09-08-2013, 4:43pm
I'm in the same boat Chelle. Gotta get that fire in the belly back ...

Kym
09-08-2013, 5:44pm
:gday: & Welcome Back
- lets see some new photos in the main CC forums (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?5) maybe try a competition or 2 and have fun!

chelle
10-08-2013, 7:35am
Thanks.
I'm not at the point where entering any kind of competition would be of use, but I do have quite a few photos where I know there was the potential for something nice if only I had known what I was doing! So I will post a few of those and see where others would have started with the shot.

ricktas
10-08-2013, 7:44am
Welcome back,. you will find the knowledge will come back reasonably quickly cause as you learn something your brain will go 'oh yeah, I remember that' and it will be a bit easier to comprehend it all the second time round.

See you on the forums

Tommo1965
10-08-2013, 8:04am
welcome back...check this guy out on Youtube ..he has a way of explaining things that my missus can understand ( no slight on females..she just knows nothing about photography )

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZajtzLoD3nxn2G9ripCjPg

Mark L
10-08-2013, 8:59pm
...thanks for having me back.

Thanks for coming back.:)
Get involved and you'll learn and get inspired to take more photos.

Wayne63
11-08-2013, 6:45am
Welcome Back, look forward to seeing some of your pics in the forums

chelle
11-08-2013, 11:35am
I'll post a few photos later today that I took yesterday. I went out to specifically try two of the main styles of photo that I like to take. The photos themselves didn't really come out brilliantly but I did learn a lot more about photographing for the highlights (I think that's what it's called) so I'll post my series and hope for some feedback and advice for next time.
thanks!! :)

pomiejohn
11-08-2013, 11:48am
I'm in the same boat and have been away far to long, I am currently thinking of doing a course at TAFE any feedback on this would be appreciated