PDA

View Full Version : Photobucket/Flickr or... ?

Dazz1
18-05-2013, 9:03am
I notice a lot of people using flicker to store photos. In the past I have used photobucket. One review I read said photobucket is marginally better. Just wondering what peoples' thoughts are on this.

Also, I have been trying to search out info on how to use AP's gallery, but I haven't been successful. What are the rules and how does it work?

ricktas
18-05-2013, 9:09am
flickr or photobucket is really just personal choice. I use photobucket, but also have a flickr account (that I use occasionally). Both of them do alter the way your photo will look, and it is up to each person to decide what they like. Recently I have started using dropbox cause I got 50GB free with my Samsung S3 phone.

Re the AP Gallery, it is only available to use for members with over 50 posts AND 30 days membership. It is not a critique part of the site and is our free gallery for regular active site members to use, just like using Flickr/Photobucket. Once you get access to the Gallery you can post your photos to it and then link into the CC forums, or even to other sites, from the Gallery. However, photobucket and flickr allow much larger sized photos than our gallery does, which is limited to the same as the forums (250kb and 1024 pixels on the longest side, maximum).

Dazz1
18-05-2013, 9:15am
flickr or photobucket is really just personal choice. I use photobucket, but also have a flickr account (that I use occasionally). Both of them do alter the way your photo will look, and it is up to each person to decide what they like. Recently I have started using dropbox cause I got 50GB free with my Samsung S3 phone.

Re the AP Gallery, it is only available to use for members with over 50 posts AND 30 days membership. It is not a critique part of the site and is our free gallery for regular active site members to use, just like using Flickr/Photobucket. Once you get access to the Gallery you can post your photos to it and then link into the CC forums, or even to other sites, from the Gallery. However, photobucket and flickr allow much larger sized photos than our gallery does, which is limited to the same as the forums (250kb and 1024 pixels on the longest side, maximum).

Thanks Rick, I suspected the gallery access would become available after I had been here a while. I will continue to use photobucket meanwhile.

ameerat42
18-05-2013, 11:57am
Since you asked, I will say use Flickr, as PBucket creates problems with links. Here and in other links I usually only get a small
image-holder icon and a few attempts are needed to see a picture.
Am.

Dazz1
18-05-2013, 2:46pm
Since you asked, I will say use Flickr, as PBucket creates problems with links. Here and in other links I usually only get a small
image-holder icon and a few attempts are needed to see a picture.
Am.

Well, if that happens, yes, it would be a good reason to switch.

MattNQ
18-05-2013, 8:12pm
I find Smugmug works very well. Displays galleries much better than Flikr.
I did start using Flikr recently to try it out. Personally I find it annoying & hate it.
I also have photobucket - I stopped using it for myself though - found to be very slooooow & a bit clumsy - I still use it for our athletics club as you can send people a password for the library & they can download full res images, which is handy.

ameerat42
18-05-2013, 8:17pm
Well, there you go!
Somewhere.

Dazz1
18-05-2013, 9:07pm
Well, there you go!
Somewhere.

:) I guess knowing that different people find many different places effective for their purpose, is useful info. I just have to choose for myself! :Doh:

welly
18-05-2013, 9:42pm
I've started just using Dropbox for my forum post images. It's dead simple and I can manage it all a bit easier and quicker than uploading to Flickr and having spend time organising that.