PDA

View Full Version : Just received the new Nikon AF-S 80-400 f4.5-5.6 ED VR - sample shots

Lance B
19-06-2013, 9:20pm
I finally received my 80-400 f4.5-5.6 ED VR today after a lot of dickering around by various camera stores. So far with some limited time with it at the zoo this afternoon, this lens is the "ants pants".

Most of these are shot wide open @ f5.6 (some f8) and at ISO6400 due to the dull, gloomy, wet day here in winter time Sydney at Taronga zoo. The lion shots were taken through glass as well! Just shots to test how good it is.

Nikon D800E, 1/160s, f/5.6, at 400.0mm, iso6400 handheld
http://www.pbase.com/lance_b/image/150874255/original.jpg

Nikon D800E, 1/125s, f/5.6, at 400.0mm, iso6400 handheld
http://www.pbase.com/lance_b/image/150874256/original.jpg

Nikon D800E, 1/833s, f/5.6, at 400.0mm, iso5600 handheld
http://www.pbase.com/lance_b/image/150874257/original.jpg

Crop of above.
http://www.pbase.com/lance_b/image/150874258/original.jpg

Nikon D800E, 1/625s, f/5.6, at 400.0mm, iso6400 handheld
http://www.pbase.com/lance_b/image/150874260/original.jpg

Nikon D800E, 1/400s, f/8, at 400.0mm, iso6400 handheld
http://www.pbase.com/lance_b/image/150874262/original.jpg

Nikon D800E, 1/833s, f/5.6, at 400.0mm, iso6400 handheld
http://www.pbase.com/lance_b/image/150874263/original.jpg

Nikon D800E, 1/200s, f/5.6, at 180.0mm, iso6400 handheld against glass
http://www.pbase.com/lance_b/image/150874264/original.jpg

Nikon D800E, 1/200s, f/5.6, at 180.0mm, iso6400 handheld against glass
http://www.pbase.com/lance_b/image/150874266/original.jpg

Nikon D800E, 1/250s, f/8, at 270mm, iso6400 handheld
http://www.pbase.com/lance_b/image/150874267/original.jpg

Nikon D800E, 1/625s, f/8, at 370mm, iso6400 handheld
http://www.pbase.com/lance_b/image/150874268/original.jpg

Nikon D800E, 1/200s, f/5.6, at 400mm, iso2500 handheld
http://www.pbase.com/lance_b/image/150874270/original.jpg

salnel
19-06-2013, 9:45pm
A lovely series of shots, Lance. Really love the lions images, especially through glass. How do you find the auto focus on this lens? And how do you think it stacks up against the 300 f4. ? It certainly looks nice and sharp!! The detail is excellent ! Thanks for sharing :)

Sar NOP
19-06-2013, 9:45pm
It looks pretty good for me, especially with such a high ISO !
How was the AF in these low light conditions ?

Lance B
19-06-2013, 10:39pm
A lovely series of shots, Lance. Really love the lions images, especially through glass. How do you find the auto focus on this lens? And how do you think it stacks up against the 300 f4. ? It certainly looks nice and sharp!! The detail is excellent ! Thanks for sharing :)

Thank you very much for your lovely comment, Sally! :)

The AF is quick! and very accurate! Very happy with both those aspects as well as overall IQ. The 300 f4 might have an ever so slight edge in sharpness, but the versatility of the 80-400 is without question, especially as it has VR and in these low light situations it was great to have.

- - - Updated - - -

It looks pretty good for me, especially with such a high ISO !

Thank you very much for your nice comments, Sar! :)

How was the AF in these low light conditions ?

AF was fast and accurate, never hunting and always spot on and VR worked a treat as well. All in all a great travel lens for when you want to go "light".

salnel
19-06-2013, 11:02pm
Thanks , Lance..VR is the one thing I wish the 300 had ..I seem to always be in low light !!

Lance B
19-06-2013, 11:20pm
Thanks , Lance..VR is the one thing I wish the 300 had ..I seem to always be in low light !!

I just hope they update the 300 f4 to a 300 f4 with VR soon! :)

Unique Faces
21-06-2013, 1:50am
Hi Lance. Any samples at 80mm? Thanks.

Glenda
21-06-2013, 6:50am
Great set of shots and certainly appears to be an impressive lens. As I get older and less stable I definitely need VR and find purchases swayed by its availability.

flyreels
21-06-2013, 8:20am
Fantastic shots Lance and the shot of the lion is simply stunning especial through glass!, you have got be pleased with those results :th3:

Lance B
21-06-2013, 9:19am
Hi Lance. Any samples at 80mm? Thanks.

I haven't tried it at 80mm yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Great set of shots and certainly appears to be an impressive lens. As I get older and less stable I definitely need VR and find purchases swayed by its availability.

Thank you very much for your nice comments Lplates! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Fantastic shots Lance and the shot of the lion is simply stunning especial through glass!, you have got be pleased with those results :th3:

Thank you very much for your lovely comments, Peter! :)

Gonk0
21-06-2013, 9:25am
I'm no expert Lance, but that lens looks to me as taking photos, or should I say the quality looks to be as good as your primes, I know that's a big thing to say, but these shots are fantastic.

#4 the crop, is great, the detail in the feathers, colours and sharp as per your usual standard, and all with a fairly high ISO.

The Lion photo, if you hadn't said it was shot through glass, no one would know, crystal clear and tack sharp.

A fantastic series, and to your usual standard, sharp, great colours, and great DOF.

Thanks for sharing.

mongo
21-06-2013, 9:29am
extremely impressive Lance. the shots of the wallaby and goat are particularly telling of its abilities. Mongo also notes these were shot wide open and at 6400 ISO ! You have given it a pretty good report card.

It would be interesting to see for completeness (in the near future) how good it can get if it was stopped down a little(if that makes any difference) and to see how it works with converters (not that there would be an abundance of need for converters).

Warus
21-06-2013, 11:07am
Im continually impressed on how well the D800 handles the high ISO. It must have been really gloomy to be at 6400 and 1/125. Well done on hand held at 400mm and those speeds.

Lance B
21-06-2013, 11:13am
extremely impressive Lance. the shots of the wallaby and goat are particularly telling of its abilities. Mongo also notes these were shot wide open and at 6400 ISO ! You have given it a pretty good report card.

It would be interesting to see for completeness (in the near future) how good it can get if it was stopped down a little(if that makes any difference) and to see how it works with converters (not that there would be an abundance of need for converters).

Thank you for your very nice comments, Mongo! :)

In these shots there was little light, as you can see by the fact that many were wide open and at ISO6400. Once I get to some bight sunshine, I will give it a work out at f8 and higher and maybe the use of the 1.4x TC. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I'm no expert Lance, but that lens looks to me as taking photos, or should I say the quality looks to be as good as your primes, I know that's a big thing to say, but these shots are fantastic.

#4 the crop, is great, the detail in the feathers, colours and sharp as per your usual standard, and all with a fairly high ISO.

The Lion photo, if you hadn't said it was shot through glass, no one would know, crystal clear and tack sharp.

A fantastic series, and to your usual standard, sharp, great colours, and great DOF.

Thanks for sharing.

Thank you very much for your glowing comments and extended appraisals, Gonk0! Very much appreciated. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Im continually impressed on how well the D800 handles the high ISO. It must have been really gloomy to be at 6400 and 1/125. Well done on hand held at 400mm and those speeds.

Thank you very much for your lovely comments, Warus! :)

cupic
21-06-2013, 3:35pm
Great set @ 400mm.That's the most saddest lion look I have seen in a long time :( :)
Those extra Megapixel just works in the cropping dept

Lance B
21-06-2013, 6:10pm
Great set @ 400mm.That's the most saddest lion look I have seen in a long time :( :)
Those extra Megapixel just works in the cropping dept

Thank you very much for your lovely comments, Cupic! :)

Unique Faces
22-06-2013, 11:51am
Finally had the chance to pixel peep the photos on my 27" Ultrasharp. They certainly look great! I wonder how they will look like with the D4 given it's excellent high ISO performance :) . I think they will be super.

No doubt a lens like this will be optimized for 400mm but will be interesting to see how it performs at the other end. Cheers.

Lance B
22-06-2013, 3:32pm
Finally had the chance to pixel peep the photos on my 27" Ultrasharp. They certainly look great! I wonder how they will look like with the D4 given it's excellent high ISO performance :) . I think they will be super.

No doubt a lens like this will be optimized for 400mm but will be interesting to see how it performs at the other end. Cheers.

Thank you very much for your kind comments, Unique Faces! :)

Actually up to ISO12800, the D4 and the D800 have about the same high ISO ability, ie both their noise signatures are basically the same up to that ISO. It is over ISO12800 where the D4 has the advantage and this can bee seen by DXO Marks tests. This has also been attested to by Sar Nop of this forum when he trialled these two cameras back to back in the deeply dim rainforests of far North Queensland earlier this year on a birding tour that he did. He said there was no advantage of the D4 at ISO12800 and under, but over that, the D4 has the big advantage. However, the D800 will have the better cropping ability due to the higher pixel count.

Unique Faces
22-06-2013, 4:02pm
Thank you very much for your kind comments, Unique Faces! :)

Actually up to ISO12800, the D4 and the D800 have about the same high ISO ability, ie both their noise signatures are basically the same up to that ISO. It is over ISO12800 where the D4 has the advantage and this can bee seen by DXO Marks tests. This has also been attested to by Sar Nop of this forum when he trialled these two cameras back to back in the deeply dim rainforests of far North Queensland earlier this year on a birding tour that he did. He said there was no advantage of the D4 at ISO12800 and under, but over that, the D4 has the big advantage. However, the D800 will have the better cropping ability due to the higher pixel count.

That's great to know. Thanks for your feedback.

wedgtail
24-06-2013, 11:19am
Fantastic images definitely put this lens on my wan't list thanks for the post.

Lance B
24-06-2013, 12:31pm
Fantastic images definitely put this lens on my wan't list thanks for the post.

Thank you very much for your lovely comments, Wedgetail! :)

Mary Anne
24-06-2013, 1:32pm
Very nice Lance, and congrats on the new lens I especially like the detail and sharpness on #10 the Goat its the best looking goat I have ever seen :2encou:

Kelz1990
24-06-2013, 1:36pm
A gorgeous series of photos. Love the green on the second bird, just stands out so much :D

old dog
24-06-2013, 4:17pm
these are very fantastic Lance. I`m really impressed as to the quality opened right up.

Lance B
26-06-2013, 8:52am
Very nice Lance, and congrats on the new lens I especially like the detail and sharpness on #10 the Goat its the best looking goat I have ever seen :2encou:

Thank you very much for your lovely comments, Mary Anne! :)

- - - Updated - - -

A gorgeous series of photos. Love the green on the second bird, just stands out so much :D

Thank you very much for your wonderful comments, Kelz! :)

- - - Updated - - -

these are very fantastic Lance. I`m really impressed as to the quality opened right up.

Thank you very much for your loveyl commants, Graeme! :)

Being able to use a lens like this wide open is a must as it gives you an extra stop that you might not have already had, unlike many lenses that need to be stopped down a stop in order to be able to use them to get decent IQ.

Ionica
26-06-2013, 9:10am
Useful info., and excellent images. Thanks.

Lance B
26-06-2013, 9:36am
Useful info., and excellent images. Thanks.

Thank you for your nice comment, Ionica! :)

Belly
01-07-2013, 9:04pm
Lance these are fantastic images and to your usual standard:th3: They gave this 80-400 glowing reports in N-Photo and you have backed up their sentiments with results that a lot of prime lenses would be envious of. This new lens is certainly a massive step up from the old version which was well overdue for retirement. I Somehow feel more comfortably in thinking of trading my D700 for an 800E and this lens, great combo and walk-around weapon. They may look like Goats and yes, they are a distant relative however, they in fact Himalayan Tahr (Hemitragus jemlahicus). A mature male or Bull Tahr has a mane that rivals that of a mature male lion:eek:. They are a magnificent alpine ungulate and the Southern Alps of New Zealand is one place you could find them in the wild. Top stuff Lance and thanks for the info sharing, your a champ!!:th3::th3::th3:

Lance B
01-07-2013, 9:27pm
Lance these are fantastic images and to your usual standard:th3: They gave this 80-400 glowing reports in N-Photo and you have backed up their sentiments with results that a lot of prime lenses would be envious of. This new lens is certainly a massive step up from the old version which was well overdue for retirement. I Somehow feel more comfortably in thinking of trading my D700 for an 800E and this lens, great combo and walk-around weapon. They may look like Goats and yes, they are a distant relative however, they in fact Himalayan Tahr (Hemitragus jemlahicus). A mature male or Bull Tahr has a mane that rivals that of a mature male lion:eek:. They are a magnificent alpine ungulate and the Southern Alps of New Zealand is one place you could find them in the wild. Top stuff Lance and thanks for the info sharing, your a champ!!:th3::th3::th3:

Thank you ever so much for your glowing appraisal, Belly! Very much appreciated! :)

Yes, you are quite correct about them being Himalayan Tahr. I think I was being a bit too eager to post without looking up the correct name for them. Thank you for pointing that out. :)

Tommo1965
03-07-2013, 8:05am
Hi Lance

Id love a head to head vs the 70 -200 F2.8II if you ever get the chance :)

you have made the lens shine mate ..well done

Lance B
03-07-2013, 8:35am
Hi Lance

Id love a head to head vs the 70 -200 F2.8II if you ever get the chance :)

you have made the lens shine mate ..well done

Thank you for your lovely comment, Steve! :)

I dare say that the 70-200 f2.8 still has a slight edge as far as sharpness, it would be VERY close though and I doubt anyone would notice the difference in most situations. However, in all other departments, I think the 80-400 can at least match or better it. Things like vignetting are quite high on the 70-200 VRII as is focus breathing. However, they are not deal breakers for me with regards to the 70-200. Both are superb lenses. The big advantage of the 70-200 is the isolating ability of f2.8, whereas the big advantage for the 80-400 is of course it's range. For me, the 80-400 is a great travel zoom if you need to shoot animals/birds and if I ever go to Africa, then it will be the 80-400 + my 500 f4. :)

Unique Faces
19-07-2013, 5:00pm
I had the chance to test out this lens briefly on a D800. All I can is "Holy Cow" ! What a performer, especially at 400mm and handheld. The latest VR is just so so good.

Mitzy
24-07-2013, 6:44pm
Lance, great shots & surprising clarity at max zoom wide open. I must say it leaves my Nikon 18-300 for dead at max settings, it is soft, soft, soft. Have you had a chance to "Explore" some other settings that you can share with us now?

Steven Kemp
28-07-2013, 10:47pm
Fantastic images and great subjects. The D800E and the lens work well together. I understand the D800 can be used in either full frame or cropped format. Which did you use? I only ask to get a feel for how the lens might perform with the lower pixel count available on my D7000.

It would also be interesting to compare the len's performance against a nikon 70-200 F2.8 VRii with the Nikon 2x teleconverter strapped on?

S

Ross
29-07-2013, 3:24pm
Great shots you sure have good a technique (detail and colour beautiful).I've been tossing up between this lens or the 300mm f4 with a converter to go with D800.My old loyal 80-400 auto focus is a pain used for surf photography
in the early morning shooting towards sun coming up ... usually have to go to manual focus.

jemm
03-09-2013, 10:59pm
Hi! I have just been revisiting lenses I might want to have in my kit. I run a D300S and have the 18-105mm and found this lens this avo. You have got some great shots, but I was wondering what camera you used with it?

Lance B
04-09-2013, 6:33pm
I had the chance to test out this lens briefly on a D800. All I can is "Holy Cow" ! What a performer, especially at 400mm and handheld. The latest VR is just so so good.

Sorry for replying so late to your post, but I have been away for 4 weeks O/S and this thread would have been buried way back if it hadn't been revived yesterday by Jemm.

Thank you for your nice comments, this lens served me very well while OS shooting puffins on the Farne Islands off the NE coast of the UK. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Lance, great shots & surprising clarity at max zoom wide open. I must say it leaves my Nikon 18-300 for dead at max settings, it is soft, soft, soft. Have you had a chance to "Explore" some other settings that you can share with us now?

Sorry for replying so late to your post, but I have been away for 4 weeks O/S and this thread would have been buried way back if it hadn't been revived yesterday by Jemm.

Thank you for your nice comments, this lens served me very well while OS shooting puffins on the Farne Islands off the NE coast of the UK. Now that I have had a good chance to use this lens in good light, I have seen that stopped down, this lens is even better.

Here is a shot of a puffin @ 300mm f9 and a crop below.

http://www.pbase.com/lance_b/image/151985241/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/lance_b/image/151999601/original.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Fantastic images and great subjects. The D800E and the lens work well together. I understand the D800 can be used in either full frame or cropped format. Which did you use? I only ask to get a feel for how the lens might perform with the lower pixel count available on my D7000.

It would also be interesting to compare the len's performance against a nikon 70-200 F2.8 VRii with the Nikon 2x teleconverter strapped on?

S

Thank you for your nice comments, this lens served me very well while OS shooting puffins on the Farne Islands off the NE coast of the UK.

I used the lens in FF mode. The lens will perform perfectly on your D7000 and the 80-400 outfperforms the 70-200 f2.8 + 2x TCIII.

- - - Updated - - -

Great shots you sure have good a technique (detail and colour beautiful).I've been tossing up between this lens or the 300mm f4 with a converter to go with D800.My old loyal 80-400 auto focus is a pain used for surf photography
in the early morning shooting towards sun coming up ... usually have to go to manual focus.

As I have replied to the others, sorry for replying so late to your post, but I have been away for 4 weeks O/S and this thread would have been buried way back if it hadn't been revived yesterday by Jemm.

Thank you for your nice comments, this lens served me very well while OS shooting puffins on the Farne Islands off the NE coast of the UK.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi! I have just been revisiting lenses I might want to have in my kit. I run a D300S and have the 18-105mm and found this lens this avo. You have got some great shots, but I was wondering what camera you used with it?

Thank you for your nice comment, Jemm. I used a D800E with these photos.

Pixley
04-09-2013, 7:39pm
Great images Lance, the lens looks very impressive although I think the talent of the photographer plays a certain part as well:). I have been considering the new Sigma 120-300 but you just put this lens firmly in my field of view (not that I have the money right now but it is good to have a savings goal)! I suspect the Sigma is a much heavier beast and the 80-400 would be much easier to drag around - perhaps even hike with!

Lance B
04-09-2013, 8:12pm
Great images Lance, the lens looks very impressive although I think the talent of the photographer plays a certain part as well:). I have been considering the new Sigma 120-300 but you just put this lens firmly in my field of view (not that I have the money right now but it is good to have a savings goal)! I suspect the Sigma is a much heavier beast and the 80-400 would be much easier to drag around - perhaps even hike with!

Thank you ever so much for your lovely comments, Pixley.

There is no doubting the ability of the new Sigma 120-300 f2.8 OS, it is very sharp and has a reasonable zoom range and is an f2.8 lens, which is handy. But, with every benefit, there is a downside and that is weight and size, the Sigma is heavy and large = 3.3kg, 300mm long and a 105mm front filter! If you want a reasonably compact lens in both weight and physical size, then go the 80-400, but if you don't mind the weight and size, then the 120-300 f2.8 OS might possibly be a better option due to the fact it is f2.8, and you can still add a 1.4x TC to get a handy 168-420 f4 lens. From what I have seen from both lenses in capable hands, they are both as sharp as one another in the range that they both cover together ie the 120-300 range. I have the Nikon 300 f2.8 VRII, then there was no reason for me to look at the Sigma 120-300 f2.8 and why the 80-400 is a perfect fit for my needs.

Tommo1965
05-09-2013, 7:40am
I had a play with the sigma 120-300 OS lens..and its a heavy beast..and slow AF..about the same speed as a 50-1.4G....I wouldn't want to carry it far

Lance B
05-09-2013, 8:21am
I had a play with the sigma 120-300 OS lens..and its a heavy beast..and slow AF..about the same speed as a 50-1.4G....I wouldn't want to carry it far

Thank you for the info, Steve. That wouldn't make it a good choice for sports or BIF. :(

Tommo1965
05-09-2013, 7:06pm
to be honest mate Im not too sure what its going to be good for unless they can improve the af..yes way too slow for sport and BIF....and Id say that FL would excel at touchline footy etc and its a quality built lens..so a real pity

Tommo1965
09-09-2013, 8:01pm
Lance..I meant to ask what if any noise reduction software you use..as the samples you have shown at 6400 ISo are super clean

Lance B
10-09-2013, 11:31am
Lance..I meant to ask what if any noise reduction software you use..as the samples you have shown at 6400 ISo are super clean

Hi Thommo,

I use Noiseware Professional by Imagenomic, It is a brilliant noise reduction program.

http://imagenomic.com/nw.aspx

Tommo1965
10-09-2013, 7:02pm
Thanks for the reply Lance..Ill check it out...what workflow do you use with the noise reduction software ..from memory you're a capture one user..as am I...so how do you incorporate that with the noiseware ...? do you save as a tiff after you have finished with the Nef ..or a Jpeg..or neither ?....your images are the best bar none that ive seen at 6400 iso and id like to follow your lead ..:)

Lance B
12-09-2013, 9:52am
Sorry for late reply, Steve.

Yes, I use Capture One Pro 7 to convert from RAW to 16bit TIFF. In Capture One Pro 7 (COP7), where necessary, I adjust saturation, exposure, WB, lens aberrations, keystoning, horizon level, etc. I leave any noise reduction in COP7 at standard as there is very little it uses anyway and it doesn't seem to affect the image. I have disabled any sharpening on the output from COP7, although, sometimes a very small amount of output sharpening can assist.

I then open up the 16bit TIFF in Photoshop CS6 and do a few tweaks there. First order of business is to apply noise reduction using Noiseware Professional plug in for photoshop but only if required. I then do other tweaks to the image that I find better/easier than Capture One Pro7, like lassoing to balance exposure or WB, colour balance, clone stamping etc. I then reduce for web size and then the last step I ever do is sharpen using Power Retouche plug-in for Photoshop. Only problem with Power Retouche plug-in is that it is only 32 bit, so I have two version available for Photoshop, 32bit and 64 bit. It is the best sharpening system I have ever used without going to lots of trouble.

I think that about covers it.

Tommo1965
12-09-2013, 11:52am
Thanks mate that was very useful....Ill try try the plug in...:)

Mitzy
13-09-2013, 9:07pm
Lance, I have also been away & reason for my questions was to decide if the 80-400 would be best choice for my trip (birding mainly). Well I bought it and I am very happy. THe old rule of getting close as possible to your subject still applies but for birds in the wild this lens give me the range to capture some quite acceptable images. Of course the D7100 marries with it to provide greater potential to get that "perfect shot". When I have time to sift thru all of my efforts I will post some up.
Thanks for your comments.

Lance B
14-09-2013, 11:18am
Lance, I have also been away & reason for my questions was to decide if the 80-400 would be best choice for my trip (birding mainly). Well I bought it and I am very happy. THe old rule of getting close as possible to your subject still applies but for birds in the wild this lens give me the range to capture some quite acceptable images. Of course the D7100 marries with it to provide greater potential to get that "perfect shot". When I have time to sift thru all of my efforts I will post some up.
Thanks for your comments.

I am very glad that the lens was a good choice for you. The more I use it, the more I really really like it and it is so darn close in sharpness to my 300 f2.8 VRII + 1.4x TCII from f8+ that I rarely miss using the 300 + 1.4xTCII. There is no doubt that the 300 (+1.4x TC) had the edge due to f2.8 (f4) and better bokeh etc, but as a zoom it is amazing.

I look forward to your results.

mcdesign
06-12-2013, 8:56am
Many thanks for your excellent appraisal of this lens Lance, I have been looking at getting it for some time but have been unable to find a store that carries it for me to have a look, based on your write up and great images it is what I am looking for and is lighter than my current Sigma 120-400 mm, it is impossible to use beyond 360 mm! Have you used it with a TC? MC

Lance B
10-12-2013, 5:36pm
Many thanks for your excellent appraisal of this lens Lance, I have been looking at getting it for some time but have been unable to find a store that carries it for me to have a look, based on your write up and great images it is what I am looking for and is lighter than my current Sigma 120-400 mm, it is impossible to use beyond 360 mm! Have you used it with a TC? MC

Sorry for the late reply, but only just saw that you had responded, Margaret.

I have used the 80-400 with a Nikon 1.4x TCII and the photo results were very good with only minimal degredation in IQ. However, you need to stop down one stop past maximum aperture to get the best from the combo. So, at 400mm the lens is actually 560mm with a maximum aperture of f8, but needs to be at f11 for it to be decent. It is still quite good t f8, but is very good at f11. Only issue then is that you are shooting slow shutter speeds or quite high ISO to compensate.

Have you tried George's Cameras on George St?

mcdesign
11-12-2013, 8:46am
Many thanks Lance, I live north of Newcastle so getting into Sydney isn't an option, based on your report I will get this lens in the new year, I doubt that I will need a TC, the D7100 has a 3.1x in camera crop that is great for bird photography, this lens will be faster than my current one.

Once again, many thanks. M

rirakuma
12-12-2013, 12:01am
very nice!

Lance B
12-12-2013, 8:35am
very nice!

Thank you very much! :)

ROA44
12-12-2013, 9:59am
How do you find it compares with the Sigma 120 - 400 apart from weight/size.

Lance B
12-12-2013, 10:37am
How do you find it compares with the Sigma 120 - 400 apart from weight/size.

I have never used the Sigma 100-400, so I can't comment on that. However, I find that the 80-400 is quite light.

ROA44
12-12-2013, 11:11am
My apologies must have gotten mixed up with someone else. Reading so many post and reviews Ive' lost track of who's got what.

bricat
15-12-2013, 8:33am
I don't come over to the "dark" side very often but was pleased to read this post. Not only were the shots excellent but the follow-up lens appraisal also. Well done:th3: cheers Brian

Lance B
15-12-2013, 11:01am
I don't come over to the "dark" side very often but was pleased to read this post. Not only were the shots excellent but the follow-up lens appraisal also. Well done:th3: cheers Brian

Thank you very much for your kind comments, Brian! :)

AVALANCHE
15-12-2013, 6:47pm
Superb quality photos. Had to keep reminding myself I was looking at ISO6400 and wide open...enjoyed looking through the photos, thanks!

Lance B
15-12-2013, 6:48pm
Superb quality photos. Had to keep reminding myself I was looking at ISO6400 and wide open...enjoyed looking through the photos, thanks!

Thank you ever so much for your lovely comments, AVALANCHE! :th3: